The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM

I have a D1AT non baked and a D1 Baked sitka. I currently have the traditional for sale because I prefer the sleeker neck of the standard. I also prefer a standard drop in saddle for fishman pickup application. Yes I know everyone likes KK mini pickups but for what I do I like the fishman matrix. Back to sound and playability. The baked sitka top gave me what I wanted right out of the gate. Loud, boomy (yes my collings is boomy like a martin), shimmery, articulate and a joy to play. Easy to play. No struggle.

The D1AT is a warmer, stiffer feel hence the traditional more Martin style build. The notes still pop out and response is good but not like the sitka top D1. That's the whole difference between the original standard Collings build and the traditional with adirondack. Eventually that A top will open up and be an even more kick a#@ instrument. Anyway both are great guitars but I prefer the standard modern build and feel. The traditional is like a martin Authentic (only better) If it had the standard neck I would keep it. It's not a bat by any means at all...I just like thinner necks.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 AM

I've only played one Collings, a D1 I believe is what it was. Totally just did nothing for me. The neck was a baseball bat, action was sky high, and the sound was so deep it sounded dull. Feel wise I was put off by the big neck. Thank goodness I didn't like it!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Collings ships their guitars with higher action than some companies (Taylor in particular) probably as it's much simpler and cheaper to
lower action than to raise it (apart from using shims I suppose) (some players like and need higher action). So if you are comparing
"as shipped" action among guitars in the store or if you have not adjusted the action height on your own Collings you may feel the action
is a bit stiff.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Collings ships their guitars with higher action than some companies (Taylor in particular) probably as it's much simpler and cheaper to
lower action than to raise it (apart from using shims I suppose) (some players like and need higher action). So if you are comparing
"as shipped" action among guitars in the store or if you have not adjusted the action height on your own Collings you may feel the action
is a bit stiff.
I do think this is important. I bring every guitar I purchase to Becker & Cumpiano Guitars for a setup. They are real pros, know exactly what I like and as a result have every guitar playing effortlessly when I leave.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
I used to have a Collings D2,, I liked the sound of it, but it always felt
stiff to me.. I play from the first to the 15th fret so i negotiate
a few action changes as i play....
I ended up selling the Collingsd and getting a Taylor 710 ad
which sounds compareable (to my ear, anyway) but it just
felt a little looser, even though i had the Collings for 11 years
it never seemed to open up much and stayed kind of hard to play
up the neck, even thought the action was set reasonably low.
Even now , when i play Collings Dreads, i find the same thing.
anyone else notice this? or is it my age... fingers gettin old?

Rick
Without a proper setup, all bets are off. I have never gotten a guitar, new or used, that didn't need to be dialed in to my playing preferences.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Without a proper setup, all bets are off. I have never gotten a guitar, new or used, that didn't need to be dialed in to my playing preferences.
I also think sitka collings are slinkier to play. I own a few and they feel looser than the adirondack models. The A models are still great at what they do. I've tried a ton of boutique makers and always come back to Collings.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I do think Collings ships their guitar with a little higher action than say Martin and Taylor. So if you just pick up a guitar in the store you will find the Collings requires more fretting pressure. You have to have the action altered to your preferences. I happen to really like the standard neck profile that Collings uses and the accurate intonation they have.
Mm, not sure about that.

Collings set up their guitars to 3/32" bass and 2/32" (sic) treble. They are surprisingly consistent on this which is why I usually had my action raised.

I suspect that Martins would be expected to be a little higher.
I know nothing of Taylors.

I do know that Collings guitars are very well made and the tops are individually thicknessed (Bruce Van Wart) to give the appropriate resonance ... but STILL ... all new guitars need to be "played in/opened up" (same thing), and particularly a dreadnought, designed to be played hard, rather than "tickled"
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Mm, not sure about that.

Collings set up their guitars to 3/32" bass and 2/32" (sic) treble. They are surprisingly consistent on this which is why I usually had my action raised.
They consider that medium action and it works fine for me as is.
Many guitars ship with lower action (to the point where the treble string often easily buzzes out when I play them).

In decimals concerning Collings versus Taylor (GA for example) the factory set clearances at the twelfth fret are:
High E: 0.0625" Collings versus 0.0500" Taylor
Low E: 0.0938" Collings versus 0.0800" Taylor

P.S. The light gauge PB strings shipped with Collings (D'Addario) have slightly more total tension than those (Elixir Nano PB) shipped with Taylor.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-28-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I've only played one Collings, a D1 I believe is what it was. Totally just did nothing for me. The neck was a baseball bat, action was sky high, and the sound was so deep it sounded dull. Feel wise I was put off by the big neck. Thank goodness I didn't like it!!!
Hmm, first time I've ever read anyone commenting that the Collings standard mod-v neck to be a 'baseball bat.' The standard Collings neck is closest to the Martin MLO/PA for reference.

I wonder if the D1 you tried had a VN (Vintage Now) or even a V (Vintage) neck profile, which would also come with wider 2 5/16 or 2 3/8 string spacing?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

As someone who has played and owned several Collings over the years, I have read this thread with great interest.

Collings guitars have an articulate tone and do take some time to open up and play in. But, so do a lot of other guitars, made by other builders. It’s not unique to Collings. However, I do think the precise tone of a Collings may exacerbate this perception when a guitar is new.

I also like Martins and H&Ds - the tone is different than Collings, but I don’t think they necessarily play easier. Again, “exceptions to every rule” still apply.

My easiest playing guitar is an OM1JLA. With a fairly new Adi top, it is already warm, responsive, resonant, easy on the hands. Go figure.

My point is...it is human nature to stereotype and categorize as it makes the world easier to understand. But, it can be a slippery slope. I, too, have been guilty and try to keep my ears open, and preconceived notions at bay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion