The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-29-2022, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default 1920s Regal parlor full rebuild: Getting ready for the tension test

What I call a "tension test" simulates the conditions of full string tension on a guitar that has the bridge in place but where the neck assembly can still be attached and removed to make adjustments to the vertical or horizontal alignment. Our 1920's Regal just got the new bone saddle fitted so out comes a fresh set of D'Addario EJ26 Custom Light strings and let the testing begin.

It didn't take too long to see that alignment on both planes needs tweaking. Although the neck appears to fit snugly to the body as I join the two features by hand (Photo 1), the fit under full string tension tells a different story. Photo 2 shows a wee lifting of the neck heel at the very rear that needs attention to be nice and snug. Looking better rarely means we're finished with adjustments. The tension test lasts a week at least and additional adjustments are generally the norm. I'll keep working at it until it's perfectly flush and tight under full string tension.

The horizontal plane is hurting and not quite where I want it to be. Photo 3 shows how the outer two strings are skewed off center toward the treble side. After a few passes with the 180 grit sand paper strip to the bass side of the neck heel, the strings are getting closer to being centered. However, this can change as well so I'll keep an eye on it to see if the neck decides to move one way or the other prompting another tweak or two. Photo 4 shows how I'll leave it for now and wait for the guitar to tell me what I should do next.

While the tension test does its thing, I'll perform some housekeeping tasks to keep things moving closer to completion. I still need to refinish the neck from have been re profiled. This task will require the neck to be removed from the body so I'll perform some alignment tweaks at the same time. I still need to scrape the top and back binding flush. I also need to swap out the temporary nut to a permanent one with the string spacing I want.

We're getting close...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (26.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg image6.jpg (32.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg image0 6.jpg (37.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg image2 4.jpg (37.5 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by vintageparlors; 06-29-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default 1920s Regal parlor full rebuild: pre-soundclip pics!

Here's what the old gal looks like today. Neck has been finished to match body. Neck alignment has been corrected to center the strings between the fretboard and the nut has been shaped for fit properly in its final resting place. I'll let things settle in for a couple of days and then record a soundclip to post on the shop's FACEBOOK page. I'll add a link here for easy access.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image4 3.jpg (44.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (42.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg image3 4.jpg (57.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (46.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg image0 6.jpg (39.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg image1 5.jpg (59.5 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by vintageparlors; 07-03-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Nice work!

I have been following this rebuid, and the results are stellar. I also learned that I don't have the skill or proper tools to even attempt a project like this. That's why it is great that there are skilled luthiers like yourself! Speaking of vintage parlors, I commissioned you to build me a 12 fret, x-braced, cedar topped parlor three years ago. It was completed and shipped the first week of June 2019 and I am still enjoying to this day!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:37 PM

That result is so nice and I’ll bet it’s a joy to play. I have been developing a true appreciation of what you have accomplished as I have been working on my sister-in-law’s KayKraft c. 1935. There are so many details and repairs on these little beasties. Even a simple repair is complicated when you have to match stains and finishes, or consider when to remove the original piece and start fresh.

Great work Steve. I love your concept of making a vintage parlor guitar playable and giving it a new life. IMO it’s so much better than the ‘museum’ concept where nothing is to be changed and all flaws must remain in stasis.

Bravo!

Rick
Old 07-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this thread, I’ve really enjoyed following along and appreciate the talent you possess to have accomplished this restoration. The results are superb!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I've been following this re-build thread from the beginning and it has been fascinating to me. Thanks for letting us follow along and thanks for saving an old piece of guitar history from the trash!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-07-2022, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default 1920s Regal parlor full rebuild: Video sound sample

The 1920's Regal 0-size, 12-fret in ladder braced birch FULL REBUILD thread is pretty much done. For anyone interested in hearing how it sounds, here's link to the shop's FACEBOOK page where I post a video soundclip of most vintage guitar repairs and rebuilds that pass through the shop.

https://www.facebook.com/13371593331...07117541445292

Thank you to srick and everyone who followed this thread, especially those who commented along the way. I hope you picked up something that might help you in your own repairs or rebuilds and, maybe, breakdown some apprehensions about trying out a rebuild of your own. A 60's Harmony Stella is a great "first project" guitar and lord knows there are plenty still out there begging for help.

I've added below some still photos of the how the guitar looked when this thread first started back in March 2022. Still photos of how the guitar looks now are my 7/3/22 post above. I'll be posting this guitar for sale on the shop's website soon if it doesn't sell beforehand.

BEFORE YOU GO...if could vote on the subject of our next AGF vintage parlor FULL REBUILD thread, would you choose: a 1930s S.S Maxwell solid mahogany terz or a 1940s Supertone Gene Autry 0-size 12-fret in spruce/birch. Comment here to help me decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20s Regal copy.jpg (58.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpeg image7 2.jpeg (47.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg image5 2.jpeg (35.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg image1 2 copy.jpeg (52.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg image2 2.jpeg (55.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpeg image6 2.jpeg (39.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 07-15-2022, 04:14 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I find this work inspiring!

I would love to have the skills to take what most would have regarded as trash and transform it back into a beautiful instrument.

Thanks for posting and letting us follow along. It is an amazing thing that you do!
Old 07-16-2022, 07:20 AM

I've been following this thread with great interest. As for the next project -- I don't have a preference between the two possibilities, I just can't wait to follow along on whichever one is next!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair