The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Dehydration cracks and braces

I have a old and dry Alvarez Yiari CY 140

It has some fairly minor cracks due to dehydration. It seems that it should be fixable as it sounds great and the damage is minor.

One crack runs along the side of a brace. The brace is fine and secure, but how to cleat when it is in such a location?

Right now the guitar is being gently hydrated, so I think I have a few weeks before I try anything.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2022, 11:41 PM

A crack that runs alongside a brace is a bad crack to have, the brace becomes a termination point for the tops stresses, so the crack will consistently keep opening up.

In an ideal workld, remove the brace, cleat the top, refit the brace at a new location, if new location cannot be achieved, notch the brace to accomodate for the cleat
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-12-2022, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Dehydration cracks and braces

Thanks for the response.

So what about using a small cleat glued to the corner of the top meeting the brace?

The crack is a typical one, extending in the lower bout from the bridge to the end, but the brace runs straight here, no angle, so the grain cracked right along it.

Getting to that location and removing the brace or carving it out won’t be simple.

It seems there is a mechanical advantage to fanning the braces a bit. But I don’t know much about that.

The crack isn’t open at all, but pushes up a tiny bit, maybe a millimeter and is easily pushed back down. If that means anything.

I want to repair it myself and not involve high cost and professionals. I don’t think the guitar is that worth it, but I would like to get it playable without screwing it up too much.

I appreciate thoughts!

Last edited by Jamolay; 06-12-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
So what about using a small cleat glued to the corner of the top meeting the brace? !
You could, but I genuinley believe it will fail, you have to cleat the area properly to stop future seperation from stresses and move the brace or notch it over the repair
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
You could, but I genuinley believe it will fail, you have to cleat the area properly to stop future seperation from stresses and move the brace or notch it over the repair

I see how that could happen. Thanks for the input. I have some small carving tools, so I will see if I can manage at least a little cutout and get a cleat to both sides of the crack.

Sounds like a job that involves a lot of under the breath cursing….
Old 06-14-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I thought I would add a link to pictures in case anyone had additional ideas.

https://imgur.com/a/IRy741P
Old 06-26-2022, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Well fixed up and playing nicely for the first time in decades!

Not an example of fine work, but I did my best and didn’t screw it up. Saved a nice old guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair