The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-05-2015, 04:55 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

This is a cool bracing pattern, and I've only seen one other luthier use anything close to it, Michael Greenfield. I'm really looking forward to following along.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

This guitar is looking great! I'm really curious about your new back bracing pattern. I'm going to have to hear that. I am really loving the sound of my Edwinson "Blackthorn" guitar and she's getting almost daily playtime. You should hear how nicely this guitar has opened up.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
This guitar is looking great! I'm really curious about your new back bracing pattern. I'm going to have to hear that. I am really loving the sound of my Edwinson "Blackthorn" guitar and she's getting almost daily playtime. You should hear how nicely this guitar has opened up.

Whoa. What is that?!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Whoa. What is that?!
Hi, Roger! This guitar is an Edwinson Consort Venetian which I built in 2011. I took it to the Healdsburg Guitar Festival that summer, and J.R.- OUR J.R., founder and owner of this Forum- bought it. I called this guitar the "Blackthorne Consort". By the way, J.R. is also the owner of my first prototype Falcon guitar, which he acquired at the Healdsburg '09 show- beginning what has become an enduring friendship between us.

I doubt we will ever see any more Macassar Ebony like this. It's getting so rare, and this type of exotic figure just doesn't appear anymore. I'm glad J.R. got this guitar!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back inlay.....

Steve...
What was your inspiration (or was it analytical thought process) for such a non-traditional back inlay? Was there an imperfection in the wood that required the embellishment to cover it? Did your creative eye feel that the wide sapwood appeared too plain when joined, in contrast to the beautiful figure of the rest of the back? Or...did you just decide that you wanted to do try something really radical and non-traditional with this expensive and one-of-a-kind back set?

Whatever it was that led you to this design, it worked well. Give us some insight into the design process if you would, please.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Steve...
What was your inspiration (or was it analytical thought process) for such a non-traditional back inlay? Was there an imperfection in the wood that required the embellishment to cover it? Did your creative eye feel that the wide sapwood appeared too plain when joined, in contrast to the beautiful figure of the rest of the back? Or...did you just decide that you wanted to do try something really radical and non-traditional with this expensive and one-of-a-kind back set?

Whatever it was that led you to this design, it worked well. Give us some insight into the design process if you would, please.
Hey, Joel! You are right on both counts- there was a small inclusion along the back center joint- about the size of a quarter. No big deal, but it bothered me, looking at it. Also, there was a wide expanse of sapwood that just looked like it could use some embellishment.
At the time, I had a client who asked me to explore the idea of doing a rosette in the style of "tribal tattoo" art. So I got online to look at some examples. One thing led to another, and I sat down to make a sketch for a back inlay on this guitar. The resulting design isn't really like a tribal tattoo design, but it's what I came up with when I riffed on the idea.

And I figured, this was going to be a Healdsburg guitar, so why not pull out all the stops. Sure enough, J.R. spotted it, and decided he wanted it. Good for both of us!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Blackwood Rose guitar- a brief update, with photos to follow after the binding and trim work are done.
I am juggling four guitars at the moment. Lots to do here! I'm jumping back and forth between projects, trying to make substantial progress, so the spectre of Memphis doesn't look too daunting. Ken is very generous with his patience; so I am taking the Blackwood Rose project at a measured, well-considered pace. I want it to be as perfect as I can make it!

The Blackwood Rose body is all buttoned up- top and back and sides are all one unit now. I ordered some Black Pearl Zipflex purfling from Kevin Ryan. This will embellish the guitar top, fingerboard, and headstock. The bindings, and the arm, rib, and cutaway bevels, will be highly figured Ziricote, which I think will be a beautiful combination with the dark, sumptuous Blackwood.
Ken and I have also decided to use the same Ziricote for the fingerboard, headstock, and bridge.
You'll have to use your imagination for the time being; the big reveal will come soon though!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's crazy.....but I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this guitar as if it were being created for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 AM

So am I! Enjoy 😄
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
So am I! Enjoy 😄
You absolutely chose well when you picked Steve to create this guitar for you. I'll get to see it at the end of March when I travel up to Birmingham for my annual Spring Crappie fishing excursion...where I'll be prying him away from this project for a day and will force him to embrace his inner-angler.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Construction should be mostly complete by mid-March- although I do get interrupted on a regular basis. Today, a crew came in to clean out all the heating/cooling ducts in the house, and I had to move a ton of machinery and shop furniture to give them access. But I still got the rib bevel trimmed out. Now, for the arm and cutaway bevels...

Looking forward to the fishing outing, Joel! I'm going to get a lot of work done between now and then, so I'll have a clear conscience about playing hooky for a day!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Time for an update!
February has been a weird month. I keep getting pulled away by external events, and some days, it's been tough to stay focused. I made a deal with myself to only work on the Blackwood Rose when I can have plenty of clear time and space to GO DEEP. Precious little of that lately...
But finally, I managed to get the purflings/bindings and bevel trim done; so the sound box is essentially finished. As always, a million thanks to Ken for being so patient and kind during the course of this build.

You will notice that we chose some highly figured Ziricote for bindings and bevels. The soundboard is purfled with Tahitian Black Pearl- and we are going to continue that theme on the fingerboard and headstock as well.
The side purflings are flamed Maple, 3/64" thick, so a little more than double the thickness of a plain veneer line. You will be able to see the flame figure under finish, later. Here, that's not so evident yet.

We are also going to use a beautifully figured, quartersawn Ziricote fingerboard, and a matching front headstock plate.
Here are some photos of our current status:

Here's something you don't see too often- a cutaway with bevel!

Sinuous curves, designed for comfort:

More soon, stay tuned. Thanks for looking!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 PM

....oh my goodness!
I can't catch my breath....
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Be still, mine heart...
Whoa there, heart...really...slow down...
Can't catch breath...palpitations...arrhythmia...help...medic
Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that is gorgeous!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Amazing work, Steve! Simply stunning...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop