The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Noledog, - Thanks for watching the show! Sure, you can call me Gary. LOL

Somewhere along the way I thought; if my OM's are not getting the love, I should keep the more 'Premium" OM and let the other one go. So it sort of made sense to keep the Collings OM1A.

The OMC-18E was not quite rocking my world as much as the Collings has. But a large part of that rationale is I've owned the OM1A a lot longer. This Collings OM1A has an Aid Top and it delivers punch from an OM that gives more volume than a Sitka topped OM. ...If more volume is called for? Thing is, I don't normally play that aggressively so I am realizing this is a rather moot point. My particular OM1A is one of the more special Collings OM1A's I've ever heard or played.

BUT!!! (This just in) I just put on fresh, identical Martin SP Lifespan PB strings on both guitars. (Collings OM1A and the Martin OMC-18e) Guess what? The gap is narrow and I prefer the Martin Voice. Man, I LOVE the Martin voice! (Can I get an Amen from the audience?) LOL

Another bonus is my Martin OMC-18E is cutaway, and I use the access. So I am about to make a very different decision.

I can sell the Collings OM1A for a lot more $$ than the Martin and it will move faster. I really don't need two Mahogany OM's)

So, MartinGitDave for the WIN!You have good ears sir! The OMC-18E is a very musical instrument and it plays effortlessly while offering me a cutaway.

Stay tune for our next episode called "Still on the Fence?"
Hooooold the phone a minute. I don't know why, but I was under the impression that the Outlaw was ROSEWOOD!!!! Well, color me informed!

Now knowing that the Outlaw is mahogany, I would have a hard time keeping the D-18. Gary, you seem like you appreciate some fine wood and fine guitars. Knowing that, while the D-18 might be a really nice specimen, I personally think the Outlaw is the better guitar. Sell the D-18 and get a D-41. Yeah, that makes the decision easier for me.

Back to my previous point, you have a video comparing the Outlaw to the D-18. I stand by my opinion that for whatever reason, you and I are "pitters." We pit expensive guitars against each other to determine a victor and use that as justification to sell and buy something else. The mental anguish we put ourselves through is comical, yet a real thing.

So for me, the decision is simple. Sell one of the mahogany dreads and replace it with a rosewood. Yes, that is a much more clear picture for me now! I can now rest easy!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Martin Outlaw 17 (Clips) - Should I add 2018 D-41?

We now interrupt this program for a special PSA:

I don’t envy your decision. Party, because I just made a very similar difficult decision. It’s easy to get caught up with GAS when you want to play or acquire something new. But, your ears and hands do the “talking” when it comes to using these guitars. For instance, I had two high quality guitars recently that I was just not playing. Someone recently called it an “embarrassment of riches”. That is just simply a perfect description.

I purchased a beautiful Taylor 12 string that (on paper) was a dream guitar. It was gorgeous with all the right features and played like a dream. Unfortunately, I was not reaching for it. I was forcing myself to play it because it didn’t have the sound. I wanted my Martin D12-28 back. That guitar is gone, so I got the next best thing... The new HD12-28. They made the neck a little slimmer and it fits my hands like a dream. I already knew the tone fit my ears like a dream. So, while not as fancy to the eye at the Taylor, it’s home and I’m playing the snot out of it.

I also had a beautiful Martin dreadnought that I let go of this weekend. It was not getting played. I had two others that better fit my needs. I was coming up with excuses to keep it. But, I just don’t need that many guitars. Having too many guitars is more worrisome to me than too few guitars. I end up wasting valuable time comparing the nuances of each guitar wondering which is a keeper and which is not. Truthfully, they’re all great! I don’t usually buy duds in the first place.

I didn’t come from money. So, even now that I have some, I still feel guilty having stuff that doesn’t get used frequently.

I’ll never be a collector.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-10-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Having too many guitars is more worrisome to me than too few guitars. I didn’t come from money. So, now that I have some, I still feel guilty having stuff that doesn’t get used frequently.

This post sums up my feelings perfectly. Well said! I have some wonderful guitars, but I just can't in good faith own more than a few great ones at a time. If I want something new and fancy, I can't just go out and buy it. I have a family and mouths to feed, and it just makes me feel incredibly selfish when I ain't buying my wife and kid something of equal value. The "guitar carousel" keeps things fair and equal.

I owned 25 guitars at one point. I will not go back there. One day if I have enough money to buy jewelry for the wife AND guitars, then I can justify buying guitars without selling one first.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
This post sums up my feelings perfectly. Well said! I have some wonderful guitars, but I just can't in good faith own more than a few great ones at a time. If I want something new and fancy, I can't just go out and buy it. I have a family and mouths to feed, and it just makes me feel incredibly selfish when I ain't buying my wife and kid something of equal value. The "guitar carousel" keeps things fair and equal.

I owned 25 guitars at one point. I will not go back there. One day if I have enough money to buy jewelry for the wife AND guitars, then I can justify buying guitars without selling one first.

That’s all true. The other angle is that our families are usually most interested in our most valuable commodity: time. Too many guitars is a time suck. I used to play a lot of golf. I can’t play much anymore. It’s a time suck. Collecting guitars is more time consuming than golf.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
That’s all true. The other angle is that our families are usually most interested in our most valuable commodity: time. Too many guitars is a time suck. I used to play a lot of golf. I can’t play much anymore. It’s a time suck. Collecting guitars is more time consuming than golf.
I played golf for 2 years and yes, it was certainly a time suck. I gave it up quickly because I felt so bad going on weekends and golfing. It is simply now a "family" thing and me and my brother in law go with the girls want to get out and have a girls day.

Playing guitar is becoming a family event however because my daughter is learning to play violin, and my brother in law is learning to play guitar. It's actually pretty cool.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I played golf for 2 years and yes, it was certainly a time suck. I gave it up quickly because I felt so bad going on weekends and golfing. It is simply now a "family" thing and me and my brother in law go with the girls want to get out and have a girls day.

Playing guitar is becoming a family event however because my daughter is learning to play violin, and my brother in law is learning to play guitar. It's actually pretty cool.

Music is family related for me too. Unfortunately, the guitar shopping and selling is not music, it’s just time consuming and unproductive for me.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Music is family related for me too. Unfortunately, the guitar shopping and selling is not music, it’s just time consuming and unproductive for me.
Ohhhh yes I see what you mean now. Yes, my time zoned out in youtube on the couch is very annoying to my wife....
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gas is a fickle mistress. She steals your heart and leaves you confused with less in your wallet. Gas will never be understood, because it is just fulfilling urges and desires. Once the itch is scratched, we are left picking up the pieces and move to the next itch.
+1...The above words of wisdom from our host Shades should be a banner at the top of the AGF home page! ...more bacon please
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

This dialogue is one of the more mindful and cool conversations I've seen in a single thread in a long time. You guys rock!

I laughed at loud at Shades categorization; "GAS is a fickle Mistress!" What a GREAT line. I may revise that and use it in song. (I'll share writing credit!) Maybe we can buy a Uke with the collective royalties?

Lot's of wisdom and mindfulness here as things have been weighed such as:

1. 'Want' (AKA: GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome) versus 'need'
2. Balancing priorities like family
3. Consideration of how much the instrument is a tool versus personal pleasure toy
4. Awareness that some do still have the luxury to compile a variety of instruments regardless of all these things.

While I do play professionally on a weekly basis, I have more than I need. Yet I try to not create too many redundancies.
For instance: Owing two Mahogany OM's, both Pro caliber guitars where neither get played as much as my dreads is one-too-many. So its natural to be a "Pitter" as Shades coined the phrase.

Regarding the Outlaw versus my D-18. Yes both are Hog dreads, but to my ears and in my hands, they are VERY different. The D-18 I have is special is really my first grab gig instrument. The Baggs Anthem PU works ideally in it and is super easy to dial in and is more feedback resistant than the K&K in the Outlaw. The Outlaw is for all intents and purposes an "Authentic" with moden neck, truss rod, and drop in saddle. It is incredibly special. But for all the ways it is amazing, the D-18 goes toe-to-toe and for some music the D-18 sounds more 'correct' and organic. So neither are options to go anywhere.

My friend ChasingChet has shared some sound clips of his new 2018 D41 and it sounds incredible with a classic Martin voice that is decidedly different from what I can create with the D-18 or Outlaw. So I think it might offer a unique voice. (Like Shades can certainly attest his Les Paul is special and unique in ways his PRS cannot replicate)

And now Back to our Show! Shades, What would you like to share with the viewing audience today?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
We now interrupt this program for a special PSA:

I don’t envy your decision. Party, because I just made a very similar difficult decision. It’s easy to get caught up with GAS when you want to play or acquire something new. But, your ears and hands do the “talking” when it comes to using these guitars. For instance, I had two high quality guitars recently that I was just not playing. Someone recently called it an “embarrassment of riches”. That is just simply a perfect description.

I purchased a beautiful Taylor 12 string that (on paper) was a dream guitar. It was gorgeous with all the right features and played like a dream. Unfortunately, I was not reaching for it. I was forcing myself to play it because it didn’t have the sound. I wanted my Martin D12-28 back. That guitar is gone, so I got the next best thing... The new HD12-28. They made the neck a little slimmer and it fits my hands like a dream. I already knew the tone fit my ears like a dream. So, while not as fancy to the eye at the Taylor, it’s home and I’m playing the snot out of it.

I also had a beautiful Martin dreadnought that I let go of this weekend. It was not getting played. I had two others that better fit my needs. I was coming up with excuses to keep it. But, I just don’t need that many guitars. Having too many guitars is more worrisome to me than too few guitars. I end up wasting valuable time comparing the nuances of each guitar wondering which is a keeper and which is not. Truthfully, they’re all great! I don’t usually buy duds in the first place.

I didn’t come from money. So, even now that I have some, I still feel guilty having stuff that doesn’t get used frequently.

Yep...exactly! And it’s why I’m down from having as many as seven guitars to “only” two. A hog and a rosewood dread. Both iconic models from iconic makers. And both likely lifers. GAS be gone. Time to concentrate on playing more GASing less.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 07-10-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Should I add 2018 D-41?

Yes, you should add a D-41. And you and your Outlaw sound very nice together.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
This dialogue is one of the more mindful and cool conversations I've seen in a single thread in a long time. You guys rock!

I laughed at loud at Shades categorization; "GAS is a fickle Mistress!" What a GREAT line. I may revise that and use it in song. (I'll share writing credit!) Maybe we can buy a Uke with the collective royalties?

Lot's of wisdom and mindfulness here as things have been weighed such as:

1. 'Want' (AKA: GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome) versus 'need'
2. Balancing priorities like family
3. Consideration of how much the instrument is a tool versus personal pleasure toy
4. Awareness that some do still have the luxury to compile a variety of instruments regardless of all these things.

While I do play professionally on a weekly basis, I have more than I need. Yet I try to not create too many redundancies.
For instance: Owing two Mahogany OM's, both Pro caliber guitars where neither get played as much as my dreads is one-too-many. So its natural to be a "Pitter" as Shades coined the phrase.

Regarding the Outlaw versus my D-18. Yes both are Hog dreads, but to my ears and in my hands, they are VERY different. The D-18 I have is special is really my first grab gig instrument. The Baggs Anthem PU works ideally in it and is super easy to dial in and is more feedback resistant than the K&K in the Outlaw. The Outlaw is for all intents and purposes an "Authentic" with moden neck, truss rod, and drop in saddle. It is incredibly special. But for all the ways it is amazing, the D-18 goes toe-to-toe and for some music the D-18 sounds more 'correct' and organic. So neither are options to go anywhere.

My friend ChasingChet has shared some sound clips of his new 2018 D41 and it sounds incredible with a classic Martin voice that is decidedly different from what I can create with the D-18 or Outlaw. So I think it might offer a unique voice. (Like Shades can certainly attest his Les Paul is special and unique in ways his PRS cannot replicate)

And now Back to our Show! Shades, What would you like to share with the viewing audience today?
Well, I'd like to add that I am seriously considering returning the Les Paul I bought to the store. I like it, but I "pitted" (see what I did there?) the LP and my PRS against each other last night and the PRS wiped the floor with the LP. To the credit of my PRS, it is a special one. It is the first year of the 2 piece bridge, and it has 57/08 pickups which are some of my favorite pickups. It sounds more vintage and more bluesy than the LP, stays in tune infinitely better, and it sounds meaner and tighter. No contest. I went through 5 PRS Singlecuts to find one I liked. They all sound incredibly different based on the year and specs, but this one is special. I've had it since 2013, so that is saying something for me!

However, having said that I can say that the LP wins in one area....VIBE. The LP is a lot like my J-45 where I can honestly say that it isn't the best sounding guitar on the planet, but it is SOOOO much fun to play. So, in a sense, where the PRS is a sweet BMW, the Les Paul is a Mustang with the top down.

Oh, and I'll add that my 000-28 ultimately did not sell for reasons I won't get into here. It appears as though I'm stuck with that guitar for now (albeit, would anyone be disappointed to be "stuck" with a super model???). I really deep down do love the guitar, and there is a minor cosmetic flaw with the guitar that I am either going to have to get fixed, or sell the guitar less than I had planned. I can't say I am sad to see her stay!!!

So, other than figuring out what to do about the Les Paul, my stable seems to be pretty solid at the moment. The only thing I want to add is a good Rosewood Martin Dreadnought. If I take the LP back, I'll probably order a D-35 in it's place.

Stay tuned...
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...exactly! And it’s why I’m down from having as many as seven guitars to “only” two. A hog and a rosewood dread. Both iconic models from iconic makers. And both likely lifers. GAS be gone. Time to concentrate on playing more GASing less.
Roy, your living room is the Angel's playground my friend!

Shades: Your "Pitting" makes sense. I too value comparison so I can decide if one instrument might become an expensive room or closet ornament living in its case (nice as it may be standing on its own)

A new rule that is largely coming into play even though I own multiple instruments is this; "If it isn't being used or getting played, it is expendable."

I am not sure yet how much a D-41 would get used, but that classic, incredible Martin 'voice' is not the same as what I have in my stable currently. That doesn't mean I 'need' it, but it might see significant playing time. (especially after hearing ChasingChets recordings that he shared with me privately) What a sound!

If and when the time comes to make a purchase, I will do so from a shop that offers a return. There is simply not a single 2018 D-41 or D-42 in town locally for me to try.

I support Shades in checking into a D-35. I have had the privilege of playing a couple 2018 D-35's recently and they are great too. (Different from what I expect I might hear from a D-41) I think the D-35's might have a stronger predominant bass note emphasis where the D-41 is likely more balanced.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Roy, your living room is the Angel's playground my friend!

Shades: Your "Pitting" makes sense. I too value comparison so I can decide if one instrument might become an expensive room or closet ornament living in its case (nice as it may be standing on its own)

A new rule that is largely coming into play even though I own multiple instruments is this; "If it isn't being used or getting played, it is expendable."

I am not sure yet how much a D-41 would get used, but that classic, incredible Martin 'voice' is not the same as what I have in my stable currently. That doesn't mean I 'need' it, but it might see significant playing time. (especially after hearing ChasingChets recordings that he shared with me privately) What a sound!

If and when the time comes to make a purchase, I will do so from a shop that offers a return. There is simply not a single 2018 D-41 or D-42 in town locally for me to try.

I support Shades in checking into a D-35. I have had the privilege of playing a couple 2018 D-35's recently and they are great too. (Different from what I expect I might hear from a D-41) I think the D-35's might have a stronger predominant bass note emphasis where the D-41 is likely more balanced.
The older I get, the more emphasis I'm putting into the vibe a guitar gives me. The Taylor 814ce was the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I LOVED the sound, but there was no urge to play it...no drive...no vibe. It was just a total admiration of the sound, but no real drive to pick the thing up and play music. The J-45 has vibe, and my Les Paul has vibe. My 000-28 has vibe, but my PRS SC245 does not have vibe. My Strat has vibe, but it is like an old friend where I'm really intimate with everything about it, but I just don't feel like I have to pick it up unless I need to. There is an understanding with me and my Strat....she ain't going anywhere, and I ain't going anywhere.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Uh, ....So, ....I switched gears and advertised my Collings OM1A. It sold in one day. Yes that's right. Uh ....oooooohhhh.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion