The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Default Hardshell case - found!

I got my Taylor 114ce-N last year, and over the winter found that the in-case humidifiers dried out much faster than the ones in my hardshell guitar cases, so wanted to get a case for it. Started looking in late winter, looking for a used case, as this guitar will rarely be gigged.
Harder than you think - tried out some used cases at a guy's house, neither fit. A small music store said 'come on by, I'm sure I've got one that will fit' - nope. I checked the guitar in a standard dreadnought case, and it fit, but with a finger-width space on the upper bout and overall body length, so I knew I could live with that size case
Since humidification season has been over for a while, I wasn't looking hard, just checking CL ads every week or so. Then I got a GC notice for a 25% or 15% off sale on 'certain items', checked their website, selected a $80 case, and sure enough the 255 worked for a sale price of $60.
Case is quite nicely made, with contrasting stitching, key lock - better than the $80 case I got at a GC store several years ago from their 'in stock' selection.
So there is a finger-width of space on the upper bout, and body length, but exactly what I needed for just a bit more than I wanted to pay for a used case.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM

When the guitar is a little undersized for the case, I go to Walmart and buy a couple of bath hand towels in a color that matches the case interior. I then fold them and slide them into that 1 inch space around the top and bottom bout. Looks decent, avoids case rattle, and gives you something to wipe the guitar or your hands with when playing.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWoody View Post
When the guitar is a little undersized for the case, I go to Walmart and buy a couple of bath hand towels in a color that matches the case interior. I then fold them and slide them into that 1 inch space around the top and bottom bout. Looks decent, avoids case rattle, and gives you something to wipe the guitar or your hands with when playing.
It's less than 1/2', but I would be concerned about the dye on Walmart stuff coming off on the guitar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
It's less than 1/2', but I would be concerned about the dye on Walmart stuff coming off on the guitar.
I've found if I fill the sink with water and add a good "glug" or two of vinegar, then soak the towel for about an hour, it seems to "set" the color and it can be laundered in cold water, dried normally and the color will not come off the towel and onto the guitar. (Works for brightly colored clothing too!)

Best,
PJ
Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You could always try Target. LOL! Seriously, I never had that happen in all the time I have done it. Doesn't mean it couldn't, I just haven't experienced it. YMMV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion