The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Default 3 11/16 sound hole pickup

Is there a high quality sound hole pickup for a 3 11/16 sound hold?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM

The LR Baggs M1, M1Active and the new M80 can be installed into soundholes with a minimum diameter of 3 9/16"

Soundholes between that minimum and 3 3/4" will require that one of the clamps be removed from its track so it can be set in place. Once the pickup is resting in the hole, the clamp can be slid back into its track so the screw can be threaded back in and tightened.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

I tried with my M1 and couldn't get it in. Though, I didn't remove the strings and started with the pickup placed through the strings. I couldn't get it above the hole. Maybe I need to remove the strings and place it straight down.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I recently tried to get a sound hole p/u into my F20, which has a soundhole diameter of 3 5/8", slightly smaller than yours. No luck with either a Fishman Neo or the Seymour Duncan Woody. The only thing I found on the Internet was a Billy Lawrence A300 that is supposed to fit small-body guitars, but I don't know anything about these, and it looks dubious to me. I'm about ready to give up and go with either an under-saddle or internal stick-ons. Hopefully someone here has some advice.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM

As a follow-up, I dod get the Bill Lawrence A300. It's sounds fine, about as good as the SD Woody I borrowed, and best of all, it fits in my GAD F20's small sound hole. One caveat is that the pickup has a sort of sharp edge around it, so be careful when putting it in, or you can scrape the edge of the sound hole. I will put some tape around the p/u to soften that.

The pickup does hum a bit under certain circumstances, but not bad, and it might be the amp I'm borrowing. So it seems like a fine inexpensive sound hole pickup. I may have something better, and more permanent put in at some point, bot for now, this will do.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
As a follow-up, I dod get the Bill Lawrence A300. It's sounds fine, about as good as the SD Woody I borrowed, and best of all, it fits in my GAD F20's small sound hole. One caveat is that the pickup has a sort of sharp edge around it, so be careful when putting it in, or you can scrape the edge of the sound hole. I will put some tape around the p/u to soften that.

The pickup does hum a bit under certain circumstances, but not bad, and it might be the amp I'm borrowing. So it seems like a fine inexpensive sound hole pickup. I may have something better, and more permanent put in at some point, bot for now, this will do.
What I was going to suggest. The A 300 will fit in **** near anything. I used one for years in my Takamine F312. Your right about the sharp edges though. The springy piece of metal that holds it in is also crazy sharp and will mar the rim of the soundhole if you're not careful putting it in and taking it out. I took of the little plastic piece at the end of the spring (there's a little screw that holds it on) and slid a piece of wire insulation over it. The other thing is make sure you keep the box and the receipt. After extensive use the spot where the wire meets the body of the pickup with wear out and the wire will start fraying. I've had literally five of these pickups and every one did the same thing. I've even tried putting electrical tape on that spot as soon as I got the pickup but it still happened. Lawrence will replace the pickup if this happens but only once, sine they don't give you a receipt when they send the replacement. I've told them every time I get one replaced that it's a design flaw but they still haven't done anything about. I'm guessing probably not many people use these pickups enough for it to be a problem.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 AM

Wow, you can't say d a m n ?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Is there a high quality sound hole pickup for a 3 11/16 sound hold?
I believe this one will do the trick: http://mi-si.com/products/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification