The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret 00ish suggestions? what am I missing?

Jonesin for a mid-sized 12 fret $1000-2000 or so. I have explored the following...what am I missing?

I've got a bunch of parlor (ie small 12 fretters) and am abandoning my bigger stuff (dreads) and have a 000-12 fret already, but seeking a smaller body and likely a shorter scale, but scale is less important.
  • Larrivee - their 03 and 40 series both have this size...nice instruments
  • Waterloo - have had WL-12 and S and K...not for me
  • Martin - 17 series is ok and LAGuitar has a 15 series CS with binding currently that'd overlap with my current 2 15 series so don't really want a Martin
  • Furch - Few and far between, but their 00 is killer and full scale which I like.
  • Eastman - don't want the wide nut of the standard - if anyone has the 2018 limited edition one they wanna sell, let's talk
  • Taylor - love Taylor, hate their 1 3/4" nut and you can't get 1 11/16 in a 12 fret or I would have one already
  • Bedell - super nice, good value and their parlor is about a 00 size
  • Breedlove - concertina is about the right size...myrtle is intriguing

What brands have something this size and price range that I'm missing??? There's gotta be something I'm overlooking. Any and all input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:10 PM

There is a nice Bedell on sale at Artisans.

An all hog parlor.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
There is a nice Bedell on sale at Artisans.

An all hog parlor.
There USED to be one...
Old 04-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Does that mean you snagged it? ;-) I hope so!

I think the Larrivee's are hard to beat -- such a great value even when new. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Does that mean you snagged it? ;-) I hope so!
It means I went back to my watch list this morning and someone scooped it up yesterday :-(
Old 04-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
[*]Waterloo - have had WL-12 and S and K...not for me
just curious . what didn't you like about the WL-12 ? . I think that they're fantastic guitars , as long as you don't expect them to be hard strummers
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 PM

If you already have a bunch of parlors and a OOO a OO isn't going to rock your world. So why not change it up? Get a National. They are a shallow OO body size, so technically you would still be getting a OO Should be easy to find a brass singlecone in your price range.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
I think the Larrivee's are hard to beat -- such a great value even when new. Good luck in your search!
I second this! Can’t go wrong with Larrivee guitars. The 00, 000, and OM models are exceptional. You can compare them to any other brand and they remain exceptionally good.
I have several Larrivee 00 and an OM and I’d part with My more expensive, big brand names if I had to choose which of my guitars to sell.
Larrivee guitars are long scale which gives great volume, yet they remain very playable with a great neck profile. (IMHO)

There again this is just one mans opinion
Good Luck,
Blues
Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM

****duplicate post*****

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artis_xe View Post
just curious . what didn't you like about the WL-12 ? . I think that they're fantastic guitars , as long as you don't expect them to be hard strummers
I think Waterloo’s did too good a job making the whole line sound like the good old ones, but they ended up being pretty one dimensional. I’ve literally had every model except the jumbo king and love them all for what they are, but they kinda only really work well in that one lane in my opinion.

That being said, the only one I regret selling is the wl-12 mahogany. It had the most usefulness in my opinion. I just wish they would have put the big neck on the 12 fret models, but the skinnier one is ok and still heartier than most modern necks.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:41 PM

Almost pulled the trigger on one of these last year. Still is tempting, but got to sell 2 first. The Bedell is a beauty too, but a little pricier.

https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars...-electro-scoop

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
If you already have a bunch of parlors and a OOO a OO isn't going to rock your world. So why not change it up? Get a National. They are a shallow OO body size, so technically you would still be getting a OO Should be easy to find a brass singlecone in your price range.
I’m hoping it rocks my world enough to make the 000 12 fret I have unnecessary to keep and also a couple of the single O sizes.

Ideal world, I’d like to have a lot less guitsrs and be able to cover the bases most important to me, while still being comfortable to play and different enough betweeen the rest of my guitars

A reso would just add to my problem, even though they are super fun.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jonesin for a mid-sized 12 fret $1000-2000 or so. I have explored the following...what am I missing?

I've got a bunch of parlor (ie small 12 fretters) and am abandoning my bigger stuff (dreads) and have a 000-12 fret already, but seeking a smaller body and likely a shorter scale, but scale is less important.
  • Larrivee - their 03 and 40 series both have this size...nice instruments
  • Waterloo - have had WL-12 and S and K...not for me
  • Martin - 17 series is ok and LAGuitar has a 15 series CS with binding currently that'd overlap with my current 2 15 series so don't really want a Martin
  • Furch - Few and far between, but their 00 is killer and full scale which I like.
  • Eastman - don't want the wide nut of the standard - if anyone has the 2018 limited edition one they wanna sell, let's talk
  • Taylor - love Taylor, hate their 1 3/4" nut and you can't get 1 11/16 in a 12 fret or I would have one already
  • Bedell - super nice, good value and their parlor is about a 00 size
  • Breedlove - concertina is about the right size...myrtle is intriguing

What brands have something this size and price range that I'm missing??? There's gotta be something I'm overlooking. Any and all input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
I think what's missing in your list are 00s a step or two up the ladder; it's a buyers market for used guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I’m hoping it rocks my world enough to make the 000 12 fret I have unnecessary to keep and also a couple of the single O sizes.

Ideal world, I’d like to have a lot less guitsrs and be able to cover the bases most important to me, while still being comfortable to play and different enough betweeen the rest of my guitars

A reso would just add to my problem, even though they are super fun.
Got ya. A little more expensive than the 40s, but the Larrivee 50 (mahogany) and 60 (rosewood) Series are my favorites. I'm also trying to cut down so I only have the OOO-50 left, but I've owned pretty much every 12 fretter in that lineup. Amazing guitars. Go check the for sale section of the Larrivee forum on a regular basis. Never know what you'll find!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I think what's missing in your list are 00s a step or two up the ladder; it's a buyers market for used guitars.
I definitely don’t want one much more than the very wide range that I noted in the post, but I’d love to hear if anything would be slightly over that you can think of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion