The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
call you elaborate of the thumb move that's neither up nor down? i can imagine something akin to slapping the bass, which would be hitting the string with the side of the thumb.
I think Steve talks about this and demos is pretty clearly in his lesson - 2nd half of the longer video, he's sort of putting his thumb under the string and snapping it. In practice, once he gets going fast, it seems to me to be pretty much the same as a normal thumb "pluck" of the bass strings most of the time.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think Steve talks about this and demos is pretty clearly in his lesson - 2nd half of the longer video, he's sort of putting his thumb under the string and snapping it. In practice, once he gets going fast, it seems to me to be pretty much the same as a normal thumb "pluck" of the bass strings most of the time.
i watched and listened again more closely, and while he mentions the thumb stroke as different from a downstroke, it does seem quite similar, perhaps more 'outward' in direction, which would result in the string hitting the frets upon return.

thanks for the links: gyan rilay and steve baughman (i now know how to pronounce his name correctly). they were interesting. searching 'clawhammer guitar' brings up a lot of traditional fingerpickers, and not just from the land of prince charles.

the backs of the nails seem somwhat limited, but still there is some cool potential there.

i've watch the agustin amigo 'lady in red' video i linked to a few more times and he basically uses one finger per string in his finger downstrokes, as opposed to a 'frailing' technique. he doesn't really alternate pick with them, but he almost does.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM

i stumbled across this video today and thought i would post the link:

Thumbpick upstroke exercice by Antoine Dufour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enYd...eature=related
Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 AM

i think i'll update this thread. i have been noticing lots of downstrokes with fingers lately. from a more simple "clawhammer" type technique, to this i happened across today: tony mcmanus playing "shallow brown".

he is basically using his index finger as a pick for downstrokes, supporting it with his thumb.

unfortunately the mic is somewhat in the way. the video on this page is better, but i can't embed it.

https://pegheadnation.com/featured-v...shallow-brown/
Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Ah, new life breathed into an old thread.

I have used the back of the fingernail to down stroke on one or two strings as part of playing fingerstyle, for example in my tune "Happy".

You can of course do whatever you want - just may take practice.

For an interesting sideline video, here is West Montgomery's style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOm17yw__6U

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM

thanks for reviving this post. I just learned a ton! And bought Steve's DVD - currently downloading. His clawhammer technique is exactly what I've been looking for (not that I knew that until seeing his youtube vid). Takes me exactly where I want to go.

Have been playing a lot lately with downward backs of nails, strumming out fingerstyle tunes with precise nail brushings. I bought a charango a few months ago, and find that the way I play that little thing has completely changed my approach to guitar, for the infinite better. Have got that strumming style down but need to take it somewhere new now - clawhammer seems exactly that.

Long live this forum!!
Voyage-Air VAOM-02 2012 (not sure/lam hog)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM

I've got this thumb upstroke exercise bookmarked for when when i start to use a thumb pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enYdAj9uas
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy99 View Post
thanks for reviving this post. I just learned a ton! And bought Steve's DVD - currently downloading. His clawhammer technique is exactly what I've been looking for (not that I knew that until seeing his youtube vid). Takes me exactly where I want to go.
You might also check out this lesson from Steve on the "Middle Finger Thwack", a less extreme technique than clawhammer, but still using downstrokes. If I recall, Steve picked this technique (and name) up from Martin Simpson, another source of info about frailing, clawhammer, and other alternate right hand techniques

Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM

i've been watching this video from guitarquango in the show and tell section (thread here), and he often downstrokes with his middle finger to play a string or two.

i never knew so many players did this sort of thing.

Last edited by mc1; 02-06-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 AM

I some times alternate the high end on 1st , 2nd or 3rd string using my index and middle fingers and then strum the bass with my thumb. opposite of alternating bass. I also sometimes also strum the chord in place of a bass note with my thumb when fingerpicking or cross picking with my fingers.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Ah, new life breathed into an old thread.

I have used the back of the fingernail to down stroke on one or two strings as part of playing fingerstyle, for example in my tune "Happy".

You can of course do whatever you want - just may take practice.

For an interesting sideline video, here is West Montgomery's style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOm17yw__6U
so does wes use upstrokes with his thumb? is that for chords/octaves, or for scale passages, or both? i always thought of him as all downstrokes (without being any sort of expert).
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
so does wes use upstrokes with his thumb? is that for chords/octaves, or for scale passages, or both? i always thought of him as all downstrokes (without being any sort of expert).
Nope, have not seen Wes use thumb upstrokes. Just thought it was interesting how he plays. He does use a index finger tremolo sort of thing at one point.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
call you elaborate of the thumb move that's neither up nor down? i can imagine something akin to slapping the bass, which would be hitting the string with the side of the thumb.
I'm learning clawhammer and it took me some hours to figure the thumb movement. But suddenly, by accident, I produced an incredible and powerful sound with my thumb and understood what Steve meant.

Not easy to explain in another language but lean your thumb on E bass string, let your other fingers flat and then make as if you want to close your fist. This will make your thumb rotating and get a slap on the string.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Deleted by author.

Last edited by Inyo; 05-14-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write