The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2003, 08:01 PM

Default I love this D-15 I played

Just played a mahogany D-15 at my local store.

Review - Fantastic

By far the best sounding guitar for the money, and i'm a taylor guy.

Very warm as you would expect, very even from low to high

I think i'm buying it...****, I hate guitar stores!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

LOL - pretty concise review, if I do say so myself. There's no harm in loving a Martin D-15. They are great guitars and great value for the money.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:43 AM

Bought one yesterday ..right here on the TGF...
Old 07-05-2003, 05:53 AM

I have stared and stared at the D-15 for a long time. Before I got my Taylor, I thought a Martin D-15 was the guitar for me. I love the dark color of the wood and the satin, non-gloss look.

I got the Big Baby 'cause of the sound, price and because it too had that satin finish. I like "plain jane" appointments, if you will.

But I gotta say, one day not only will I step up to a "higher" Taylor, but I would still love to own a 15 series Martin... hopefully one day I'll have both !

2003 Taylor Big Baby
2002 Martin Backpacker

Also in the house: Rogue Accoustic, Epi SG, Squier Strat
Old 07-05-2003, 11:34 AM

I almost got an all-mahogany D15, but after playing some Guilds and Taylors, I decided it was way too muddy for me. Tons of midrange, but no highs and no lows.

The problem with Martins is that they aren't consistent, IMO. They put out some great guitars, but you gotta search for them.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I snatched a damaged J-12-15 12 string today for a good price. It has a small crack in the bottom that didn't effect the playing or sound one bit. I figure it'll be great for using outdoors or in non-Taylor environments. This one wasn't muddy at all like most of the others I have tried, might be the 12 string thing but it is a pretty sweet guitar. Wow!!! My FIRST Martin.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley dr20

The problem with Martins is that they aren't consistent, IMO. They put out some great guitars, but you gotta search for them.

In other words, the sound difference is noticable from one to another in the same model?

Do you find the Taylors to be more consistant?

2003 Taylor Big Baby
2002 Martin Backpacker

Old 07-07-2003, 01:21 PM

Default d15

I am also a Taylor guy but when I played a d 15 I really liked the sound also . I do play a lot of bluegrass so naturally I had to have it.ITS so plain but that adds to the appeal for me.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat
In other words, the sound difference is noticable from one to another in the same model?

Do you find the Taylors to be more consistant?
Yes and yes. Taylors I find to be almost too consistent, as in there's little personality to each guitar. However, lately I've been running into some Taylor gems, which I didn't used to find. But I'd say for the most part if you've played a 410, you've played them all. If you've played a 514, you've played them all.

But Martins are different. Two identical guitars can be hanging on the wall next to each other, and one can be a LOT better than the other. Just means you gotta look harder.

I'll say it this way: I would never buy a Martin I haven't played, but I would buy a Taylor I haven't played, as long as I had played the same model.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:37 PM

rankel:

When you played the D15, did you happen to play any of the "higher end" Martins, like the D-18, D-28? From Martin's website, I saw that the D-17 and below models have different top bracing than the D-18 and above do. Just wondering if they all "sound like Martins". Thanks for any input you or anyone can offer.

Wildcat: I think Taylors sound more consistant at the shop because of the Elixir strings. Martins ship w/ Martin strings and the strings are often dead at the guitar shop. If I was gonna plunk down big money for a Martin, I'd at least ask for them to restring the guitars before playing... It's hard to judge the sound of a guitar with 6 month old strings...

$.02 from me to all...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 AM

I have a 000-15 that can also be summed up with the word "fantastic." A lot of other people have 15s and feel the same way. I don't know how Martin does it for the money, but I really don't care.

There are actually three different basic bracing patterns for Martins. There's the regular X bracing of the Standard and higher series, the simplified "A-frame" bracing of the D-15 and lower series, and the hybrid A-frame/X bracing of the 16 and 17 series. You can see examples of all three at http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Hist...tinbraces.html
Old 07-08-2003, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley dr20
But Martins are different. Two identical guitars can be hanging on the wall next to each other, and one can be a LOT better than the other. Just means you gotta look harder.
This has been my observation as well. I once tried at my local dealer that was terrific. A month later, I tried what may/may not have been the same one, and it was not so good, even with fresh strings. I didn't ask, but I suspect they were different guitars.

I like the unstated looks of the D15 as well. If you find a good one and have it set up properly, they're a very good value.

As for Taylors, I agree. I have no problem buying sight unseen, as I did with my 714. I wouldn't do this with any other brand, at least those that I am familiar with.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Dad

I like the unstated looks of the D15 as well. If you find a good one and have it set up properly, they're a very good value.

I agree on the looks as well for the same reasons. The dealer where I purchased my Taylor has one new and one used on display. The used one is actually very affordable and in real nice shape. Because of this thread I went and tried both and y'know what? They did both sound different... as was stated earlier, the used one might of had newer/different strings as well so....

2003 Taylor Big Baby
2002 Martin Backpacker

Old 07-11-2003, 07:48 PM

I bought a D-15 for my son a while back. What a great guitar it was. I say "was" because it was burned in a frat house fire in Tallahassee. Anyway, it had very good action right off the wall and a good sound with pronounced bass. I even loved the smell of the thing!
I replaced it with a D-1 that I found hanging in a small shop that had been custom ordered with a sunburst top, but the buyer was a no show. I asked to play it and after a few minutes I bought it on the spot.

I guess the bottom line is that each guitar is different...you can play two guitars that are the same exact model that play and sound totally different. It's finding the "good ones" that is hard.
TJ
1999 Taylor 814ce
2000 Martin D-1
1996 Martin D-35
1993 Martin D-41 Sunburst
2002 Taylor Custom 810
Old 07-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJunkie
I bought a D-15 for my son a while back. What a great guitar it was. I say "was" because it was burned in a frat house fire in Tallahassee
TJ
Hope your son was ok!!

2003 Taylor Big Baby
2002 Martin Backpacker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification