The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Well that's their loss I suppose...

I was lucky enough to play it when I stopped by Bruce's shop in mid-May (pre-Memphis). It was a GREAT sounding and playing guitar. It surprised the heck out of me. I had played some all mahogany and koa factory guitars that really did not sound at all like this unusual and beautiful guitar.

With my eyes closed, I could never had told you what it was made from. I am glad to have had the rare experience to try it.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As usual, the recent Memphis event left me a bit burned out. At this point I have done no actual lutherie in about 3 months, and since I have some commissioned work to get to, I thought I'd better make a spec piece to get myself tuned up; I would not like to be at less than my best when somebody is counting on me!

I was quite discouraged by the lack of interest shown in the All Walnut guitar I featured on my Memphis table. I was pretty careful not to say too much about my own impressions of it, preferring to count on AGFers that I imagined would come by to have a look see. If anyone did, they didn't say anything to me about it! Aside from fit and finish and general concept, which speak for themselves, the thing is, "How does it sound?". Personally, I would have crossed a busy eight lane highway for the answer to that question. It is a genuinely interesting piece of work, IMO.

On the road to the event I received a phone call from a man who had recently acquired one of my older Mini-Ds, the Cambodian/Adi one, and he talked me out of the new BRW/Adi one I showed. I was hesitant to sell it as I prefer to actually have for sale work on the table, but money talks, as they say. I told him the guitar is similar to the one he had already, but more so, and with the BRW thing, which is true. He has received it at this point and I won't be getting it back, so my spec build will be something similar; an FT-000-D Kerala (Mini-D) in BRW/Adi.

Today I joined the plates, stay tuned!
Mean. Yup, mean that FT-15D aka FT-000-D.

That first one in Cambodian Rosewood is so well balanced and brings that sonic boom you want from a dred when called upon. Cambodian Rosewood is the new go to Dalbergia on the block. Finished in 2011, the original price tag began at the old price base of $10,500. Today's base is $13,500+.

This 2015 FT-15/000-D is called a Kerala primarily for its 13 fret placement. 13 fretters seem to create a lot of depth of sound. The Brazilian of course just has a tone of its own no matter where it goes especially in the hands of a master like Bruce.

In an A/B comp between these and other big boys in the closet, it is hands down that the smaller mini D can be more impressive. Sounds like, plays like, (only better) than a full sized dreadnought.

I predict that this will be Sexauer's newest breakthrough model. Oh, and look out you SJ lover's the new girl is in town!

Thanks,
Alan
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 07-03-2015, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Alan,

I did get a chance to audition your FT-15-D Kerala in mid-May when I visited Bruce's shop. It was simply a FANTASTIC guitar! It pretty much did everything that one looks for in a guitar with an excellent mix of wood, string, fundamentals, overtones with punch and projection. I also found it physically much more comfortable and sonically balanced than a standard D to boot.

Kudos on your new guitar!

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
Mean. Yup, mean that FT-15D aka FT-000-D.

That first one in Cambodian Rosewood is so well balanced and brings that sonic boom you want from a dred when called upon. Cambodian Rosewood is the new go to Dalbergia on the block. Finished in 2011, the original price tag began at the old price base of $10,500. Today's base is $13,500+.

This 2015 FT-15/000-D is called a Kerala primarily for its 13 fret placement. 13 fretters seem to create a lot of depth of sound. The Brazilian of course just has a tone of its own no matter where it goes especially in the hands of a master like Bruce.

In an A/B comp between these and other big boys in the closet, it is hands down that the smaller mini D can be more impressive. Sounds like, plays like, (only better) than a full sized dreadnought.

I predict that this will be Sexauer's newest breakthrough model. Oh, and look out you SJ lover's the new girl is in town!

Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Alan,

I did get a chance to audition your FT-15-D Kerala in mid-May when I visited Bruce's shop. It was simply a FANTASTIC guitar! It pretty much did everything that one looks for in a guitar with an excellent mix of wood, string, fundamentals, overtones with punch and projection. I also found it physically much more comfortable and sonically balanced than a standard D to boot.

Kudos on your new guitar!

Bob
Thanks Bob.
I wish I could have tried the L00. It too, I imagine is as sweet as wine.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good to read you here, Palolowarrior. Thank you.

This BRW I got quite recently from Tom Thiel of Northwind Tonewoods, or so it feels to me. I was surprised to see the note I made and stuck to the wood that says I got it in 2009. He told me the wood came from a dead fall that subsequently survived a fire which actually destroyed most of the log, if i remember correctly. I picked up 2 sets at Woodstock, where Tom generally has a pretty ambitious display of materials for sale.

The Adirondack came from another California luthier's stash, and has been in my shop only for a few months. Looks like really nice stuff to me, and we're going to find out how nice in a month or so.

I surfaced the joined plates this morning, and here is a glimpse:

Old 07-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

The classic combination of BRW and Adi--looks like beautiful stuff, Bruce! Looking forward to this one...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

As many of know, I got into this game so that I could have better guitars than I could otherwise afford. Be careful wha you wish for!

Here is today's recording; My cracked L-00/pernambuco on both tracks:

Lost Everything.

Edited to add a picture of the inside of the back, ready to brace:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-03-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add a pic
Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Just do it!

It I were you...I'd reserve this build for your closet.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Fun tune, Bruce, and really nice playing.
Can tell you've been to a bluegrass gathering!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

My friend/customer Tad dropped by last week with his new/used FT-15-D acquisition, and while here gifted me a really intensely great piece of Redwood burl. It occurs to me the last time this happened, the giver was Steve Kinnaird, several years ago. In both cases I immediately incorporated the giftburl into a rosette. Thank you to both of you!

These photos do not begin to do justice to this material, but I can't let that stop me.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
My friend/customer Tad dropped by last week with his new/used FT-15-D acquisition, and while here gifted me a really intensely great piece of Redwood burl. It occurs to me the last time this happened, the giver was Steve Kinnaird, several years ago. In both cases I immediately incorporated the giftburl into a rosette. Thank you to both of you!
No kidding? You were able to use that burl? Sweet.
Happy to have a wee part in one of your guitars. And by the way, that rosette above is beautiful!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 07-04-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Kant spel wurth nuttin
Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
As many of know, I got into this game so that I could have better guitars than I could otherwise afford. Be careful wha you wish for!

Here is today's recording; My cracked L-00/pernambuco on both tracks:

Lost Everything.

Edited to add a picture of the inside of the back, ready to brace:
I really like that tune and your playing style, Bruce, and especially on the guitar you played it on. I think the reason I might not have had more to say about your walnut guitar is that I was kind of in shock after first playing this L-00 pernambuco one, falling in love with it's amazing tone and playability, then finding out it had cracked in New Mexico. Sometimes I imagine taking a trip out your way just to play that beautiful light ( and full of light) 00 again.

Bruce
Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here my tune of day:

Faster

Slower

This is All-Walnut.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

In other news:

I had yet another photo session today with yet another serious talent. This man, Gary Kaplan, is mounting a one man show in the Petaluma Museum next month. It's subject is local artists and features both the artists, and the artwork. My market is not local at all, but this development may put my face on the local map, which sounds like fun, potentially. in any case, I am honored to be invited.

Here is the current state of the new Mini-D. Someone mentioned the knot or branch proximity marks in the lower bout. That not what they are, they are paint, the same stuff the spiderwebbing is made from. This BRW is very good stuff, and will not be particularly pale when the finish goes on, I think.

Traditional back strip:

The top is braced and I just glued in the end blocks:
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Here my tune of day:

Faster

Slower

This is All-Walnut.
Ok, I sometimes think of taking a trip out to where you are to play the L00 Pernambuco, and the Walnut, and whatever else you built that is available to play. I do like your style of play and the song. Very nice feeling.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop