The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Z

I actually have worked the bracing some, and will get around to a picture of it as it is before I close the box. There is an interim pic in the custom shop thread, but it is far from what I have now.

I have not actually measure the top thickness, but it is somewhere around .085, I think. Perhaps I'll actually get out the calipers. It feels right to me, and it's too late to change it in any case.

This guitar is far lighter built than my last nylon, I'm sure, and it was an absolute monster for volume, with good treble as I recall. It was all Yew including the neck, with a German top chosen for light weight.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Hi Bruce, we met briefly at the Memphis Guitar Festival...I'd be very interested in hearing what this guitar sounds like. Do you plan to post a video when it's done?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

I make guitars in order to play them, George, and thus I do my own demo recording. Unfortunately, I have zero classical chops, so I am going to guess, probably correctly, that any recording I might make will be even more disappointing than the normal offerings. Doesn't mean I won't do it, of course.

If the guitar meets my expectations, I will say so. In that case, should you be interested, we can do what it takes for you to try it. Especially with classical guitars, it is a very personal thing whether it will suit a particular individual or not.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 PM

I am not all that interested in 'classical' music on guitar but have found I like other styles of music being played on a classical. From listening to a number of Bruce's recordings showcasing his guitars I think his taste in music and playing will show off the capabilities of this guitar just fine.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I am not all that interested in 'classical' music on guitar but have found I like other styles of music being played on a classical. From listening to a number of Bruce's recordings showcasing his guitars I think his taste in music and playing will show off the capabilities of this guitar just fine.
I appreciate that thought, but you do realize I am using a flatpick? I think of that as a disqualifier in the classical world! IMO much of the tone sought in the classical guitar comes off the pads of the fingers . . . Maybe a very rounded tortoise pick will be OK . . . I may have one or two.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I appreciate that thought, but you do realize I am using a flatpick? I think of that as a disqualifier in the classical world! IMO much of the tone sought in the classical guitar comes off the pads of the fingers . . . Maybe a very rounded tortoise pick will be OK . . . I may have one or two.
They do use a range of picking techniques but when they want a bright sound they use their nails. I did a little experimental nylon guitar and found that that the difference from picking with nails or a pick is not all that great. Mic placement might even have a greater impact on the treble than using nails or a pick. If the treble is there a player can always tone it down by the way they pick or using the finger tips. A capable sounding guitar will show itself whichever way the player decides to use it. And you have been known to build more than capable sounding guitars even when you deviate from your norm. If someone really wants to hear it played in a classical bent, maybe they could take a trip down to your shop and give it a try.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have rebraced the top due to humidity weirdness, and am considering this back in place of the other.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Hi Bruce, what's the advantage you see in the new back option over the original? My (highly untrained) eye tells me it sees the new version as several pieces tied together instead of the traditional two-piece back. Is this correct? Why the switch? I'm very interested in these sorts of things, and you always seem to have well-thought-out reasons for what you're up to.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Nicely joined together. Not to say anything against the original back but I like this one more.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Hi Bruce, what's the advantage you see in the new back option over the original? My (highly untrained) eye tells me it sees the new version as several pieces tied together instead of the traditional two-piece back. Is this correct? Why the switch? I'm very interested in these sorts of things, and you always seem to have well-thought-out reasons for what you're up to.
Excepting the 6 pieces thing, this is really nice wood, comparatively. Also, there is a tradition for multi piece backs in Classical which does not exist to my knowledge in the SS world. Think Vihuela or Stradivari, for instance.

I have been down as far as Punakaka, which may not be spelled that way, but YOU know what I mean. Looks like you're further. I had a great time on the South Island, and hope to get there again one day.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 AM

It does look like great wood, I just wondered about how joining so many pieces might affect things, if at all. I suspect that in the right hands a parquetry back would still do the job as well as anything else. Do you anticipate having to do anything irregular to make this work, or am I making far too much of this? I really can't wait to see/hear this guitar as it comedy together!

I'm actually a bit farther south than I've let on in the info section, on the Pacific side. If you ever get back to the South Island again, I'd be happy to show you around "my" town, restaurants and all.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

As far as I am concerned, well joined material, by which I mean structurally well joined, needs no further attention and is as solid as any other. This material is extreme well alighned, fiber wise, and really is the stuff of dreams where guitars are concerned. . . If one doesn't place a negative on the multiple pieces. Reinforcement adds mass and potential tensions that would be a sad development in a delicate instrument.

Tasman sea to the west, Southern ocean to the east, if I recall correctly. I suppose that is the Southern Pacific Ocean. Sounds like you might be spending time on that most southerly continent, or hanging out with those who do.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:38 PM

I'm in New Zealand to stay, as near as I can tell, and calling it the southern ocean makes it sound too cold (which it is), so I prefer to just think of it as the Pacific (Southern Pacific makes it sound too warm, which is very far from accurate). We don't get to test drive many guitars these days, but every once in a while there's a trip over to the US or Europe when I can tinker around with a dream instrument and imagine having the cash to travel AND buy a killer guitar. For now, though, I do what I can through the Forum and with my little band of instruments in the time that work and family allow.

Have you figured out the humidity issues that were contributing to the problems with the top bracing yet, or is it the standard sort of stuff you'd have to remedy by building a huge climate-control system into a space-age workshop?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default A few months later . . .

The humidity last summer was brutal here in drought stricken California, and I was quite frustrated with the behavior of the top, so I put it away and worked on other projects. The rainy season, hopefully a good one, has arrived and with it the heat is on, so the shop is warm and dry and STABLE, so I've got back into the classical guitar project. Today I glued the back on, closing the box. I took a few pictures and have been putting them in my Blog/Thread in the custom Shop sub-section, and it's time I resurrected this thread as well.

I expect to have a picture of the closed box before the day is out.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

That seemed to go well!

If I didn't remember gluing this 6 piece back up, I wouldn't guess that it were one. But knowing as we do, it gives some insight into the 7 brace back, perhaps.

It IS a flitch matched set as far as the back and sides are concerned, as you can see here:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical