The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Default Rosewood Project

If you've click on the link in my signature you know I've been working on 4 dreads with different Rosewood back and sides for a while. This started out with 2 commissions. I decided to add the other 2 for a comparison. I done everything I could do to make them identical, except for the back and sides. All the tops weigh the same, are the same thickness and have the same stiffness. Same goes for the bracing.

The tops are Adirondack Spruce. The necks are laminated Mahogany with a East Indian Rosewood strip in the middle. Fingerboards are Ebony with Maple binding. Bridge are Brazilian Rosewood dyed black, to match the Fingerboards. The rosettes are abalone, with Maple body binding and herringbone purfling. Tuners are Gotoh. The headplates are the same as the back and sides of each individual guitars. Saddle and nuts are bone. You can read more and see more pictures here. Rosewood Project Here's a couple pictures.

Here's a picture of AGF member Broadus playing one.

There's a thread with sound clips and a poll in the General Acoustic section, but I thought the main specs and pictures belonged in this section.
Link to other thread with poll
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

They all look great woody!!!! I would love to have a chance to play them all and A/B them!!! They sound great on the other thread!! Keep up the good work
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Beautiful work Woody, very cool to have all of them hanging there together.

I really like the shape of the head stock, nice. Looks good on Bill too-
Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 AM

Beautiful. I see maple binding on the one being held. Do you round off the corners of your binding? I have that one one of my guitars and love how comfortable it is on your arm. I'm just curious because I'm starting an East Indian rosewood guitar soon as the new thickness sander shows up.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM

I slightly round the corners on all binding. An old cabinet maker once told me corners should look sharp but feel round. That's the way I normally do binding. I done one for a client who wanted the edges round, so I had a pretty big radius on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop