The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM

The strings don't stabilize for weeks, and during that time you stretch, tune, play, repeat.

I enjoy this as much as writing "I will wipe my strings clean every time I put my guitar away" 10,000 times on the blackboard!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Cool Do You Like Stringing a Classical Guitar?

Garthman, I am providing this information for everyone's benefit, as there is a lot of misinformation out there. This is a quote from Duane Waterman, a well-known luthier, who builds high dollar recital grade classical guitars, as well as Baroque instruments and steel string acoustic guitars. This is what he wrote, regarding the use of ball-end classical strings:

"The selection is very limited - and none would be used on a good classical guitar. .... They can be used on cheaper guitars to improve breakover angle - if needed. On a serious guitar I drill additional tie holes in the tie block - make it a twelve-hole bridge -- a much more elegant solution to low breakover angle and it is easier to tie than six-hole bridge and very complete selection of fine strings can be used."

"How can you tell that tone is changed? - you can't test it both ways - you wouldn't have the same strings for regular tie and for ball end tie - and then truly "compare"?? I've not heard a ball-end string that had the tone (all aspects) that the higher quality classical strings have. But I'm sure that attaching is much easier for a novice and they can't really tell the difference - or quality of tone - on their student/working nylon string guitars."

"Ball end nylon strings do have their place - just not on fine classical guitars. They are inferior compared to most available high quality nylon string sets - when put on a finer classical guitar. It would be like putting regular gas in your Ferrari -- why?? There is plenty of high octane available!"

Now, you have the information you were claiming never to have heard from any guitar maker, and what you decide to do with that information is totally up to you.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Generally ball end classical strings are cheap for cheap guitars . There are exceptions though on hybrid strings when tie end is unusable or very high tension strings when companies provide the same strings with both tie end or ball end.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Garthman, I am providing this information for everyone's benefit, as there is a lot of misinformation out there. This is a quote from Duane Waterman, a well-known luthier, who builds high dollar recital grade classical guitars, as well as Baroque instruments and steel string acoustic guitars. This is what he wrote, regarding the use of ball-end classical strings:

"The selection is very limited - and none would be used on a good classical guitar. .... They can be used on cheaper guitars to improve breakover angle - if needed. On a serious guitar I drill additional tie holes in the tie block - make it a twelve-hole bridge -- a much more elegant solution to low breakover angle and it is easier to tie than six-hole bridge and very complete selection of fine strings can be used."

"How can you tell that tone is changed? - you can't test it both ways - you wouldn't have the same strings for regular tie and for ball end tie - and then truly "compare"?? I've not heard a ball-end string that had the tone (all aspects) that the higher quality classical strings have. But I'm sure that attaching is much easier for a novice and they can't really tell the difference - or quality of tone - on their student/working nylon string guitars."

"Ball end nylon strings do have their place - just not on fine classical guitars. They are inferior compared to most available high quality nylon string sets - when put on a finer classical guitar. It would be like putting regular gas in your Ferrari -- why?? There is plenty of high octane available!"

Now, you have the information you were claiming never to have heard from any guitar maker, and what you decide to do with that information is totally up to you.

Glen
Glen, I take most things that "well-known" luthiers say with a pinch of salt. Most luthiers will tell you that you have to spend zillions of $$$$$$$$ to get a guitar that sounds anywhere near good - it's their livelihood after all - which is total crap. And anyone who believes that sticking a ball-end onto a guitar string changes it's tone in any perceptible way needs to reassess their life IMHO.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM

Never have tried, but since I now own a classical I will restring at some point in the future. I am preparing by watching this nice little video. I made such a practice tool and I will be ready when the time comes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tlj8BObkVU
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Balls or no balls...it doesn't matter.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Garthman & Bern, all I can do is provide the information, and what you decide to do with it is totally up to you. I have enjoyed the banter, and look forward to our next discussion.

Alnico5, I watched the video, but I noticed one mistake. I urge you to look at a number of videos on YouTube, and you will find many different techniques for installing strings on your classical guitar. I have developed my own technique to eliminate slippage, and (surprise, surprise), I've never see it done this way on any video. I wonder if I should make a video? Probably not worth the expense.

Glen
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
Hermosa AH-20
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 AM

To answer the original question, I don't like restringing any guitar. That's one of the reasons I seldom restring, along with not being able to afford new strings, and not being bothered by the sound of old strings. Perhaps the sound of old nylon strings might bother me, but with no experience with them, I don't know that.

No nylon string/classical guitars currently here, but I did have a slot-head 12-fret Martin 00-21 steel string once upon a time. I didn't like restringing it any more than I do the closed-peghead guitars I've had/have, but it wasn't any worse either.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Not sure about liking it but I restrung my Classical a few hours ago. I have only had it a week and decided to replace the EXP Hard Tension with Hannabach low tension strings. They didn't need changing but I'm a tinkerer

I didn't watch any videos just worked it out for myself , easier than my slot head parlour and no blood ! I am pretty sure they wont slip and as far as tying the ends go I don't see what the big deal is. It takes about 10 seconds to loop the strings around twice then position them.

I guess I will know in a week if I did it correctly. That's one aspect of these classicals that has really surprised me.

Cheers

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Not sure about liking it but I restrung my Classical a few hours ago. I have only had it a week and decided to replace the EXP Hard Tension with Hannabach low tension strings. They didn't need changing but I'm a tinkerer

I didn't watch any videos just worked it out for myself , easier than my slot head parlour and no blood ! I am pretty sure they wont slip and as far as tying the ends go I don't see what the big deal is. It takes about 10 seconds to loop the strings around twice then position them.

I guess I will know in a week if I did it correctly. That's one aspect of these classicals that has really surprised me.

Cheers
Hannabach need hours to settle in but they lst a long time.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Hannabach need hours to settle in but they lst a long time.
I will leave em on for about 6 weeks as I have ordered a few different sets of LaBellas. So far I'm liking the reduced tension and the tone sounds sweeter than the hards. I'm used to steel strings so find the nylons easy to play though the CG is a different beast altogether.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Duplicate post...opps!
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
Hermosa AH-20

Last edited by scottishrogue; 06-25-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM

I usually use Thomastik-Infeld flat wound silk & nylon strings on my classicals, but I've heard so many people mention how good Hannabach strings are, I'm going to try a set next time I need to switch out strings on one of my classicals. And based on past conversations I've had with Paikon, if he says they are worth the additional expense, I trust his recommendation.

Glen
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
Hermosa AH-20
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I usually use Thomastik-Infeld flat wound silk & nylon strings on my classicals, but I've heard so many people mention how good Hannabach strings are, I'm going to try a set next time I need to switch out strings on one of my classicals. And based on past conversations I've had with Paikon, if he says they are worth the additional expense, I trust his recommendation.

Glen
Hannabach have higher tension than other brands. I use high tension on most brands but on Hannabach normal tension.

Last edited by Paikon; 07-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I have two nylons that require string changes every week. A Godin Multiac Duet, and a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra 12. I agree with the earlier poster. I becomes a ritual that you learn to love.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical