The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Fishman tonedeq

Anyone have any experience with this item? I was wondering if the circuitry is similar to what is supplied in their amps.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Just played my first gig last weekend with one. I got compliments on how it sounded from my partner. The compression helps overall but really makes boosted lead lines pop through the mix. A bit of reverb and a tiny amount of chorus fatten the tone nicely. I am using a Mi-Si Trio (Baggs Element with a supercapacitor based rechargeable preamp) piezo UST and I think it really works well in this application. I've got a tuner and volume control in the guitar so I don't consider a mute or tuner an important feature (and if I did I've yet to find a multipurpose pedal that matches a Polytune pedal or my D'Addario soundhole tuner). I marked my settings with Mark-It dots since I want to be able to quickly look down and know it is set correctly. Here are my settings:

It is also fairly light weight unlike the Fishman Aura pedals. The top panel is metal but the back and sides are plastic. It seems plenty tough but also light enough to safely go in a guitar gig bag pocket.

The battery life or the battery light don't work to spec. When the battery light came on (1 hour to go) I removed the battery and later tested it with ZTS pulse load digital battery tester which reported 40% battery life remaining. If 100% of an alkaline battery is 12 hours, then 40% should still be nearly 5 hours... I suppose best to use an external power supply. It takes the standard negative tip 9v supply.

I'm not much of a fan of notch filters (for me either ineffective or not transparent) or sweepable mid tone control. That might matter to others. The bass cut and phase inversion are the important feedback controls in my experience.

I think a ToneDEQ and a powered PA speaker make a much better acoustic guitar amp than any dedicated acoustic amp I've tried.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-14-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Really good tones from the analog effects, less versatile but just as nice as the old AFX pedals. I would have bought one if it wasn't for the fact that you can't use reverb and delay at the same time. I'm still wondering why they set it up that way.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 AM

Thank you both. Mark-it dots are a great idea.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Really good tones from the analog effects, less versatile but just as nice as the old AFX pedals. I would have bought one if it wasn't for the fact that you can't use reverb and delay at the same time. I'm still wondering why they set i.t up that way
That is the sole reason I haven't bought one.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Just played my first gig last weekend with one. I got compliments on how it sounded from my partner. The compression helps overall but really makes boosted lead lines pop through the mix. A bit of reverb and a tiny amount of chorus fatten the tone nicely. I am using a Mi-Si Trio (Baggs Element with a supercapacitor based rechargeable preamp) piezo UST and I think it really works well in this application. I've got a tuner and volume control in the guitar so I don't consider a mute or tuner an important feature (and if I did I've yet to find a multipurpose pedal that matches a Polytune pedal or my D'Addario soundhole tuner). I marked my settings with Mark-It dots since I want to be able to quickly look down and know it is set correctly. Here are my settings:

It is also fairly light weight unlike the Fishman Aura pedals. The top panel is metal but the back and sides are plastic. It seems plenty tough but also light enough to safely go in a gig bag pocket.

The battery life or the battery light don't work to spec. When the battery light came on (1 hour to go) I removed the battery and later tested it with ZTS pulse load digital battery tester which reported 40% battery life remaining. If 100% of an alkaline battery is 12 hours, then 40% should still be nearly 5 hours... I suppose best to use an external power supply. It takes the standard negative tip 9v supply.

I'm not much of a fan of notch filters (for me either ineffective or not transparent) or sweepable mid tone control. That might matter to others. The bass cut and phase inversion are the important feedback controls in my experience.

I think a ToneDEQ and a powered PA speaker make a much better acoustic guitar amp than any dedicated acoustic amp I've tried.
FWIW....it looks cool, too.....I'm diggin' that wood grain.....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 AM

What's the verdict on this unit..
Anyone using or considering one of these ?

I found one used locally at a decent price ..
thinking about trying it out.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Bumping..
Anyone ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
What's the verdict on this unit..
Anyone using or considering one of these ?

I found one used locally at a decent price ..
thinking about trying it out.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM

File under, "Thank you for that rousing round of indifference".
Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM

I’ve read some reviews and according to them you cannot use chorus and Reverb at the same time. You can use the BOSS CE-5 Chorus plus the BOSS RV-6 and get more functionality.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I’ve read some reviews and according to them you cannot use chorus and Reverb at the same time. You can use the BOSS CE-5 Chorus plus the BOSS RV-6 and get more functionality.
I'm pretty sure you use Reverb and Chorus together..

It's the Reverb and Delay that cannot use simulantously ..
Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 AM

I ordered one yesterday and will have it early next week. The one time I got to play one (tonedeq) I really enjoyed it. Strange that you can't use reverb and delay simultaneously, that is true. But overall I thought the tone was very good, and paired with a Fishman mini (and into the pa), good sound
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 AM

I recently put together this pedal-set to go with my Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85 combo amp:

I'm playing K&K pup'd guitars so I went with the Polytune3 as a buffer as well as a mute/tuner. I don't use a lot of f/x so the ToneDEQ is perfect for me. The tone controls on the ToneDEQ are OK but limited so I pulled out my old Fishman Dual Parametric DI so I have a couple of sweepable bands available, as well.

As I said, I've only just begun to use this pedal-set. FYI - the settings shown are NOT settings I'm using, its just what was there when I took the photo. :-)

This is obviously only for the guitar channel. For vocals I rely on a Joe Meek MQ3 & a bit of onboard reverb from the G-B Shen 85.

So far, I've been very pleased with the sound quality of my guitars through this f/x chain. Clear guitar with the clean f/x when I'm using them.

I bought the ToneDEQ for the f/x but I'm also liking the Compression & Boost features, too. Just a solid, single unit that gives me a lot of the things I was looking for without an array of boxes cluttering the floor in front of me. Fishman quality is evident with this muli-f/x pedal, too.

Frank
Old 07-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Frank that looks great. I get my tonedeq Monday. Yes, other pedals certainly check more boxes in terms of features, but I feel Fishman does acoustic right, so looking forward to getting to try it at home
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
. . . I feel Fishman does acoustic right . . .
So do I. That's why I'm a bit surprised the ToneDEQ doesn't get a little more "love" around here.

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification