The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Field of Dreams game tonight--Yankees Vs White Sox

Should be fun. Pregame--6PM Eastern August 12th. Coming to you from Iowa, and I believe it's the same field used in the movie.
https://www.mlb.com/news/field-of-dreams-game-guide
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-12-2021, 04:18 PM

I'm looking forward to it. The field, I believe is actually adjacent to the one that was in the movie, but it looks fantastic!
Old 08-12-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Yup

Not the same field, but real close to it. How cool is it to see two MLB teams play a real game in a corn field!
Old 08-12-2021, 04:32 PM

So Cool! I'm not a White Sox fan but Go White Sox!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:10 PM

Angry

Should be Sox/Reds.

NYY sticking their noses in again.

PS - The better team won after all, so there's that. And, NEWSFLASH to east coast fans, it wasn't an upset.

Last edited by frankmcr; 08-13-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:53 PM

It's perfect timing for this with all the mature corn (which I realize is planned).

This is my favorite part of the movie:

Old 08-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

12barbill--I love this part of the film, too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-12-2021, 08:48 PM

Joe Buck ruining it, but looked great on mute while I listened to some Lonnie Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-13-2021, 04:17 AM

Interesting venue. But, I’m not convinced that MLB is going to grow its fan base by tying the game to a movie that largely appeals to baby boomers. The game has more fundamental issues.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Interesting venue. But, I’m not convinced that MLB is going to grow its fan base by tying the game to a movie that largely appeals to baby boomers. The game has more fundamental issues.
It was a simple baseball game that was played in a cornfield for nostalgia, and the overwhelming majority of viewers (not just "baby boomers") seemed to enjoy and appreciate it. I thought it was a nice distraction, if not momentary, from the multitude of issues the world is presently dealing with. And it was a darn good game to watch as well.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It occurred to me that perhaps MLB was trying something entirely different from the NFL and appealing to the majority of its audience.

I don't agree with a lot that John Mayer says, but in an interview at one of the Crossroads Festivals he said that the Blues need an advocate, someone who understands the blues who can take the next generation by the hand and say, "Listen, that's Albert King; that's T. Bone Walker; that's B.B. King. Hear the differences?" Maybe MLB understands that their audience will have to be their advocates to the next generation, where the NFL appears to have decided that their audience is the wrong demographic and needs to be culled.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:26 AM

I thought that FOX and MLB did a great job trying to put a jolt into the summer doldrums. I thought it was a great production.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Loved the game, loved the idea, the fans in the stands were thrilled.

I've always appreciated the original score from the movie, written by James Horner. Over the years I must have watched the movie a hand full of times. It's my "go to" movie when I want to feel good.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I thought that FOX and MLB did a great job trying to put a jolt into the summer doldrums. I thought it was a great production.
My wife and I watched the entire game and we thought it was great! I love the "Field of Dreams" movie, and while I am not a particular Kevin Costner fan, I thought he did a good job in that movie.

The only thing missing was kids in the stands. There were a few, but not many considering the cost and limited availability of the tickets.

I think MLB needed something to get people to pay attention to baseball again, to advocate for the sport. It's not perfect and all pro sports have their flaws, but this production was a beautiful night, a great game, and a terrific, small-size venue for a small town like Dyersville, IA.

The game was just what the audience needed, too. As if it was scripted for a movie... I loved it, front to back!

And what a wonderful event for the state of Iowa!

- Glenn
Old 08-13-2021, 10:46 AM

I've had a long falling away from baseball over the years, most specially on the gradual expansion of the post season until it's like most sports leagues. I rather loved the game of my youth when the long season produced two champions due not to streaks of good events during a short playoff series, but like our "regular/real" lives due to going to work and doing the best over the long haul. I was accepting of the two divisions in each league thing but now it's expanded too much. But that's just me.

I went to a poetry reading last night. So you know that I'm no cultural bellwether but I did record the game and watched it until past midnight last night. As a native Iowan, I enjoyed the idea of it being played in something closer to a real field, and in Iowa. The game itself was unusual to me not having followed things at a game detail level much for a more than a decade. Very much an example of the strike out and home run game that I read is part of current tactics. That's not the classic game of my youth, but then that too is what I like about baseball, that the game can be played in various ways by chance or by conscious tactical choices.

I did watch it with the sound down. That's just me too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic