The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

I tried using a metronome but it was always wrong.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

I have tried using metronomes on multiple occasions. However, once the song gets faster than eighth notes, I just lose track of the dang thing I envy those that find a metronome useful.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Don't use one. I do have good timing though. If not I would perhaps practice with one on some
exercises (scales and certain strumming patterns for example). Unless you really just don't have
some internal sense of time (and if so you have a long road to haul) it would be more useful for
examining and solidifying certain technical abilities than in establishing some internal mental beat.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-22-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Metronome

Yes!
Indispensable.......
Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Using a metronome will show you if you can really play a passage or if you are changing a passage to make it fit what your fingers can do.

I have been playing a long time and I never thought that I needed to use a metronome but going into a studio and trying to record a multi track cd project exposed that fallacy immediately.

Luckily I survived that experience because the engineer converted the click track to a drum track. I played in rock and country bands for a long time, so the sound of a kick and snare was more normal to me than the click click click.... Once I had that reference I was able to play in time.

Since then I have been using a metronome app on the ipad and I am a definite believer. There are a bunch of free apps, try one and see if you need it. Once you lock in with the meter the groove really does happen. It's the exact opposite of a robotic sound. All my opinion of course.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM

For the actual playing of pieces, I rarely use a metronome.

But for practice (which is more mechanical to me than musical), I will use it often. I will use it to bring scales up to speed. I find that accurately hitting beats, and moving from quarter to eighth to sixteenth note divisions, is a bit motivating. I'll note that I played a 2 octave F major scale at 16ths at 120 bpm, and it will drive me to 140.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
In over 50 years of playing - NEVER

But one of the features of my playing is, I reserve the right to change timing to achieve emphasis. Last thing I want is some robotic device 'telling me' how to play my guitars.

YMMV
So, You're a time jumper !
Old 09-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D18Hoglover View Post
My first teacher wasn't an advocate, but my current teacher insists I use it, but says not to get to dependent on one . I'm glad he does. It has been very good.
I'll add that I use it only when practicing i.e. scales etc.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

For solo (self accompanying) pieces, I use it at least until I learn on all of the notes. After that, I check periodically to make sure my timing hasn't wandered.

If I am practicing music that I plan to play with another musician, I practice using the metronome at least 80% of the time.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM

Common (and useful) topic. A search in the "Play" subforum should produce several results.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:02 PM

I LOVE love and even lerve guitar players who can play with a metronome, and have been equally frustrated with those who considered it an impingement on their style. I've heard statements from guitarists to that effect many times over the years, and rarely did they last long on any project I was a part of. No coincidence. Although a newb guitarist, I'm a forty year drummer who spent years on the road, gigging, and in recording studios.

It's a myth that playing to a click removes player personality. If you get comfortable enough with a click to "bury it," meaning you're playing right on top of the beat, then you're able to lead it or play behind it in a compelling way as a musical statement. As a basic example, a good drummer will find a comfortable place ahead of, on top of, or behind the click and maintain that throughout the song in order to define its groove. Then, a good guitarist might play with the drummer when chopping wood, but lean differently against the click and the drums during solos or featured guitar portions. Milliseconds that make or break a player.

That said, I've played with musicians who can groove beautifully without a click, but I've never met one of the aforementioned who didn't spend hundreds of hours coming up with a metronome as their most battle-worn possession. It's a critical and indispensable tool for playing any instrument in a way that doesn't annoy your fellow musicians.

No one is too cool for the click.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Sunburst

Last edited by Newb Jones P.I.; 09-22-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM

I use one a lot. Anecdotally, almost everyone I have ever played with who was of the opinion that metronomes make their playing robotic or infringe upon their creativity have had poor time. Most of them also seem to do most of their playing alone. I submit that the two are inextricably related.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Practicing with a metronome dramatically improved my lead playing. I've always had pretty good time, but never had the patience to work through the scales technical bits that are so key to playing well. Slowing down and putting in the time with the a metronome made all the difference. Without the metronome I would make the classic mistake of rushing through the parts I was comfortable with and slowing way down on the hard parts.

Don't fear the metronome. It can't hurt you, it can only help.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM

When i was a kid, I used to play 80's metal, and always played along with the records, so my speed and timing were dead on from that.

I have a metronome unit, as well as an app on my phone and iPad, but I almost never use the. The only time I do, is when I'm working out some fast passage and need to nail the timing down, I'll use a metronome as a "workout tool", so to speak.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM

Yeah, many hours on a metronome here.

Critical to be able to keep a rock solid tempo when playing with others.

I am a drummer too, and suffice it to say that drummer frustration with guitar players who can't hold a steady tempo is a common enough thing that it is a cliché among drummers.

When practicing for a gig or band rehearsal I spend time with a metronome to make sure my timing is solid. As a part-time amateur musician I find it is one of the things that tends to go bad without constant reinforcement.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write