The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Default WCIF - Backing Tracks for Practice Rhythm?

Seems like I see hundreds of tracks for practicing soloing, esp for electric, but I'd like some for practicing playing backup, something with acoustic melody so I can practice putting the chord progression behind it? Is this as rare as it seems, or am I just missing something obvious?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Interesting observation. I think you might need to change your search phrases a bit.

I happened upon a backing track that was not a SONG but a chord pattern changes track. A jazzy 2-5-1 progression over a LOT of keys The chords aren't hard to play, but not ones I can hit without thinking about it, AND, it gets my ear in tune with what a very common progression sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDnnBov8dg4

I found it in side bar of YouTube. So, I'm thinking that you need to practice with "chord progression back track"

Here is a few I found, doing just that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU7jHjJ79_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozUZBCSfl9c

Yeah, I'm sure a person should be soloing over parts of these, but they can also work with just chord changes. Especially if you are working on new chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoGjUTHX0p0
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

Last edited by JohnW63; 07-16-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Yep, loads of YouTube backing tracks designed for rhythm/chord changes and lead.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 PM

Some of these will work, thanks, but some of them are still really the rhythm part when I'm looking for the melody/lead/solo so I can add the rhythm. I did discover Wikiloops, though. Wow! Super cool site, and I found some tracks or "templates" over there by using their search to exclude guitars and look for tracks with percussion and melody instruments. It's given me the idea to look for people playing melody and try to play along. May have to make my own loops.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Last edited by SunnyDee; 07-17-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Software called Band in A Box (BIAB) can do that. It'll generate or play "lead" parts either to chord progressions you enter in or to songs it supplies. Another nice thing is that I'll show you the chord progressions sort of like a chord chart on the computer screen so it can help visually teach you the changes.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I would suggest getting a loop pedal. You can lay down whatever chord progressions you enjoy and then play leads over top of them. It's a ton of fun to fool around with a looper, I've spent many an hour creating loops and coming up with patterns that I find pleasing (at least to me) to 'solo' over them. You can typically find a basic looper used for not too much money. I have an old Jam Man that I still break out to put some extra fun into practicing.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM

some backing tracks website (like this one https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/) offers plenty variations of tracks, including some with vocals, solo etc...

You might find what you need there.

Another option is to use some guitar pro file and mute the rythm guitar but the midi sound style is not very nice.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:41 PM

I always record my own backing tracks. Seems much easier than trying to hunt something down on the internet that doesn't cost money, requires a subscription, sounds terrible, is in the wrong tempo or the wrong key, etc.

I use a JamMan looping pedal, plug my acoustic into my amp and play. I store the backing tracks in the looper's memory and log them by number in a blank journal. That way, I can find a certain track quickly and adjust the playback speed on the looper. As my practice progresses, I can play it back faster and faster. That setup works pretty swell.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM

These are all really great suggestions, guys. Thank you!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I always record my own backing tracks. Seems much easier than trying to hunt something down on the internet that doesn't cost money, requires a subscription, sounds terrible, is in the wrong tempo or the wrong key, etc.

I use a JamMan looping pedal, plug my acoustic into my amp and play. I store the backing tracks in the looper's memory and log them by number in a blank journal. That way, I can find a certain track quickly and adjust the playback speed on the looper. As my practice progresses, I can play it back faster and faster. That setup works pretty swell.
That's an excellent approach but... I never had any trouble finding any free,
well-recorded, no subscription required, in any key, any tempo, any genre' backing tracks on You Tube. In fact there are more than you could ever want or need.

Anyway folks...
I thought the OP said he wanted soloing and riff tracks to play rhythm alongside, not rhythm backing tracks to solo with.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-17-2018, 05:24 PM

If you have a DAW you can create your own using MIDI.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 PM

To learn rhythm, I just played along with records, then tapes, then CDs, and now the full song on YouTube.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 AM

+1 on Band In A Box software. I've been using it for years. I'm now on the 2018 Biab for Mac Ultrapack which costs $469 for a first time buyer.

Over the years I've upgraded so I didn't bear the cost all in one go.

I also use Logic Pro X to create backing tracks.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-18-2018, 04:15 AM

If you want traditional fiddle tunes, you can try Mandolessons.com. They have fast and slow recordings online of common fiddle tunes with guitar and mandolin. Mandolin generally plays the melody and they will have tracks minus guitar for playalong. You can download tracks and sheet music from the site.

http://www.mandolessons.com
Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 AM

These are giving me lots of places to look, thank you. I've been playing for a couple of years and gotten to intermediate level by myself, but never tried playing with anyone else. What seems to be working just to get started is finding people teaching simple fingerpicking melodies, ignore what they are teaching and play rhythm alongside, so these are giving me lots of places to look as that gets really easy in the next couple days and I'm checking them all out as you suggest them. HHP, the mandolin one is great fun, because I have a friend who's taking up mandolin and I'm trying to convince her to find time to get together, so I'll be ready! I'd never looked at Band in a box, but looks intriguing. Thanks again.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Last edited by SunnyDee; 07-18-2018 at 07:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion