The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I think you took that the wrong way. He didn’t say anything about your singing, he just said there are certain instruments (i.e. the voice) you can’t just change on a whim, doesn’t make it any less enjoyable though working on your technique.

Maybe another comparison would be the grand piano - most likely a pianist will only be able to afford and have space for one. We’re lucky with guitar that there are so many options out there, often for a modest cost, but owning multiple guitars is by no means for everyone. I can only justify owning two for my own needs - one for gigging that I don’t care if it gets dinged or could live with it getting stolen, and a better one for my own pleasure at home.
No...he knew what he meant...and I did not take it the wrong way. I'm not a thin skinned guy....but lets try to keep this place civil.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Singers don't have this trouble; they just make do with the one voice they have and don't complain it's as bad as eating only cornflakes every day for the rest of their life.

I think having to play the same one song forever might be like having Corn Flakes everyday. But needing lots of different guitars? Nah, sorry, not buying it!
Good point but Singers don't have a choice to have multiple voices.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 AM

I have one acoustic guitar after a 40+ year search for the "one". For me, I always knew it existed, I just had to put in the work to find it. That work entails PLAYING a LOT of guitars. It probably won't come in a box, purchased because of pretty toneswoods, the exact specs, and an audio clip. I still remember the first strum and now, over 5 years later, I still get that burst of excitement every time I uncase it and hit a chord.

So, if you play that type of guitar you'll know it. You won't need to experiment with arm rests, multiple string experiments, bridge pins, or anything other than a great set-up and roll on. They're rare, and you'll have to search diligently until it happens.

I wish you luck! The reward is sweet.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
The fact that you're asking this question suggests to me that you've already thought this through (very detailed post), really want to buy this guitar, and are simply looking for others to agree with the decision you've already made. Presuming you have, in fact, carefully thought this through I say go for it !
Heh, a little bit of both. No, I'm truly conflicted and just looking for advice from other players.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:02 AM

It might be a nice guitar, but it won't be the one you played.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Depends how much of a dent in your finances $6k would make. The more significant that sum is for you, the more sure you ought to be before spending (not investing!) it.

Also, feeling "precious" about a guitar because one has over-spent can inhibit playing and enjoyment.

Bottom line - if you can buy it and forget the money, go for it. But if the money is going to weigh on your mind and/or conscience for a long time into the future, think carefully.
+1 to this
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 01-24-2020, 11:27 AM

So I've done this!

I sold my Martin MMV, then worked a side job to afford my Furch Alpine/Cocobolo in a Grand Auditorium size.

I think it's been worth every penny, especially since it opened up!

I should give a caveat in that I have my first guitar, a Martin DX1 still, but my cousin has it currently, and it's a beater for trips or campfires. I do use the Furch every Sunday for worship.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:59 AM

OP, have you tried the cheaper Lowdens? I got my F32 preowned for £2200 ($2900). Just changed the strings for the first time and it sounds so good I feel drunk. Unless you are dead set on rarer woods than spruce/EIR you might want to try and get your hands on one for comparison.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Going all in on ONE guitar is fine - but it MUST be the right guitar. Not just the right make/model, either. It has to be THE one.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Well thats pretty insulting...really. Think about what you said. By reading my post you come to the conclusion I cant sing ( your quote: "singers dont have this trouble" like I'm not a real singer), I'm a complainer, and its wrong that I like to have a variety of guitars to play. The OP asked for opinions so I gave him mine. Thats because I can formulate a response to the question, not take a poke at someones elses post. The last bit about the movie was allegorical. So instead of addressing the subject and supporting your decision as to why you dont like multiple instruments, you bash me for my opinion. I know guys who fish who have lots of rod and reels, each for its own application. Or sportsmen with different gauge shotguns. This is no different. Nice...this place s getting like facebook, dont why I even bother posting here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I think you took that the wrong way. He didn’t say anything about your singing, he just said there are certain instruments (i.e. the voice) you can’t just change on a whim, doesn’t make it any less enjoyable though working on your technique.
Exactly that. My point, as foxo correctly understood, is that once you can't change your instrument on a whim you actually work on technique and find enjoyment rather than constantly buying new toys. That doesn't make an instrument - whether it's your voice or a church organ as boring as eating conflakes - you just explore it more deeply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
No...he knew what he meant...and I did not take it the wrong way. I'm not a thin skinned guy....but lets try to keep this place civil.
Just no. Not at all. I have literally no idea whatsoever if you can sing or not. How on earth would I know that?? You don't even have anything linked in your sig that I might have clicked on. I've never once heard you sing or play. I didn't even know you did sing. I assume you play guitar as you're on a guitar forum, but beyond that assumption, I literally know nothing about you. Do you know if I can sing or how well?

I've re-read my post, and I honestly don't understand how you interpreted it as insult to singing - yours or anyone's. You said playing the same guitar every day is boring, like having to eat cornflakes every day and I said singers don't get bored of their voices, they just work on them (or if they do, tough, they still just have to work on them), so I don't agree; I'm ok playing the same guitar every day as that isn't related to my technique, which is what I really need to work on, in the same way as I enjoy trying to work on my singing - which is also mostly technique. I'm pretty bad at it, but I'm making progress so I'm happy.

Let's not forget that the "trouble" we're discussing is constantly buying new instruments instead of working with what they've got.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-24-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Going all in on ONE guitar is fine - but it MUST be the right guitar. Not just the right make/model, either. It has to be THE one.
Correct in all areas!

And I will add that it requires dedication to the belief that "one" exists, and commitment to continue the search until it's found. There's no virtue in having that goal, nor is there error in not having it as a goal, it's a personal issue and therefore no need to debate that aspect of it. It's also a personal objective you've committed to for long term.

The results for me, were numerous. I've visited many, many guitar stores from around the nation, and received a guitar education I would have never enjoyed had I not been fortunate to visit these great shops and talk to men like Walter Carter and Rudy Pensa. I played guitars from all the major makers and a many from custom builders. New ones, priceless vintage models, until I found the (to me) the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played, and acquired it.

It's the only one I'll ever own, because it does all the things your post said, was required.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Correct in all areas!

And I will add that it requires dedication to the belief that "one" exists, and commitment to continue the search until it's found...
C'mon. ONE doesn't exist. That doesn't mean one can't, or shouldn't, be happy with one. Marriage is a great example. There isn't a "one" for everyone. There are many and you need only find one that you are compatible with and will be happy with for decades. Most people meet someone in close proximity to where they are and marry. Most don't order samples in from all over the country and return the one's not chosen. .... Most don't.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
C'mon. ONE doesn't exist. That doesn't mean one can't, or shouldn't, be happy with one. Marriage is a great example. There isn't a "one" for everyone. There are many and you need only find one that you are compatible with and will be happy with for decades. Most people meet someone in close proximity to where they are and marry. Most don't order samples in from all over the country and return the one's not chosen. .... Most don't.
I'm with you on this. You just need to find someone you can work with. Is my wife perfect? No. Am I perfect? Hell No. But we meet in the middle and both take on board the points of view and criticisms of the other and work to be better and that's all you need.

Is my guitar "the one"? Not likely; I ordered it off the internet. But it is a great guitar and I know full well it'll be me holding it back for the rest of my life, not the other way around, so it's good enough. Now, that's my point of view, and I'm an OK, but not great player. If I were really good maybe it would start to hold be back, who knows. I've just got more important problems that 'which guitar' when it comes to my playing

Last edited by RalphH; 01-24-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Evidently I wasn't clear enough when I suggested there was nothing wrong if someone thought there wasn't a "one". I would ask you and others who may feel that way, to not decide for me if I accomplished the quest by saying "C'mon, The One doesn't exists." As if I don't know and I'm fooling myself.

I'm surprised you personally would liken finding a lifetime guitar to a lifetime mate.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Evidently I wasn't clear enough when I suggested there was nothing wrong if someone thought there wasn't a "one". I would ask you and others who may feel that way, to not decide for me if I accomplished the quest by saying "C'mon, The One doesn't exists." As if I don't know and I'm fooling myself.

I'm surprised you personally would liken finding a lifetime guitar to a lifetime mate.
I guess how you define "the one" is important. If you mean that there is literally one guitar out there for you, I still am not going to say you're wrong, but I certainly hope you are; there are about 1.5 million guitars sold every year in the US alone. Seems like the odds of finding "the one" are astronomically low if there really is only one out there. That doesn't invalidate you having found it - the odds of winning the lottery in the UK are nearly 10 times worse than that (about 14m:1 actually) and yet someone wins it almost every week.

If you mean you can find a guitar that speaks to you more than any other after a lifetime of searching then yeah, I can absolutely buy that; the more guitars you listen to and play and own, the more refined your requirements become. I think it's hard to really know though until you've had a guitar for years - perhaps even a decade whether it truly is "the one". I feel that way right now about my Hummingbird, but I'm not going to declare it "it" until the "honeymoon" is well and truly over. What I do know is that - for me - it is a so much better fit than anything else I've ever heard that it could be but I've not played many other guitars in its price bracket. Maybe it sounds near-identical to every other customshop hummingbird (quite likely) and any one could be "the one"...or I even got the worst one and am blissfully unaware that there are better out there! But my ignorance has no bearing on your experience.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-24-2020 at 04:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gas, lowden