The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Imagine the disaster if they eliminated fingerboard dots on orchestral string instruments.

Just being a wise guy...hope I don't offend anyone.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM

I played fretless instruments for so long I don't even notice, had to think about it for a sec, I have two guitars without any. Classical and ironically and Epiphone DOT. It may have some on the side, i forget, not handy.

I definitely would use the correction fluid or put quality ones on from LMII or wherever.
I have an ancient classical that someone took a knife too, i think. I didn't think it was intentional at first, but there there is a big old cut at the 7th fret....the more I thought about it, it is clearly multiple cuts, with ink or blood or whatever rubbed into it..I think it was intentional.

But he's pretty funky all around

Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Imagine the disaster if they eliminated fingerboard dots on orchestral string instruments.

Just being a wise guy...hope I don't offend anyone.
...yeah but on the other hand which one of us here had a serious classical training with solfege,dictee and all the other stuff you learn on music schools?
its rhetorical question.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Wow! There sure are a lot of egos here! What starts as a simple question turns into an all out attack on one another. And mostly due to difference of opinions. Anyway....

As for putting dot markers on the neck, do it, don't do it. To each their own. Don't worry about putting something on your brand new guitar. The guitar is a tool used to create music. Do whatever you need or want to meet that end. Eventually, we become use to playing without the fret markers, even when they are there. I don't look at them to play the pieces and exercises I know by heart (hand). My brain and hands know exactly what to do. I do get a little thrown at times when going from my 14 fret to my 12 fret guitar. I get caught moving to to the 7th fret thinking I am on the 5th for example. Silly fingers!

As for playing in the dark: I like to play in the dark. It gives the ear and the sound in the room an entirely different perspective. It's kinda nice. As for the audience caring or not, I have actually performed works where I turned off all the lights. This forces the listener to listen and not let any visual distractions take away from the music. The audiences have really enjoy it.

On another but similar topic: I recently saw Leo Kottke and his guitars had no fret markers on the front of the fretboard (I didn't see the side so I don't know if he had any there). I found the simplistic unadorned look to be very attractive and it made me wonder why there are fret board markers on the front of the guitar anyway? We don't see them when we play. Just one of those things that crossed my mind while watching Leo.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Mike View Post

As for playing in the dark: I like to play in the dark. It gives the ear and the sound in the room an entirely different perspective. It's kinda nice. As for the audience caring or not, I have actually performed works where I turned off all the lights. This forces the listener to listen and not let any visual distractions take away from the music. The audiences have really enjoy it.
you missed my point
i like to play in the dark too
..she does too because she has to... she cant see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0H0WOW4AA
she is better than me but that doesnt make her a better guitarist from the guys than can see and look at the fretboard and use dots

my point is why try not to use dots when they really dont affect your playing?
but yes if my purpose was to play in the dark then i 'll try not to see at the fretboard
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
you missed my point
I apparently did. I was referring to your statement about the audience. I completely missed your post and / or reference about the blind women playing Bach or the comments that went with it. I don't know how I could have missed that. My apologies.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I apparently did. I was referring to your statement about the audience. I completely missed your post and / or reference about the blind women playing Bach or the comments that went with it. I don't know how I could have missed that. My apologies.
i like a little irony from someome who talks about ego
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
i like a little irony from someome who talks about ego
Me too! Funny how that works. But in all seriousness, I really didn't see the connection.

So here is another one of my random thoughts (much like the "Why do they put fret markers on the front of guitars" thought when watching Leo Kottke): Speaking of the blind, (and I really do think about this kind of stuff, I'm not just being a smart @#$) how does blind person now when he/she is done wiping?

Adios.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Me too! Funny how that works. But in all seriousness, I really didn't see the connection.

So here is another one of my random thoughts (much like the "Why do they put fret markers on the front of guitars" thought when watching Leo Kottke): Speaking of the blind, (and I really do think about this kind of stuff, I'm not just being a smart @#$) how does blind person now when he/she is done wiping?

Adios.
adios
ps post a video of you playing in the dark
i really want to see what you are playing
ps2 post a video of you playing on any kind of light

Last edited by Paikon; 01-17-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

lol this is a lot of drama over little dots.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
hey, the 7th dot is important and let me not speak about the 9th fret dot

Last edited by Paikon; 01-18-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
When you write a check...it is !
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM

I don't understand the problem. Why are youz guyz even looking at the neck? You should be looking at the notation on your sheet music or just play looking out over the audience.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I don't understand the problem. Why are youz guyz even looking at the neck? You should be looking at the notation on your sheet music or just play looking out over the audience.
Well evidently ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Also, as for not looking at the fretboard while playing, I've seen videos of Segovia in which he stares at it constantly.

-Bob
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
hey, the 7th dot is important and let me not speak about the 9th fret dot
I like one on the 5th and 12th as well for when i do octave harmonics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical