The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Default 66 and just getting started

I was a five chord wonder most of my life, but just started learning finger style about a year ago to help with brain activity. Still working 50 hours a week, but manage to sneak in an hour practice several nights a week. I will never play for anyone but myself, but I enjoy it. It is my goal to work with an instructor, just haven't found one yet.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Default 41 and 2 years in

I have slightly different, but relevant situation. I played trumpet for 30 years, but had an accident with a table saw 3 years ago, and had 1.5 inches of my right index finger amputated. That forced me to quit trumpet, and started quite a dark part of my life (although I hadn't played regularly).

I decided I had to take up another instrument, and I picked guitar. I started with a teacher, and oddly enough, ended up doing almost all technical exercises for a year, and could not play a single song . I switched teachers, and was playing songs in 1 lesson . I think that was partially to all the technical exercises though. I will say though, as many others have, as an older beginner, I had the perseverance to stick through the first year.

I also had an issue that I travel a lot, but solved that buy getting a Voyage Air. That helped me practice in hotel rooms a lot!

One website I would recommend is http://www.justinguitar.com. It is a fun and very useful site. Not only does it help you learn, it also helps you gauge where you are too

I haver to say, I wish I had take up guitar much sooner - being able to play on your own (with trumpet, you need to be in a band really...). I absolutely love playing, and am just having a guitar in my hand makes me happy
Fender Strat American Standard HSS
Fender Strat American Deluxe
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Just wanted to say...

I am really enjoying this thread. Reading these posts is making me rethink my relationship to the guitar. For some time now, I have been feeling just sort of "out of gas" or something along those lines - flat... and I just kind of set it aside and have been fooling around on keyboard instead.

Then, there is this thread and a "why I love chord melody" over on one of the jazz forum sites, and both are getting me to rethink all the time I have put in over the years on guitar.

Thanks ...

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write