The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RILEY31 View Post
Guitar Center has always price matched for me I always find what I'm looking for online at the best price before I go in and they match it.
Sure they price match. They just don't chop a bunch of money off a price if nobody else is, and why should they?

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who was selling five-dollar bills for a dollar: "How can you stay in business doing that?" "I make it up in volume!"
Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 AM

This is a retail business trying to remain profitable and provide for their employees. It is not a garage sale. Move on, stop complaining and buy somewhere else or on-line. If you buy on-line expect the bricks and mortar store to charge dearly for a set-up.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I've never had much luck making a counteroffer from their sticker prices. If there is something I want, I wait until they have 15% off coupons or sales and that usually works, even for "excluded" brands. Because they have so many "sales" throughout the year, I assume that the "sale" price is the real retail price anyway and I feel better about myself for having gotten a "sale price."
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

What I have found in negotiating a price, is you can't simply ask "Can I get a better price?" That's not enough. You have to have a clear offer.

I bought a new 0028 recently that was marked for $3100. Sure, I could have called around to other vendors, and had one shipped, blah blah. But I wanted this one. I said "Well, I want this .. if i were to buy it right now, is there any way we can work it out so I can walk out of here at $3000, including the sales tax?" She pulled out a calculator, did some math, and we made a deal.

I agree with Jacob Reinhart... This is not a garage sale.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
You have to have a clear offer.
Cash helps. Cash isn't attractive to GC for the same reason as it is to a bar or restaurant owner (we hope), but it makes a big difference. The credit card fee on 3 grand would cost my business 90 bucks. I'm sure GC has lower negotiated rates, but it's still gotta be a chunk.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion