The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Age brings patience

I’m 53 and started playing around the time of my 50th birthday. Figured I needed a good hobby. Have been loving it ever since. Never really had the interest (or patience) to really try learning before. Success had to be instant at anything I tried. I’m gentler with myself now. Getting older (for me) brings more patience – don’t think there wasn’t days I wanted to quit – that I’d never be able to play anything resembling a tune. I love playing outdoors at picnic tables in quiet parks or on my deck in the evening. Received some thrills when my neighbour mentioned to me that she has heard me and loves it, or to those strangers that come up to me in the park to remark on how well I play. Wow its humbling.

Paul
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM

I agree with what everyone's been saying. When I was a kid, I took piano lessons, but I lost interest after a while and practice became a chore - the end product was the goal, and it wasn't all that satisfying. Now that I'm a little more grown-up and have picked up guitar, it's a completely different experience. I'm super-busy, so practice time is my source of leisure, rather than something that competes with TV and video games. It's still goal-oriented - I think you have to be to accomplish anything - but the joy comes from the playing itself, not just from having finished a song or aiming to impress peers.

Seeing yourself progress (little by little, even within one practice session) and keeping a "I can't wait until..." mindset (instead of "ugh, why can't I...") is key. So is daily dedicated practice time, but you know that Best of luck!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM

I am 41. I played from age 15-19 than stopped till about 6mos ago. I think the biggest thing being older is memory. I could memorize things back than and remember them for longer periods. Now, if say I learn something new that is involved, like a new song, if I dont play it all the time I will forget it. Everyone is different I suspect with memory retainage. My hands are fine, my ears are fine. Back can get sore, or shoulder.

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM

I started playing 2 years ago at the age of 60, so you have a pretty good start with a lot of years ahead of you. I'm self teaching myself and am learning and improving all the time. The internet and instructional CD's are things that were not available many years ago when I first attempted guitar playing. Having a friend to coach you is something I wish I had, but unfortunately none of my circle of friends do anything musical.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Thank you all. The posts are all VERY inspiring!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 AM

52....Newbie...and Loving it

I took lessons when I was 10 or so...quit after 3 weeks......Now I have the maturity and desire to practice........The wife now has to tell me "stop practicing, get to bed" !!

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 PM

I turned 43 in November and just started playing 4 weeks ago tomorrow! It has been a wonderful..but frustrating month. I know a good bit of chords but my heart is with Notation. Reading Theory books like a crazy person but enjoying it so much. LOL I can play Somewhere over the rainbow from memory- learned from notation. Sounds silly but I was so jazzed the first time.

I have a teacher that comes to the house once a week for two hours. Money so well spent. But I practice about 2 hours a day minimum.

Enjoy your new passion!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastowers View Post
I turned 43 in November and just started playing 4 weeks ago tomorrow! It has been a wonderful..but frustrating month. I know a good bit of chords but my heart is with Notation. Reading Theory books like a crazy person but enjoying it so much. LOL I can play Somewhere over the rainbow from memory- learned from notation. Sounds silly but I was so jazzed the first time.

I have a teacher that comes to the house once a week for two hours. Money so well spent. But I practice about 2 hours a day minimum.

Enjoy your new passion!!
Great! I would love to spend 2 hrs per day. I am usually at about 30 - 45 min per day. Two small kids take a lot of my time. I am getting them interested in it too. I want to get them interested in music from the start!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Guest 429

Congrats!!!

I started as a kid really but appreciate your "beginner's mind" because we ALL need to keep that to some extent to keep things fresh.

My only advice: 1) make everything you learn applicable to SONGS. Start with songs and stay with songs forever. 2) only work on 1 thing "problem" at a time.

The best to you!

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

This is an interesting thread, and one worth reading for any of us who are in that "boomer" bracket, regardless of when we started. For many of us as we get older, we start re-evaluating ourselves and our lives and often make some direction changes, often involving what we are doing with guitar. I have read a number of posts in various forums in which people are switching from rock and/or blues to jazz or acoustic fingerstyle, from playing in bar bands to playing more for themselves, open mics, and friends. So, in a sense, many of us are sort of starting over and joining those who are just starting. We all have a stake in a thread like this.

That said, I can highly recommend two books that would be quite useful for those of us even partially described in the preceding paragraph:

1. (Already recommended earlier in this thread, but worth repeating) Guitar Zero. I am reading it right now and, though I have been playing off and on for some time, am finding this book quite interesting. Some years ago, I worked with the David Sudnow self-study piano method. In that method, he talked a lot about how adults learn and his course was aimed directly at older adults who wanted to learn to play tunes on the piano in a sophisticated manner (cocktail style). Everything he said is now verified by research in this Guitar Zero book. For the adult learning (or re-learning) to play an instrument, this book is a real gem to be read and reread as we progress on our musical journey.

2. Serious Guitar by Michael Hoffman. Google for it because you can only buy it directly from him, and you might want to read a review or two about it. The subtitle is "Instruction for the Serious Guitar Student". One of the tenets of the Guitar Zero book is that adults can learn to play an instrument just fine. However, as we get older, it becomes necessary to take the new information and practice in smaller chunks. This book, Serious Guitar, will give you a COMPLETE foundation in how music works on the guitar in a very linear manner, step by step. You will always know exactly what to do and how to know when to move on to the next page. I am quite impressed with this book. If you patiently (as we can much better do as we get older!!!) work through it as prescribed in the beginning of the book, you will come to understand all the issues that people ask about in the "PLAY" forum about how music works, how songs are put together, etc. This book does it in a very complete and efficient manner. It leaves no gaps, does not jump around, and does not rely on you having to go to other resources to understand the material presented. This book is not about a particular style. Instead, it is getting into your hands, fretboard, and brain, the underpinnings of how music works in any style, and then you apply that to whatever style interests you. The way this book works is really how Guitar Zero says that adults learn best. Neither book talks about the other, but I have both and can say that they very could have done so and been accurate. After completing this book, you will be much better equipped to determine what you need to learn whatever style of music interests you, and everything you learned in this book will support and apply to that next area of learning.

There are no DVDs, CDs, etc that go with this book, nor is there anything else to buy from this author. There is no need because of the completeness of the book as it is presented. The book assumes that you have some familiarity with the fretboard and can play common chords and get around a bit. The first part of the book reviews what you need to know to get through the rest of the book. If you can comprehend and work with that section, then you are ready for the book. If not, then some prep work is in order. If that is the case, you can set the book down for some period of time to learn the prerequisites and then get into it. The prerequisites are nothing special, and are pretty much what most players would understand if they have been playing for a year or two or three. The book is really very straightforward and presented in a manner that assures you will take in the material if you work with it as the author suggests.

The few reviews I have seen about this book seem to be from people who are older and have decided they need to learn about music after they had been playing a while or have decided to take up guitar later in life. Really, there is not much said about the book anywhere, so I am not sure that it is well known, but it really should be. There isn't anything else that I have seen quite like it. The book uses fretboard diagrams, TAB, and notation. My (older) version is 192 pages. Everything is presented in the key of G and it is up to you to go through it in the other 11 major keys after you master it in G. That keeps the size and cost of the book down, as well as not overwhelming you with repetitive information, so you can stay focused on what matters all the way through. By working through the other keys yourself, you really begin to internalize the information.

Here is the link for Serious Guitar: http://seriousguitar.com/

The book costs $48, but is well worth it. I have the earlier version, and have not seen the new one, but understand that he has added to it. There is a note on the site:

NOTICE! Serious Guitar book orders will be suspended from July 29th 2011 until August of 2012. Email will still be working so feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thanks.

So you can contact him and he will respond, but you won't be able to get the book until August. I sent him an email and he did respond. He is out of the country right now, but will be back in August.

Regards,

Tony
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This is an interesting thread, and one worth reading for any of us who are in that "boomer" bracket, regardless of when we started. For many of us as we get older, we start re-evaluating ourselves and our lives and often make some direction changes, often involving what we are doing with guitar. I have read a number of posts in various forums in which people are switching from rock and/or blues to jazz or acoustic fingerstyle, from playing in bar bands to playing more for themselves, open mics, and friends. So, in a sense, many of us are sort of starting over and joining those who are just starting. We all have a stake in a thread like this.

That said, I can highly recommend two books that would be quite useful for those of us even partially described in the preceding paragraph:

1. (Already recommended earlier in this thread, but worth repeating) Guitar Zero. I am reading it right now and, though I have been playing off and on for some time, am finding this book quite interesting. Some years ago, I worked with the David Sudnow self-study piano method. In that method, he talked a lot about how adults learn and his course was aimed directly at older adults who wanted to learn to play tunes on the piano in a sophisticated manner (cocktail style). Everything he said is now verified by research in this Guitar Zero book. For the adult learning (or re-learning) to play an instrument, this book is a real gem to be read and reread as we progress on our musical journey.

2. Serious Guitar by Michael Hoffman. Google for it because you can only buy it directly from him, and you might want to read a review or two about it. The subtitle is "Instruction for the Serious Guitar Student". One of the tenets of the Guitar Zero book is that adults can learn to play an instrument just fine. However, as we get older, it becomes necessary to take the new information and practice in smaller chunks. This book, Serious Guitar, will give you a COMPLETE foundation in how music works on the guitar in a very linear manner, step by step. You will always know exactly what to do and how to know when to move on to the next page. I am quite impressed with this book. If you patiently (as we can much better do as we get older!!!) work through it as prescribed in the beginning of the book, you will come to understand all the issues that people ask about in the "PLAY" forum about how music works, how songs are put together, etc. This book does it in a very complete and efficient manner. It leaves no gaps, does not jump around, and does not rely on you having to go to other resources to understand the material presented. This book is not about a particular style. Instead, it is getting into your hands, fretboard, and brain, the underpinnings of how music works in any style, and then you apply that to whatever style interests you. The way this book works is really how Guitar Zero says that adults learn best. Neither book talks about the other, but I have both and can say that they very could have done so and been accurate. After completing this book, you will be much better equipped to determine what you need to learn whatever style of music interests you, and everything you learned in this book will support and apply to that next area of learning.

There are no DVDs, CDs, etc that go with this book, nor is there anything else to buy from this author. There is no need because of the completeness of the book as it is presented. The book assumes that you have some familiarity with the fretboard and can play common chords and get around a bit. The first part of the book reviews what you need to know to get through the rest of the book. If you can comprehend and work with that section, then you are ready for the book. If not, then some prep work is in order. If that is the case, you can set the book down for some period of time to learn the prerequisites and then get into it. The prerequisites are nothing special, and are pretty much what most players would understand if they have been playing for a year or two or three. The book is really very straightforward and presented in a manner that assures you will take in the material if you work with it as the author suggests.

The few reviews I have seen about this book seem to be from people who are older and have decided they need to learn about music after they had been playing a while or have decided to take up guitar later in life. Really, there is not much said about the book anywhere, so I am not sure that it is well known, but it really should be. There isn't anything else that I have seen quite like it. The book uses fretboard diagrams, TAB, and notation. My (older) version is 192 pages. Everything is presented in the key of G and it is up to you to go through it in the other 11 major keys after you master it in G. That keeps the size and cost of the book down, as well as not overwhelming you with repetitive information, so you can stay focused on what matters all the way through. By working through the other keys yourself, you really begin to internalize the information.

Here is the link for Serious Guitar: http://seriousguitar.com/

The book costs $48, but is well worth it. I have the earlier version, and have not seen the new one, but understand that he has added to it. There is a note on the site:

NOTICE! Serious Guitar book orders will be suspended from July 29th 2011 until August of 2012. Email will still be working so feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thanks.

So you can contact him and he will respond, but you won't be able to get the book until August. I sent him an email and he did respond. He is out of the country right now, but will be back in August.

Regards,

Tony
Thank you Tony. Great info!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Thank you Tony. Great info!

Absolutely......Just bought Guitar Zero now.......Looks interesting, even asside from the guitar topic

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Another note here re starting "late" at about 40 yrs old.
Internet is amazing tool to learn from and I've found a great hobby.

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Oh, and another thing - once GAS takes hold, there are benefits in that a new guitar inspires you to continue to learn and improve.

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 PM

Default hello, fellow old pickers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
I started to play at age 45, not quite a year ago now.

I think the biggest mistake I made starting out was focusing almost entirely on technical exercises (chords, chord transitions, some sight-reading via Mel Bay) rather than learning some songs. It wasn't until I starting learning some songs that I really started enjoying practicing, because I was finally making music. I still work on the technical stuff, but now I also work on songs every time I practice.

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as an absolute beginner, it would be to pick some song that sounds pretty good but is not too hard to play (my first song like this was Dust in the Wind, there are thousands of other possibilities) and to work on it a little every time I practice. I would also tell myself not to worry about how long it took me to learn it (it took me months to get to where I could play Dust in the Wind at a reasonable speed).

I just think that being able to play a song all the way through and having it sound pretty good is a dealmaker. If you like to sing (I do, even though I'm not very good), being able to accompany yourself on the guitar changes everything. After doing it just once, I am hooked forever.
I think playing songs is a great way to progress in playing.
You are inevitably going to run across a difficult chord progression that you are going to be encouraged to learn in order to play the song you have chosen.
A few random thoughts:
I pickedthe up the guitar years ago and would play until I hit what I have come to call "The six month wall". I would play and progress for six months only to find that I had reached a plateau in my ability. I would then become frustrated and quit, only to take it up years later with the same result.
Around ten years ago at age 52 I tried it again and tried hard to push through the "Six Month Wall".
One thing that helped me was working on shows for the stage I had written with a professional guitar player who provided a great deal of encouragement to me. He knew I would never reach the professional level of playing that he was able to do through a lifetime of study and performing, but he refused to let me compromise my efforts to use what strengths I have.
He even let me sit in on some prfessional gigs with him.
While humbling (there is nothing more daunting to be playing lead and singing when the back line kicks in and you know that you have no choice but to keep up), the experiences have been life changing and invaluable in my guitar playing journey.
I'm 62 now, and playing the guitar is one of the least self destructive, most edifying part of my life.
Love to play, and play to Love

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write