The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2022, 04:43 PM

Default V Class Bracing: why did Taylor make the change?

I recently came across this video on Vimeo. In it, Bob Taylor discusses telegraphing as part of the “Ask Bob” series. Telegraphing is an artifact of V bracing when a guitar is outside of the desired humidity range.

He also mentions that V bracing is not tapered nor scalloped. That makes me think (1) that the stiffer and more even tone/volume may be influenced by the unaltered rectangular braces, and (2) that there could definitely be some labor cost savings (albeit small) from not tapering or scalloping the braces for V guitars. I’m not saying that the rectangular braces aren’t an intentional design decision, but I could imagine that eliminating the extra step of tapering/scalloping could save some considerable cost in American labor—much more than the trivial differences in brace material/count (though that could affect labor as well).

I haven’t verified this, but if most of the V braces are the same thickness except for the central two braces, this could also make manufacturing a breeze, since the rectangular rods would not need to be manufactured differently from each other and would only need to be cut to the right lengths.

Just speculating here…we will likely never know the direct answer…but it is good food for thought.

Telegraphing video:

https://vimeo.com/489920568/1b56e27e76

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 01-30-2022, 05:52 PM

If 20 years go by and the V brace guitars don't explode .. I'll be convinced!
Old 01-30-2022, 06:05 PM

Default V Class Bracing: why did Taylor make the change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
If 20 years go by and the V brace guitars don't explode .. I'll be convinced!

Maybe if 20 years go by and the V brace guitars don’t explode, Taylor will risk tapering or scalloping the V brace… :-)

Given the lifetime warranty, I’m sure the stress and strain calculations were thoroughly assessed before switching to V brace. Perhaps the lack of tapering/scalloping is specifically because that would not stand up structurally in a V brace over time. Speculating again though…

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM

Default V bracing. Time will tell.

Taylor makes good guitars. I don't think anyone will dispute that. I even owned a 422R for years. What I specifically don't like about Taylor is how they do their marketing. Touting everything as some kind of almost magical breakthrough in guitar design just doesn't appeal to me. The NT neck was a good idea. Their pickup system, meh. But that finger jointed neck was a real loser in my mind. It just destroyed the looks of an otherwise nice guitar. OK, enough Taylor bashing. A friend recently bought a new Taylor. I believe it is V braced. I played it just a bit and wasn't impressed, but I don't need to be. It isn't my guitar. He likes it, and that is all that matters. As to V bracing, I believe Taylor is desperate to differentiate themselves from everyone else. This is one way to do it. I think they are, in typical Taylor fashion, overselling it. When they first announced it, they had a bunch of people playing them, and I listened to a lot of the samples. My thoughts were that they sounded just like any other Taylor guitar. The V bracing does look like it will save in manufacturing costs. I just wonder what will happen if, and when the Chinese decide that V bracing is a good thing. Taylor can forget about their patent then. I recently played the first Martin I ever considered owning. It was one of the new bolt on neck models. That was impressive. I liked everything about that guitar.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have only owned one Taylor - a GS Mini that I won in a drawing on this very forum. Having played a few over the years, the two that I have liked the best was a used 914 that had the X braces reshaped by a local luthier, and a recent V-braced Grand Pacific.
Companies selling products like cars or guitars shape a narrative story that distinguishes themselves from their competitors - they create their brand.
Martin’s brand is steeped in tradition, for example, and Taylor, a newer company, has embraced a more contemporary, innovative narrative. Being innovative is part of their brand.
When the V bracing debuted, we got the story of Andy Powers, a surfer, sitting on a Southern California beach, meditating on wave forms, inspiration struck and this new, innovative bracing was engineered and brought to us by a forward thinking guitar company.
Martin, on the other hand, was giving us videos of CFMartin IV sitting in the Martin museum with one of the first guitars they ever made over a century ago. Two of the biggest competitors continuing to capitalize on the strengths of their brand to sell guitars and keep their companies viable and robust in the marketplace.
This is why I think Taylor made the change - the V brace is innovative and forward thinking which is key to their brand and identity.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-19-2023, 09:00 AM

I've never played an X braced Taylor so I can't comment there. My V braced 322e has volume and excellent sustain, especially on the higher strings. Very nice sound out of a small body guitar. So I would say the V class works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion