The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Turbosound Inspire ip300

A friend who plays similar gigs told me last night that he bought a pair of the new ip300s. He had an ip2000 but lately used his qsc speakers most often. He is really digging the ip300s alone for solo or two for his duo. He tried the Bose S1 and described it to me as loud enough for our living rooms, but not for the gigs we play. He also said the ip300 is really good and he's leaving his QSCs at home. I've been dragging my Bose L1M2 around lately because my JBL Eon One was really overtaxed by my gigs. While this one doesn't have a subwoofer, I'm interested to see how well it works for my solo and duo (one guitar and two vocals) gigs. I'll need to use a small mixer for my duo gigs, but I do already.

Anyone try one of these yet?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM

I guess I'll report when it arrives. Hoping to use it for my gig this Friday.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 PM

I have been looking at this speaker as well. Like you, I have been doing a duo with guitar and two vocals.

Looking forward to your updates once you get it.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 PM

This is the same speaker configuration as the Mackie Reach, which I loved. I expect it to sound like a good 8” 2 way cabinet. I suspect you’ll need a mixer. But these should be good flat response systems, on paper.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This is the same speaker configuration as the Mackie Reach, which I loved. I expect it to sound like a good 8” 2 way cabinet. I suspect you’ll need a mixer. But these should be good flat response systems, on paper.
I'm hoping it's louder. Two 6.5" woofers should give me sufficient bass. I hope.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 PM

I really like my Mackie Reach a lot, but you have to work around that stupid “Wide Z” preamp which is just terrible. The really simple solution I’ve found is to us a Samson MDA1 active directbox with the built in 15db pad engaged. That gives you about 15db of extra gain over using a guitar directly (30db mic preamp minus the 15db pad). With the input gain corrected, the Reach is loud enough for most duo type gigs but just barely. I do really like the separate side monitors.

I do hope that that the ip300 goes a bit louder than the Reach. The way I would use it would be to augment the sound from my Elite Acoustics D6-8. In that case I would mix and monitor from the D6-8 and use the ip300 for audience coverage.

Is there any sort of cover or padded carrying bag for the ip300? I’ve looked but not found any.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really like my Mackie Reach a lot, but you have to work around that stupid “Wide Z” preamp which is just terrible. The really simple solution I’ve found is to us a Samson MDA1 active directbox with the built in 15db pad engaged. That gives you about 15db of extra gain over using a guitar directly (30db mic preamp minus the 15db pad). With the input gain corrected, the Reach is loud enough for most duo type gigs but just barely. I do really like the separate side monitors.

I do hope that that the ip300 goes a bit louder than the Reach. The way I would use it would be to augment the sound from my Elite Acoustics D6-8. In that case I would mix and monitor from the D6-8 and use the ip300 for audience coverage.

Is there any sort of cover or padded carrying bag for the ip300? I’ve looked but not found any.

I agree 100%. But I don’t think the new TurboSound is going to be much louder based on a quick review of the specs.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Received the ip300 yesterday. It's going back, but it's not bad.

I would really miss the subwoofer of my Eon One or Bose. Even with an ipad playing music through it and the bass turned up, there's not a great deal of low end. Fine for acoustic guitar and vocal if you're going for a natural sound.

It really isn't very loud. Not compared to the JBL or Bose L1M2 (I wouldn't expect it to compete with the Bose). But even my Alto 110 (old one) is louder. It would take at least two of the ip300s to cover my small gigs

At higher volumes I had a lot of issues with feedback. Very unlike my JBL or Bose.

It would make a good supplemental speaker to my JBL, but I already have powered speakers for that purpose.

I did go see my friend's duo and they were using a pair of ip300s on sticks. They were placed behind them and way off to the sides to cover an outdoor patio. Two guitars and two vocals. They sounded pretty good, but lacked some oomph.

Ultimately I guess I'm good with the gear I already have. I'll take the JBL tonight and try turning down the low end on the guitar to see if that helps me keep it from limiting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification