The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM

Yes, there are passages where the rhythm is kind of surprising. But good for you for focusing on the rhythm, because getting it to flow right is really important to the song. Also, he does play it a little different on youtube from on the mp3 that comes with the tab---and maybe even that mp3 doesn't quite match the tab in all details. So, to be faithful to his take on the song, I wasn't too concerned with matching the tab or any one of his performances exactly either. :-)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa View Post
Yes, there are passages where the rhythm is kind of surprising. But good for you for focusing on the rhythm, because getting it to flow right is really important to the song. Also, he does play it a little different on youtube from on the mp3 that comes with the tab---and maybe even that mp3 doesn't quite match the tab in all details. So, to be faithful to his take on the song, I wasn't too concerned with matching the tab or any one of his performances exactly either. :-)
Tell me if I'm reading the tab right. Are you supposed to play bars 11-15, then 11-18 and then 11-18 again? The symbols are throwing me off. Hope you're still out there!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
Tell me if I'm reading the tab right. Are you supposed to play bars 11-15, then 11-18 and then 11-18 again? The symbols are throwing me off. Hope you're still out there!
Play 11 - 18 (the bracket above the staff with a "1." means "play this the first time through")

then 11 - 15 (this is the whole second repeat).

then continue starting at 19.

The misleading thing is that the bracket with a "2." is unnecessary, as it is placed after the end-of-repeated-section mark. (So it's not as though without that bracket you would play that material the first time through.) What would make the most sense would be for the end-of-repeated-section mark to be at the end of measure 21, which is the end of the passage musically. But it is equivalent to just cross out that "2." bracket.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks whoa! Yeah I was hoping it wasn't just me who thought that bracketed 2 looked out of place. It's times like this I wish I knew how to sight read. The timing is funny on this piece and if you don't get it just right, it doesn't sound like the same song.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy10 View Post
This is attempt> Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?gl=GB.../1/ifKJV1qYuHE

John
Well done!

I find myself playing Andy's songs but changing them up a little. I feel that sometimes he makes it more difficult than it needs to be
2003 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Taylor Solid Body Custom Spalted Maple 1 of 8
ESP (LTD) MH-1000 - FR & EMG (Gone)
2010 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Aged Cherry
Takamine EG-124
Ibanez SZ520QM
and a few others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write