The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Beginner Playing Fingerstyle

I am a brand new guitar player just got my guitar 2 weeks ago. And I really like fingerstyle more then all the others. My question is would it be better to just start doing fingerstyle now or should I learn how to strum first? Since it seems like fingerstyle is learning two things at one time. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Also seeing Mark Hanson in a couple weeks since he will be in my area for 2 shows.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

If fingerstyle is what you like best then there is no reason not to learn fingerstyle first off, if thats what you expect to be playing 90% of your time then spend 90% of your practice time learning it
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Most people suggest that you start with strumming, but I started with fingerstyle.

Both styles require that you can smoothly do chord transitions, maintain tempo, etc. I often switch to strumming when I'm trying to nail a new chord transition, and then I'll switch back to fingerstyle.

Bottom line: follow your passion.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't see any problems starting with fingerstyle necessarily, but you will want to get a dozen or so basic chords and the ability to switch freely between them (while strictly keeping the beat) under your belt sooner rather than later - and you may find it easier to work on that if your right hand is just doing some simple strumming.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM

The best advice I ever got when learning to play was to "keep it fun".
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM

I'd recommend learning your first position chords first and a simple chord progression that can be used in many songs (i.e. A-D-E7). Work on smooth transitions at first using a simple strum since it's so forgiving. What I mean by this is that it will take your fretted fingers awhile to gain strength. Some of your chords will not sound clear at first and will sound kind of muted. Strumming helps mask some of this while your fingers develop strength and you won't be that frustrated. When you feel comfortable with the sound you're getting, apply a fingerstyle accompaniment pattern to the chord progression (i.e. travis pick, arpeggio, etc). This will give you a solid foundation to move onto more complicated stuff. I use this learning progression with young students I teach and it works well.

Hope this helps,

Rafael
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM

I recommend learning to strum first.

That will allow you to learn to make smooth chord changes and get your timing down before moving onto fingerstyle.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Im already learning 3 basic chord songs already. Just trying to get my fret hand and chords down smoothly. Ill strum until i feel comfortable enough with my fret hand and chords then will switch to fingerstyle.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM

When you start finger picking you might want to think about a lesson or two or maybe some online or DVD lessons/demonstrations. I learned decades ago on my own and still fingerpick with just my thumb and forefinger most of the time. But most of all keep on playing, play songs you like and have fun.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Congratulations on getting started with guitar. What a fun time this is.

I find that I make the most progress when I isolate what I'm trying to learn. Accordingly, I would start by strumming some chords until I was comfortable with the chord changes and then switch to fingerstyle once I could do the chord changes relatively smoothly.

And the first song I would tackle playing fingerstyle is Dust in the Wind. That one has relatively easy chord changes, sounds good and is pretty familiar.

You will have a blast. Good luck.
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

It doesn't matter whether you start picking or strumming first as long as whatever you do, you do it to a count.

Either way you are going to have to deal with the changes. Strumming is hard for a beginner who often doesn't seem to realise that you dont have to alternate down and upstrokes. Strumming properly can also require just as much coordination and nuance as complex fingerpicking. In the end its all about feeling what you play and putting that energy into the performance.

Rhythm is the most important thing to develop early on I reckon. You can play straight and simple and slow but with good timing and you can play with anyone plus it'll sound great.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Spark…
I teach students to both strum and fingerpick (simple patterns) right from lesson one.

I've found no reason people need to focus on one more than the other.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Good evening Spark. Congrats for your passion to play fingerstyle guitar. Follow your passion as you will be motivated to learn and appreciate the outcome of your efforts. If it is fingerstyle - follow the passion, chase learning fingerstyle.

How about learning to fingerpick a song that stays in one chord like the song Miss. John Hurt performed - Shake That Thing. It stays in the G chord and dances around. It was my introduction to fingerstyle blues and is pleasurable to play to this day. (BTW; The song was credited to Papa Jackson for being the writer. I learned the MJH version from Stefan Grossman material.)

Best wishes for your passion to learn fingerstyle guitar.

Eric -
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 AM

If I may be so bold as to suggest, if you're interested in fingerstyle, try a few classical guitar lessons. This may not be the style you're interested in or may end up playing, but it will give you a glimpse of the most efficient time tested way to use the right hand fingers. It's OK to tell the teacher what you want to learn so he doesn't get too involved with reading music and classical songs, and he may be able to help you avoid some bad habits that you may have to unlearn later.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM
HarleySpirit

Hi Spark,
Welcome to the forum! Here is my friendly suggestion:
To get you started learning fingerstyle, follow my signature free lesson link and work on the 3 patterns shown. Continue to practise these patterns daily. Players who pass up on this free lesson, later realize how easy one can learn to play all kinds of songs earlier on, utlilizing this picking method. Additional styles (eg. classical) will also benefit you as you continue along. Get started now, while you are just beginning, and you will be thanking me later!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write