The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM

If you get the chance to try a used 00-18V be sure to play it. I own one and it's a keeper. I owned a CEO-7 and liked it but eventually sold it since the Adi top was very tight-unlike my friend's that had a nice compliant feel. The 00-18V has a V neck like the CEO-7 plus the same wider spacing at the bridge. The tone is sweeter but it doesn't have the headroom that the Adi top provides on the CEO.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:16 AM

Went to the shop yesterday and tried the CEO7. OMG. What a guitar. I came prepared to listen to all the things you good people mentioned and it was all right there in this supreme beauty. Especially loved the punchy base tones, projection, and crystalline, bell-like articulation of each note. Love that adi top and as a fingerstyle player, I can appreciate the slightly wider distance between strings as you move up the neck. As good a guitar as I've had the good fortune to try my hand at. The shop is going to call me when the next OO18 comes in and I'll listen carefully, of course, but also compare the necks. Then I'll decide. I want to thank you fine folks for your really helpful comments.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
Went to the shop yesterday and tried the CEO7. OMG. What a guitar. I came prepared to listen to all the things you good people mentioned and it was all right there in this supreme beauty. Especially loved the punchy base tones, projection, and crystalline, bell-like articulation of each note. Love that adi top and as a fingerstyle player, I can appreciate the slightly wider distance between strings as you move up the neck. As good a guitar as I've had the good fortune to try my hand at. The shop is going to call me when the next OO18 comes in and I'll listen carefully, of course, but also compare the necks. Then I'll decide. I want to thank you fine folks for your really helpful comments.
Great to hear you're having fun with this process. Enjoy the ride and you can't go wrong with either one. I'll hope to hear about your experience with the 00-18, but then will have to resist the urge to buy one!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:33 PM

Thanks, Lee!
Old 03-14-2024, 11:58 AM

Hey Annie B.
Enjoy the journey and please post more about your experiences and evaluations as you have them. I have been monitoring this thread closely because the 0018 and CEO7 have also been the 2 “ most likely suspects” for my next guitar. I am also contemplating a 00018, but the best versions of the smaller models I have played just seemed more magical somehow. Best of luck in your quest.

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 03-14-2024, 03:32 PM

Between the CEO-7 and the 00-18 it's impossible to make a bad choice unless you really hate the neck on one or the other. I've got a CEO-7 and I love it, but I wouldn't mind having a 00-18 too.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Annie:
Seems you have recieved some great feedback and comparisons from the others in this thread. I also own both a CEO-7 (burst) and a 00-18 (natural).

My CEO-7 is a bit older and played. The 00-18 is a recent acquisition (2022 model). The Adi top has broken in nicely over time. I like the v-neck and also appreciate the lower profile neck of the 00-18. The tones are surprisingly different for such similar guitars. Perhaps the slightly different body shape and woods contribute to that.

I got the 00-18 from a shop that had both the CEO-7 and 00-18 on the wall. This was great since I already owned a CEO.....I compared them both. They were pretty close in the store....but also I was playing Dreads and Claptons and 000s so all over the play. I will say that the CEO-7 in the shop did not have the tone that mine at home has (aged and broken in). I like them both but the 00-18 definitely has more mids and a smoother tone, whereas the CEO is just deeper with more bass. It does break up quicker with strumming.

As others have mentioned the string spacing at the saddle is another noticeable different. I love the CEO for fingerstyle....just more room. I prefer the 00 for strumming and cross-picking. '

So if at all possible I hope you get to try them both side by side and it's making me feel pretty blessed to own both!

Enjoy the process.....and make some music!
Ken
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 03-15-2024, 10:57 AM

Dirk, will do! And let me know what you decide. It's a fun process, I gotta say. Enjoy it yourself!--Annie
Old 03-15-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
Annie:
Seems you have recieved some great feedback and comparisons from the others in this thread. I also own both a CEO-7 (burst) and a 00-18 (natural).
Ken
You devil, you, I wish I owned em both. Gonna compare the necks and tones next week, and your comment reinforces what I have to carefully listen to when I compare. I'm intrigued you prefer the wider string position at the saddle for fingerstyle because that's what I play. Will post what I decide on. Can't imagine having more fun than choosing which of two Martins I'm going to spring for! Happy pickin, Ken..
Old 03-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
You devil, you, I wish I owned em both. Gonna compare the necks and tones next week, and your comment reinforces what I have to carefully listen to when I compare. I'm intrigued you prefer the wider string position at the saddle for fingerstyle because that's what I play. Will post what I decide on. Can't imagine having more fun than choosing which of two Martins I'm going to spring for! Happy pickin, Ken..
Yes, initially I thought that one would win out between these two 00 size beauties, since they are so similar. I have 3 Martin's at the moment. OMJM, CEO-7 and 00-18. OMJM is unique in that it's an OM but narrow nut (1-11/16 nut) and narrower string spacing at saddle. I'd say that I mainly reach for it for strumming and single line stuff. The CEO-7 has normally been my go-to for fingerpicking due to the wider string spacing, but I must say the 00-18 is growing on me and as others have said....it just feels very intimate and comfy....a combination of all the specs and thinner neck profile, etc. I think they both would stay and it would be a hard decision if one had to go. Best of luck with the next test of 00-18!

I should also mention that I have put both through some break in with the Tone-Traveller which does a great job accelerating the break in of the wood.
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 03-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, a few years back I ordered a custom 00-18. It was only custom because I wanted an Ambertone burst and 2.25 spacing at the bridge. I still love it and the few hundred dollars more was well worth it to me. YMMV.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:34 PM

Most people, I think, look at the CEO-7 as a 00 size guitar. But there are differences.

The -7 is almost 1/2" wider than a 00 at the lower bout, making it actually closer to a 000 body size.
The -7 has a body length almost 5/8" longer than a 00 and close to (again) a 000.
These dimensions along with the less chunky neck of the 00-18 contributes to the smaller feel.

The point of mentioning this is that if you prefer a CEO-7 to a 00-18, for example, you may want to then A-B a CEO-7 to a 000-18, or similar.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 03-15-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:48 AM

"These dimensions along with the less chunky neck of the 00-18 contributes to the smaller feel."

Very helpful about sizes, Corndog. Will be interested to get a feel for this when I try the 0018. I will say I've had 2 00 Martins over the years (both stolen) and it is the right size for me, whereas the 000 is too large. (I'm 5'1")
Old 03-16-2024, 09:30 AM

Annie B,

This is pretty much my guitar sans polished headstock:

https://www.guitarhotline.com/martin...uitar-2750437/

Mine is a 2017 & I got it as a retirement present to myself. It's a great playing & sounding guitar &, for me, it's a keeper. :-)

Mark @ Reno's Music is great to work with. Don't know if Indianapolis is anywhere near you but I went there to play oo-18s & he had a bunch of them at that time. Was worth the trip & I came home with the CS 00-18.

Don't know what your budget is but I'd consider a 00-18v, too, if I could find one. I played one side-by-side with my CS 00-18 at a workshop shortly after I bought mine &, while it does have a bit different tone, it was an awesome guitar! Had I gotten a chance to get one before I found my CS 00-18 I could see me getting it instead.

Good luck on your search! Seems like you're on the right track!

Frank
Old 03-16-2024, 12:52 PM

A few years back, I owned a custom shop 00-18, with an Engelmann top. It was an incredibly sweet guitar, could play about anything I attempted.

I sold it because I realized I don't prefer the MLO neck. About that time I toured the Martin factory, and they had the CEO-7 in the Picker's Parlor. I didn't expect much, but was shocked how well it played and sounded. Very impressed. Plus, I very much liked the V-neck.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion