The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL MYERS View Post
I don't think an analogy with medical troubles is valid here.
I didn't get it either.

Interesting how our resident DrGuitar makes an analogy between guys who are good like him (cardiologists) and guys who don't get it (witch doctors).

In the derogatory department, I think this is a step up from my colourful use of "artist".

Whereas my position is neutral (I merely described a spectrum), the Doc is clearly stating that cardiologists are better.

Interesting thoughts.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've noticed how a lot of threads on theory often turn sour because we each have a different perception of what theory is and what it brings to the table.
How true, amply demonstrated on this thread. I read your post as tongue-in-cheek in spirit.
Some take this stuff deadly seriously however. IMO time to close this thread if it continues along this line.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 04-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I read your post as tongue-in-cheek in spirit.
Most definitely...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Did Stevie Ray Vaughan exist? (I know he no longer exists).
Yes.

Stevie most certainly does not fit the description Joe posted. Stevie didn't analyze much at all...if he had, he might have played something other than a pentatonic scale over ever chord progression he ever encountered

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yes.

Stevie most certainly does not fit the description Joe posted. Stevie didn't analyze much at all...if he had, he might have played something other than a pentatonic scale over ever chord progression he ever encountered
And then it might have sucked more.

Sometimes 5 notes is all you need. Between them, Tony Iommi and Tom Morello created all the best single note riffs in rock (in my opinion) using just the pentatonic scale.

I'm not a Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, but I do enjoy blues more than I enjoy jazz. I guess I favor simplicity over complexity.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Well, Iommi had some good luck with a sixth note...the flatted fifth.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well, Iommi had some good luck with a sixth note...the flatted fifth.
You're right. I think Stevie was partial to that 6th note also.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Nah...they call it a blue note but blues players hardly ever use that one...

Stevie liked the ninth, though. And the sixth.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM

The king of "nothing but pentatonic" would be Zakk Wylde for me. He's probably the guy who plays the least different notes of all the players I truly admire.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I don't think an analogy with medical troubles is valid here.
Let me try to put this into an analogy that you find succinct.

If you needed a beautiful string piece written for the inauguration of a President or Monarch in another country, would you rely on the raw talent/ears of your local "amazing" guitar player, or would you contact someone who knows their way around and has a proven track record with music theory, composition, orchestration, harmony and all the rest? Would you prefer someone who has "good feel for music" to write you their best composition or would you prefer Mozart to do so? Do you think Mozart studied music theory?

You see, knowledge does not limit the ability of a musician, but lack of knowledge definitely does limit their ability. And like the cardiologist analogy I made earlier, I want someone who actually knows what they are doing when I need work done (and when I hire them to perform in an ensemble situation), not just someone who can put on a good dance.

YMMV
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Nah...they call it a blue note but blues players hardly ever use that one...

Stevie liked the ninth, though. And the sixth.
Stevie did like the ninth and sixth, but to say that blues players hardly ever use the flattened fifth is like saying blues players hardly ever use half step bends or slides. I can't think of a single blues player that "hardly ever uses" the flattened fifth.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitar001 View Post
Let me try to put this into an analogy that you find succinct.

If you needed a beautiful string piece written for the inauguration of a President or Monarch in another country, would you rely on the raw talent/ears of your local "amazing" guitar player, or would you contact someone who knows their way around and has a proven track record with music theory, composition, orchestration, harmony and all the rest? Would you prefer someone who has "good feel for music" to write you their best composition or would you prefer Mozart to do so? Do you think Mozart studied music theory?

You see, knowledge does not limit the ability of a musician, but lack of knowledge definitely does limit their ability. And like the cardiologist analogy I made earlier, I want someone who actually knows what they are doing when I need work done (and when I hire them to perform in an ensemble situation), not just someone who can put on a good dance.

YMMV
If I needed a beautiful string piece, yes I would likely go to a classical composer and yes that likely means a master of theory. If I needed an old time bluegrass style tune for the soundtrack to a movie, I would go to an old time musician and I wouldn't care how much theory they knew. It's all relative.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Stevie did like the ninth and sixth, but to say that blues players hardly ever use the flattened fifth is like saying blues players hardly ever use half step bends or slides. I can't think of a single blues player that "hardly ever uses" the flattened fifth.
It's less common than you think.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Anyone who bends 4 to 5 in steps plays a flattened fifth. Who doesn't?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
It's less common than you think.
I'm not sure what "less common than you think" means. Are you saying that you have done a study of blues players and less than half will use the b5 in the course of soloing? Can you name any well known blues players who never use a b5? Just one?

This might be a good time for me to apologize for being such a stickler for accuracy. As a music teacher for the last 40+ years, it is important that folks who are speaking in musical terms accurately use the language associated with making music. We have all seen what happens to language when it is commonly twisted (Bad= bad = good = bad?". Also, making "jokes" about how folks might use music theory seems less like a joke and more like a self serving boost. I'm just another Bozo on this bus and no better than the next man (or woman). But I have spent much of my life producing music as a composer, performer, arranger, teacher, student and an instrument builder/repairman. So when it comes to folks making fun of knowledge that I think is important, I find it is best to be accurate in my response, even if it might rub the comedian the wrong way.

So I guess my actual response to the original "joke" should be,

"Thirty thousand comedians out of work in this country and you are trying to be one!"
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write