The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Music theory is easy -- and it's fun!

I've noticed how a lot of threads on theory often turn sour because we each have a different perception of what theory is and what it brings to the table.

So I did my homework and found the following from Boretz (1995) on Wikipedia:

Broadly, music theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory#cite_note-1

I hope you're all as excited as I am now that everyone can be known (or unknown) as a music theorist!

Here's some of my own examples of theory:

a) I always go to the bathroom before a recital because I think the music is much more enjoyable and flows better uninterrupted.

b) DELETED
c) I like to play the C chord with a pick because the C chord is just below the D chord and it makes me angry. I think I can express anger better with a pick so that's why I use a heavy pick to really convey my deep inner soulful thoughts.

Give theory a try! Anyone can do it!

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM

my wife often picks up and organizes my guitar mags if i leave them laying around. she also can tell the difference between my acoustic and electric guitars. the really sad thing is she doesn't feel that she is a music theorist.

when i was a kid, we had a dog that would bark whenever we sang, "happy birthday". the dog probably considered itself more of a critic than theorist.

Last edited by mc1; 04-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've noticed how a lot of threads on theory often turn sour because we each have a different perception of what theory is and what it brings to the table.

So I did my homework and found the following from Boretz (1995) on Wikipedia:

Broadly, music theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory#cite_note-1

I hope you're all as excited as I am now that everyone can be known (or unknown) as a music theorist!

Here's some of my own examples of theory:

a) I always go to the bathroom before a recital because I think the music is much more enjoyable and flows better uninterrupted.

b) DELETED

c) I like to play the C chord with a pick because the C chord is just below the D chord and it makes me angry. I think I can express anger better with a pick so that's why I use a heavy pick to really convey my deep inner soulful thoughts.

Give theory a try! Anyone can do it!
Hahaha. Brilliant.

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM

As a child, I taught my dog to play piano. (admittedly, not what I'd call "well") So I'll theorize many animals can play music. They just have different tastes than humans.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM

When you place your finger against a tightly stretched steel wire, pull it to one side horizontally, and quickly release it, the wire will vibrate, and if the wire is arranged properly over wood in a particular configuration, a pleasant sound emerges.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM

I am a music theorist, because I believe music is nice.
Jay Turser JTA-EGL Eagle very pretty guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition the mandatory electric
Yamaha C40 Classical

Some of My Videos:
Halfway Home Albatross Make You Feel My Love Little Things Wonderwall
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

if the music is good, girls scream, people give you lotsa money.
if the music is not good, you sit on a park bench alone.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
if the music is not good, you sit on a park bench alone.
If you're lucky...

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM

I Use the Kiss Method
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM

that gene simmons was some musical theorist!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the humour, guys.

To those who wonder whether theory is useful to the average musician, the answers here seem to suggest that it depends on what you make of it.

You've got the "over thinkers" -- typically beginners who wonder what an augmented chord is and whether it would help them with their barres. You can tell from their question that they don't get it.

And then you've got the "artists" -- players of various skill levels who will use every possible connection between theory and whatever vague concept comes through their mind to impress the crowd or justify their work.

Both extremes are bad... As with anything in life, a good balance usually works best.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
And then you've got the "artists" -- players of various skill levels who will use every possible connection between theory and whatever vague concept comes through their mind to impress the crowd or justify their work.

Both extremes are bad... As with anything in life, a good balance usually works best.
I don't really think it's extreme, for a person to have some dubious rationale as to why they or their work are special and awesome. (It can be extremely annoying, but it's also extremely common, and therefore not extreme.)

What that rationale is, varies according to that person's style and values, but knowledge is not a prerequisite for pretension. So the person that knows some stuff might have a complicated story, and the person who knows a lot less can have a story that speaks to their anti intellectual values. But it's still the same basic thing.

What each person praises or criticizes has everything to do with what they can do themselves; it outlines the set of values they would prefer other people use to judge them.

One guy is talking about chaos theory and fractal composition, and the other guy is talking about being "soulful" and "earthy", "genuine", "coming from a real place". You know, they're close to the earth. (Like worms.) They have feelings and stuff, and problems just like you, not like those other people with their bad intentions. (Evidently, being close to the earth imbues mind reading abilities. Who knew ?)

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I don't really think it's extreme, for a person to have some dubious rationale as to why they or their work are special and awesome. (It can be extremely annoying, but it's also extremely common, and therefore not extreme.)

What that rationale is, varies according to that person's style and values, but knowledge is not a prerequisite for pretension. So the person that knows some stuff might have a complicated BS story, and the person who knows a lot less can have a story that speaks to their anti intellectual values. But it's still the same basic thing.

What each person praises or criticizes has everything to do with what they can do themselves; it outlines the set of values they would prefer other people use to judge them.

One guy is talking about chaos theory and fractal composition, and the other guy is talking about being "soulful" and "earthy", "genuine", "coming from a real place". You know, they're close to the earth. (Like worms.) They have feelings and stuff, and problems just like you, not like those other people with their bad intentions. (Evidently, being close to the earth imbues mind reading abilities. Who knew ?)

Putting on airs about somehow being more authentic than other people is just as much of a joke as anything else. Maybe it's even a bit worse. You know what people, and experiences, are authentic in this world ? All of them.
I was merely describing theoretical extremes.

We're talking about music theory and the practicing musician.

Last edited by RP; 04-15-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I was merely describing theoretical extremes. No need to get all personal and bitter about it.

My hypothetical stereotyped people are no more personal than yours !

Quote:
We're talking about music theory and the practicing musician -- not the next miracle to save the world.
I'm not sure what calling out (all) people for subjective self indulgent thinking has to do with miracles and world saving. (Well, it would be miraculous if the we all stopped doing that stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

joecharter, i went to your youtube page and checked you out....very beautiful music, you have talent...i enjoyed it. You know, a person can know theory or not, read music or not, the results are what counts. looking fwd to listening to you again!

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write