The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheof View Post
Music, in general, has become a multi-billion dollar industry today. It rarely has much to do with talent. Think about what talent actually is to you: is it speed? Fluency? Influence? Emotion? Technical ability? The model of guitar you play? The clothes you wear and the image you portray? Something else? Because, let's face it, the industry doesn't employ highly skilled musicians at the age of 55. They only want the 20 yr. olds who can sell an image. Today everything's about Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, McDonalds vs. Burger King and Martin vs. Gibson. And if you don't fit the mould, you're not in the game.

Sadly, all the low-hanging fruit has already been picked, and all the styles have been covered numerous times before; there's no place for two or three or four James Taylors. You can fool yourself into believing that talent is a major factor, and to some extent it can be, but the fact is some of the most notable stars of today are built on so many other factors besides just talent, and the really good players are 60 yrs. old and relegated to studio work somewhere in Nashville. You have to practically be a virtuoso to even get recognized, and once you are you're confined to a box full of simplistic formulae in order to create a product that sells.

And so it is with all things today in America. Image is talent. And talent is an irrelevant pipe dream. Don't believe me? List 3 new highly skilled players over the age of 40 who are selling CDs and videos by the millions.

So why do we switch guitars so often? Because talent is useless and fantasies mean everything. If we have the right look, the right sound, use the most popular pick, strap, wear a blue jean jacket with ripped sleeves and can sound like Justin Beiber with his signature Gibson Hummingbird, we think we'll be in the game. it's no coincidence that Country players use Gibsons, Bluegrass players play Martins and modern players and church worship leaders almost always use Taylors.

Dear Pheof,

Whilst a tone of bitterness could be perceived in your words, much of what you say - is true.
Further I would suggest that ever was it such.
You refer largely to the situation in the USA, but the USA isn't the only country with a music industry.
Was Mozart REALLY more talented than Salieri?
Would the Carter Family, and Jimmie Rodgers have become so famous had it not been for Ralph Peer?
Why did Elvis Presley (and the Colonel) make money out of "That's Alright Mama" when Arthur Crudup made not a penny?

Talent is not all that is required for fame. Nor is it always necessary - but a "Svengali" who can create a "product" and a demand is.

Also -those with talent do not always care to be "stars".

As to the chopping and changing of guitars - most realise that it matters little to one's audience or friends.

There IS,as you say, a consumer industry in musical industries,and like it or not we have a feast of products to tempt us nowadays - more than any prior generation.

Back in the day - in the Uk and Europe we used what we could and yearned for the stuff we saw on record covers and films of American stars.
We baby boomers finally found them accessible and we dived in with both feet.
When consumers have disposable income - industries arise to feed their demands.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Wow this went south fast. I do agree that one's sound is in one's body and mind, the instrument needs to playable, but if you take the time to find your sound, it can be brought out of most instruments

funny thing for me, i keep trying out guitars in stores, just to see what's what and almost none of them thrill me as much as my 00015.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcury View Post
Wow this went south fast. I do agree that one's sound is in one's body and mind, the instrument needs to playable, but if you take the time to find your sound, it can be brought out of most instruments
funny thing for me, i keep trying out guitars in stores, just to see what's what and almost none of them thrill me as much as my 00015.
After searching around in guitar stores for my first new flattop guitar after 30 years of only having one flattop guitar (big old dread) most guitars I listened to did not measure up. I heard more than once from the different store personnel that my ears were highly adapted to the sound of my current guitar and was using it as a measuring stick from which to judge. Having since gotten new guitars and going back to my old dread now and then it turns out they were right. Now that is probably and good thing in terms of our day to day satisfaction level and our pocketbook.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I responded to a thread recently that made me think of man vs. guitar. In decades past, musicians frequently had less money and toys. They (I would like to think we) had one guitar that they played and, I believe, that helped shape their signature sound. I see, what I believe, too many young players migrating from guitar to different guitar looking for a sound - instead of learning to make "their sound" with the instrument they have.

You/we likely purchased the instrument you have because you liked the way it played and/or sounded. So now, why not take the time (hours upon hours upon hours - hundreds of them not just today and tomorrow) getting the most out of that guitar? Take the time to set up, tweak, test dozens of strings, picks and techniques - to develop your sound with that instrument instead of (generally incorrectly) hoping that a different instrument will give you something you haven't yet earned - your signature sound.

You see, it's your/our job as a "musician" to get the most out of the instrument. It's not the instrument's job (because it can't) to make you/us a better musician. Someone recently asked what the difference between guitarist and a musician is - I believe that is it. A guitarist plays a guitar. A musician plays - any guitar.
This is a great challenge, one I've been working on for a couple of years now. By the time I go to the nursing home I hope to be pretty good ;-)

steve
Old 11-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Fascinating topic. I think on the one hand, a guitarist is going to branch out with their technique and try different things - strings, picks, attacks, location of pick/finger attack, nails/fingertips/fingerpicks, guage, alternate tunings, etc. etc. when only having a single guitar to work with. That's great! Necessity is the mother of invention right?

On the other hand, I think having a "signature sound" is something that only the rarest of guitarists manage (and it CERTAINLY can be done in the blues or any other genre. If you don't think this, then you've never heard Chris Whitley or BB King among many many more). And if you're going for a "signature sound" a big part of that may very well be experimenting with your gear - not just the above-mentioned things like strings and picks, but the guitar itself. So, if you start thinking "your sound" might be a National, and you have a nylon string. Well... you're probably going to at least go to the store and check out a reso, and maybe even buy it. This is no substitute for technique at all, but I see it as very similar to the lifelong exploration of amps/effects/tone that Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan are known for.

Food for thought. ?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM

I have 1 very cheap acoustic. I play out with it but most folks here with their multi - thousand dollar line ups probably wouldn't respect it. I have 1 mid range electric (and what I consider a mid range amp too).

I found a cheap set of picks that give me a tone I love. My son is in the same boat... cheap guitars, cheap picks, playing out. We don't make a penny with it, but have lots of fun, and keep getting invited back.

I've played along side better guitars, I hear the difference, and sometimes I really want one. But life gets in the way of dropping all that money down. But I still take what I have and play it for all I am worth!

When my situation changes, and I get that shiny new D-818-Jumbo-GS-Dread-BanjoKillingCollins I won't have to worry that I have too much guitar for my ability. I'm paying my dues now.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM

The ability to get a good sound out of any guitar is only one of many abilities guitar players can acquire.

How about memorising whole pieces and playing without tab or dots, understanding theory and being able play any chord anywhere on the neck, improvising, giving a convincing performance and holding an audience and how about getting well payed for playing?

I'm sure others here can add to this list. Getting a distictive sound is one skill among many.

I've lost count of how many guitars I have. It could be in excess of a dozen. I never play more than one at once anyway and the quantity is not a result of searching for a sound. It's a product of my acquiring guitars over fifty years and my laziness in getting shut of them. James Taylor has a room full of guitars that he's worn out. They no longer give him the sounds he needs. I've heard it said that Davy Graham sold really good guitars to get drugs and then did gigs on borrowed guitars. Might not be true, but I think it would be a shame if anyone gave up playing because they thought their sound was wanting.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 PM

"List 3 new highly skilled players over the age of 40 who are selling CDs and videos by the millions".... there is no money in recording. the money is in live music. the industry has changed fyi. when it comes to bass some I cant play some I can ....my tech understands why and how to make one playable I really do not have a clue but I am brutal and aggressive on a bass and it has to be just right....fender basses will never work for me, they hate me .. guitar's well that is different. I can play a wider selection and now days seams to be a lot of them out there I can get a good sound on. I am trying to consolidate over 40 years of styles and techniques in to one show right now so one instrument will just not work.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

I suck at golf. I played in a couple company leagues, enjoyed it and even took lessons. I was just bad.

I had a cheap Sunday set of Spalding clubs.

I was out one morning for an early round and a regular paired up with me.

We were talking and I bemoaned my cheap clubs.

He walked over, took one of my clubs out from my bag, stuck the ball on the green a putt away from the cup. He handed me the club and said "its not the clubs"

He wasn't arrogant or condescending either. Just matter-of-fact.

I was not offended - I took it as a great coaching moment.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Many amusing comments and an awesome thread overall. It reminded me of when I was a kid and got my first guitar for Christmas, the first Christmas after my dad saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show. It was a single pickup Gibson Melody Maker. There was a kid up the block known as Donny The Hood (slang term in the 50's and 60's for a juvenile delinquent). He was the best guitar player around though and got me going very well with what he taught me and inspired me with. Then the day came I announced to my dad I can;t get any better on this crappy single pickup guitar.

My dad had a habit of bringing home musicians from bars at closing time to give them a place to sleep comfortably for the night. He brought home Roger Miller's guitarist one night and the next day told him I couldn't get any better on my Melody Maker. The guy picked it up and played an instrumental version of an Old Milwaukee beer jingle that was on tv a lot at the time. It blew me away and along with it my premise for not getting any better.

However, my dad, being who he was showed up a few weeks later with the black f hole archtop double pickup electric Martin made for awhile. No matter how hard I tried that worthless guitar just couldn't advance my skills. Maybe he should've bought me a Gibson ES335?

Last edited by DaveKell; 11-11-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I suck at golf. I played in a couple company leagues, enjoyed it and even took lessons. I was just bad.

I had a cheap Sunday set of Spalding clubs.

I was out one morning for an early round and a regular paired up with me.

We were talking and I bemoaned my cheap clubs.

He walked over, took one of my clubs out from my bag, stuck the ball on the green a putt away from the cup. He handed me the club and said "its not the clubs"

He wasn't arrogant or condescending either. Just matter-of-fact.

I was not offended - I took it as a great coaching moment.
Great lesson Fazool. It reminds me of this older guy that came into a music store many years ago. While everyone else were wailing away - or trying to - on these expensive electrics this guy picked up a Teisco-Del Ray electric...all of which was probably $100 at the time... and played the most incredible, soulful music you ever heard. At the end of a few minutes most of the younger players had stopped and started to gather around him.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Guest 829

I am totally guilty of flitting from guitar to guitar — it's horrible but I still do it. As an example, I am looking at selling a very expensive parlour type guitar because I have convinced myself that it's shorter scale is causing me problems with certain chords as I move up the neck.

Yesterday I was browsing the net and I discovered a guitarist I enjoy. His name is Tim Edey and after a bit of research I discovered that his guitar is really not very expensive and yet he makes it sound really good. Plus he appears to have a unique style which adds to his sound.

It really does make me realise that in so many ways the guitar, unless it's badly set up, is never the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvkk...M7cig8TpCq3Ruz
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I've heard it said that Davy Graham sold really good guitars to get drugs and then did gigs on borrowed guitars. Might not be true, but I think it would be a shame if anyone gave up playing because they thought their sound was wanting.
Haha really! Where did you hear that?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
I have 1 very cheap acoustic. I play out with it but most folks here with their multi - thousand dollar line ups probably wouldn't respect it. I have 1 mid range electric (and what I consider a mid range amp too).
Speaking for myself only - I would respect (and listen to) a good player with a cheap guitar before spending time watching a hack posing with high-dollar arm candy. Play on my friend.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 AM

I think maybe a few people are misinterpreting what Pastorsteve is saying here. What I take from his comments ( and wholeheartedly agree with ) is that your style will develop on any instrument you play continuously and monogamously on.
Your style is not supposed to be something that you decide upon, but something that you can't really help, because you develop your style together with whatever equipment you happen to have.
Of course, you can decide whether or not you want to play a resonator, or nylon strings, or steel strings as your primary instrument, or all three and more if you wish ( many do ) but your style will develop on the guitar that you spend the vast majority of your time with. Your style will then export to all other guitars. By changing guitars, all you will do is incorporate the inherent properties of that guitar into your style. In other words, although the sound will differ slightly ( because of the qualities inherent in the guitar that you are playing ) your style should remain the same. To me anyway, the difference is in the implications of the two words ( style Vs. sound ).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write