The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-05-2022, 02:11 PM

Default TAYLOR GS MINI, some problems

I have bought a second hand GS Mini Rosewood and in addition to a beautiful sound and a nice construction, I have found some problems, the guitar was impeccable with less than a year of use, but the neck was somewhat curved by the action of the gauge strings. 0.12 I suppose, I bought the key to calibrate the soul (since it is not standard and does not come with the guitar) and I solved it, but I observed that especially on the 4th, 5th and 6th bass strings its 12th fret harmonic was out of tune with the open string, I realized that the original bridge bone does not follow the radius of the fingerboard, and that from the 4th string it grows to the 6th, I have changed the bridge bone for one that I had to adapt and now the Tuning at the 12th fret with its harmonico is perfect, and also the action of the three bass strings is lower than with the original bone. In any case, the orientation of the neck with respect to the body could further improve the action of the strings on the neck, there is the possibility of completely disassembling the mneck by means of a pair of screws located inside the body of the Taylor's guitars and being able to place some small pieces of wood to correct it, which I believe is only carried out by official Taylor technical services. Does anyone know if the change of orientation of the neck falls within the guarantee of the guitar? After all the process with my GS Mini, I have the impression that Taylor does not have a good quality control at least with this model made in Mexico, and it is a shame because its sound is amazing. Saludos from Spain
Old 01-05-2022, 02:56 PM

Since you purchased the guitar used, the lifetime warranty doesn't apply to you.

I would still bring it to a guitar tech for an evaluation.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:50 PM

Default a thought

Seeing as this instrument was purchased used, I think criticisms of the guitar cannot be assigned to Taylor's quality control. Many things may have happened when the instrument was in the hands of previous owners.

For starters, I encourage the current owner to obtain and install a Taylor-sourced OEM saddle, and begin sorting out the guitar from there.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinosap View Post
After all the process with my GS Mini, I have the impression that Taylor does not have a good quality control at least with this model made in Mexico, and it is a shame because its sound is amazing. Saludos from Spain
The unfortunate thing is you have no idea as to what has happened to the guitar in the last year, for note Taylors warranty and after sales service is what has made them the great company they are today.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-05-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Since you purchased the guitar used, the lifetime warranty doesn't apply to you.

I would still bring it to a guitar tech for an evaluation.
The guitar has not yet been registered by its previous owner, only a few months ago he bought it and I hardly play it since he plays drums, I hope he sends me the invoice to register it.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Seeing as this instrument was purchased used, I think criticisms of the guitar cannot be assigned to Taylor's quality control. Many things may have happened when the instrument was in the hands of previous owners.

For starters, I encourage the current owner to obtain and install a Taylor-sourced OEM saddle, and begin sorting out the guitar from there.
The saddle that carries the guitar is the original Taylor and its condition is like new, the guitar does not have a scratch and the original Elixir strings are and sound like new
Old 01-05-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
The unfortunate thing is you have no idea as to what has happened to the guitar in the last year, for note Taylors warranty and after sales service is what has made them the great company they are today.

Steve
I totally agree with you, but in this case something has gone wrong and I would just like to know why,
Old 01-06-2022, 06:28 AM

I just want to know where you bought that key to calibrate the soul.....I may need one of those.😉😁
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 01-06-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinosap View Post
I but I observed that especially on the 4th, 5th and 6th bass strings its 12th fret harmonic was out of tune with the open string, I realized that the original bridge bone does not follow the radius of the fingerboard, and that from the 4th string it grows to the 6th, I have changed the bridge bone for one that I had to adapt and now the Tuning at the 12th fret with its harmonico is perfect, and also the action of the three bass strings is lower than with the original bone. In any case, the orientation of the neck with respect to the body could further improve the action of the strings
There seems to be a language issue here.

The 12th fret harmonic will always be in tune with the open string, an octave higher. You should match the 12th fret harmonic to the string fretted at the 12th fret, not open.

What you are calling the bridge bone, we call the saddle. If it is not original, I doubt Taylor would do a neck adjustment under warranty. Also you are not the original owner. A Taylor technician would probably shim your neck for a fee though.

You could adjust your action by raising or lowering your new saddle, This is how non adjustable necks are often done.

It is common for bass strings to have higher action than treble strings to prevent buzzing.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
I just want to know where you bought that key to calibrate the soul.....I may need one of those.😉😁
yea... I was going to ask about that!! thanks Dave!!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
I just want to know where you bought that key to calibrate the soul.....I may need one of those.����
You have to admit, that’s a beautiful turn of phrase (even if inadvertent). Love it!

Last edited by Aimelie; 01-06-2022 at 10:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair