The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-15-2018, 08:20 AM

Default heating needle

Stew Mac has a copper needle that is heated with a stick type soldering iron for removing necks on acoustic guitars instead of steaming with a hose and hollow needle. Should be a lot less chance of steam damaging the top finish.
I was wondering if anyone has used one. I made my own because of their price but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Just wondering how this method compares.

thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM

I prefer steaming. The materials are easy to find and cheap to buy.
What I saw the soldering method is pour a well of water and then heat it up which I don't prefer. Getting a well of water means the wood are likely to soak a lot of it. On the other hand steam escapes quickly and not much water will condense. Moreover, the finish is not a problem as long as it is not a big deal to fix
Therefore, considering steaming brings less risk to wood, go for steaming which I had done yesterday.
Stew mac needle is unnecessary, make your own one is much more cost effective.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM

I have been repairing instruments since the mid 90's and have steamed my share of necks out. It's not new to me by any means.
I was wanting to hear from someone who has used this method. There is no reason to pour a "well" of water in the pocket. It takes very little water to make steam and the less water the quicker the steam.
I understand it as you're heating the pocket before introducing the water.
Also people who own vintage guitars really don't want you having to repair their finish.
Just wondering.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM

I had also been wondering about these for some time too. I don't know if it's a new thing or has been around for a while but I only heard of it about a year ago or so. I've been waiting a while to see how it works for others before trying it myself.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM

I'll know in about 2-3 weeks. I have a neck to pull soon. I'll post my findings.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:57 PM

The reviews on the Stewmac site have been uniformly positive .

In particular, the review by Mark Kane, who trades as https://thefretking.com/ is particularly illuminating.

It would appear that the needle is pretty much foolproof as far as normal Martin resets are concerned ... obviously moisture needs to be introduced if the joint has been assembled with with hide glue as opposed PVA.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-16-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Edited details
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottypine View Post
I'll know in about 2-3 weeks. I have a neck to pull soon. I'll post my findings.
It would be good to know, my concern is over the charring of the wood left from the heated needle.

I could picture a customer being very unhappy with me if that was to happen.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair