The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Wow,

this is just beautiful. The back is incredible!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:24 AM

I would highly encourage anyone looking for a Stehr to consider the Ebony SJ Joel is working on. His guitars are phenomenal, not to mention absolute works of art. I am really enjoying this build thread, this will be a beautiful guitar which will compliment your Myrtle Auditorium perfectly!
Martin J-41
Old 06-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

So I'm really kind of bummed that TomB'sox hasn't chimed in here on his thoughts for what the back head plate looks like to him. To me, it looks like there's a bluejay or a cardinal with the tuner hole for an eye. Granted, it's got a long neck and all, but hey, I can see it there! Just thought I'd throw this out there since I haven't updated the thread for a few....
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post

So I'm really kind of bummed that TomB'sox hasn't chimed in here on his thoughts for what the back head plate looks like to him. To me, it looks like there's a bluejay or a cardinal with the tuner hole for an eye. Granted, it's got a long neck and all, but hey, I can see it there! Just thought I'd throw this out there since I haven't updated the thread for a few....
Gosh, I hate to disappoint and become derelict in my duties, sometimes I am unsure if people actually want my insight, however, since you asked......Yes, that is obviously a bird, however, if I may be so bold, it is a Sand Hill Crane, noted to migrate and live in areas of Wisconsin and probably the UP of Michigan. Lovely birds, really cool to see, and there it is on the headstock!!!!! Super cool...hahah
Old 06-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
...Yes, that is obviously a bird, however, if I may be so bold, it is a Sand Hill Crane, noted to migrate and live in areas of Wisconsin and probably the UP of Michigan. Lovely birds, really cool to see, and there it is on the headstock!!!!! Super cool...hahah
Love it, Tom! Thanks for chiming in, man--we always appreciate your opinion!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 PM

I rest my case hahaha

Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Received a small batch of pics from Joel yesterday. He's progressing work on the neck and the box is now closed! He's almost done with the arm bevel, so I'm really looking forward to seeing that! Another week or two and this one should be heading to the finisher. Joel also likes to reassure me of his shop security, so he sent me a shot of Pickles, the junkyard shop dog enforcer. Thanks for all the comments and for following along!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Oh I feel certain your guitar is safe, no one would dare mess with Pickles! Now I know why Joel doesn't mind spending late nights in the shop. The guitar is progressing beautifully, congrats and keep the pics coming!
Martin J-41
Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
The guitar is progressing beautifully, congrats and keep the pics coming!
Thanks, Dave! Joel sent me a sneak peak of the fingerboard yesterday and has promised more pictures soon. We're continuing the coco binding with maple purfling theme on the macassar fretboard. I wanted to keep the fretboard fairly simple and yet incorporate some of Joel's killer signature leaves--they really provide an awesome look and splash of color! The intent is to have the main maple stem on the fretboard continue the curve on upward from the rosewood stem on the rosette. I'm really looking forward to seeing the neck and fretboard on the body to see how it all comes together. More to come--thanks for following along.....

Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Leaves!

There they are! He has such an eye for visually pleasing touches. I have loved the look of every Stehr I have seen on the forum and on his site. I am really enjoying watching this one come together.
Shane
Old 07-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Super cool, love it love it love it....
Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree, this looks incredible so far. I really have loved every Stehr I have seen and this one is not going to disappoint. Congratulations this is going to be a fantastic build.

I agree about everyone's work, I mean it is amazing. I wish I had unlimited funds because I would order a McKnight, an Edwinson, a Charis, another Kinnaird, a Sexauer, a Kostal, a Michaud, a Leach, a Hatcher, a Wren, a Kraut, and about 10 more that I can't think of right now... I mean really, would any of us not be happy with any one of the above. Yes, I know I did not list them all, and by that mean no slight, just cut the grass, having a little adult cocktail and doing some lists on the spot. These luthiers are amazing. For someone like me that can play a little and love beautiful woods and building things, the guitar is the perfect blend of that along with pure artistry.

Congrats to all builders and those of us lucky enough to have saved enough to afford to commission a build....

Hey, Tom, you pretty much filled out my ultimate wish list too! Even though I'm a full-time luthier, there are so many other guitar makers (DEFINITELY including Joel Stehr!) whose work inspires the heck out of me, my fondest wish is that I could actually own and play some of their stellar instruments.
... And I like to fantasize about what I would do if I had unlimited financial resources. First, I would buy the very finest tonewood I could find, and continue building guitars, because I simply love to do it. Second, I would commission an instrument from each one of the people you mentioned, and several others, and ask each of them to build whatever they want to build- leave it totally up to their own individual judgement.
And third, I would get serious about playing again, and spend three hours a day practicing.
Wouldn't THAT be the life, eh?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Default More pics!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, guys! As I mentioned earlier, I feel extremely blessed and fortunate to be able to have Joel build this guitar for me. Guitars are really beautiful works of art, and I'm extremely lucky to have a few of these wonderful instruments.

So on that note, Joel delivered on his promise and sent some more photos for me drool over. The arm bevel just blows me away, and the combination and culmination of all the elements coming together is a wonder to behold. This BRW/Adi beauty is getting closer and closer to being shipped off to the finisher--then the hard part begins with waiting for it to return. I know it will all be worth it though.....

The final pic is Ernie--the shop supervisor, with a watchful eye over all things that Stehr Guitars puts out. Thanks again for following along!

And my personal favorite pic...

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM

That is really coming along beautifully. I love the bevel also, but I really think that top is gorgeous, beautiful tight straight grain....that is gonna be a looker and a sounder....
Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Joel, it's another masterpiece right around the corner. Lovely work!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop