The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2021, 02:07 AM

Default Best nylon crossover guitar

I’ve seen the Yamaha NTX5, Furch nylon cutaway, Cordoba fusion series - which ones sound the best acoustically and plugged in to you?
Slightly curious also about the atmosfeel system on the Yamaha, if it’s any good vs say , anthem classical.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Just bought a Cordoba Natural 12 Crossover yesterday and was very impressed with the sound acoustically. The feel is very good. For the price range I can not find many things that I do not like about it. Wish it came with a gig bag and also wish they would have fit the saddle better in the saddle slot as it is not having even contact with the pickup but will fix that myself today.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 11-21-2021, 12:28 PM

I acquired a Martin 000C-16E Nylon recently. In the past, I've owned a Cordoba Crossover, a Takamine TC135SC, an Ovation 6774 Folklore, and an Ovation Classic. I now also own a Godin ACS-SA.

This one compares well to them. It sounds great plugged in and very nice unplugged. The action low is with no buzzing, and I can comfortably do a thumb-wrap with the 1 7/8 nut width. The guitar is also beautifully made and exudes quality. Even the case is beautiful.

One reservation I have is the added scale length. It's 26+ and I do feel that extra length when playing. I've experimented with putting a capo on the first and second frets to reduce the length, and I may do that more often in future.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind that folks treat "crossover" with slightly variable specifications.

I have had a Cordoba GK, and currently have a Cervantes Crossover I.

The Cordoba was nice. It had a 50mm nut, 650mm scale length, and I believe a slightly radiused fretboard. The pickup was functional, but I never really used it so I cannot attest to how good it sounds. It's fairly inexpensive and Cordoba offers a nice variety of inexpensive crossover style guitars.

The Cervantes is not inexpensive. New a few years ago it was ~$2500 (which included the pickup below). It is 48mm nut width, 650mm scale, slightly radiused fretboard, and a very well-installed Highlander II pickup (aftermarket). This one sounds quite nice. Although I do not play out with it, I plug it in now and then, just b/c it sounds so nice with the Highlander.

To me, a hybrid nut width is 48mm but you'll see many sold with 50mm.

I also currently have a Kenny Hill New World Player, with a 50mm nut width, but it's not a "hybrid". It is a small (628mm scale), nylon-stringed guitar, with a flat radius fretboard.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 11-21-2021, 08:22 PM

The best crossover guitar I have ever played was a Lowden S25 Jazz model. I foolishly sold it because of my self-imposed one in one out rule.
If you are looking for a traditionally Spanish tone the Lowden might not be for you.
Christian
Old 11-22-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I acquired a Martin 000C-16E Nylon recently. In the past, I've owned a Cordoba Crossover, a Takamine TC135SC, an Ovation 6774 Folklore, and an Ovation Classic. I now also own a Godin ACS-SA.

This one compares well to them. It sounds great plugged in and very nice unplugged. The action low is with no buzzing, and I can comfortably do a thumb-wrap with the 1 7/8 nut width. The guitar is also beautifully made and exudes quality. Even the case is beautiful.

One reservation I have is the added scale length. It's 26+ and I do feel that extra length when playing. I've experimented with putting a capo on the first and second frets to reduce the length, and I may do that more often in future.

Is this the model? Martin 000C12-16E

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-nylon-natural
Old 11-22-2021, 09:43 AM

I have owned several crossover guitars over the years, a Lowden S25j, a Taylor and an Ovation. None were as good as the Dowina models now available.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if anyone can comment on the Buscarino Cabaret, or more likely, the Eastman JB Cabaret. I am looking at the Eastman but there isn't much information available.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
... I have had a Cordoba GK, and currently have a Cervantes Crossover I. ...

The Cervantes is not inexpensive. New a few years ago it was ~$2500 (which included the pickup below). It is 48mm nut width, 650mm scale, slightly radiused fretboard, and a very well-installed Highlander II pickup (aftermarket). This one sounds quite nice. Although I do not play out with it, I plug it in now and then, just b/c it sounds so nice with the Highlander.

To me, a hybrid nut width is 48mm but you'll see many sold with 50mm. ...

John
I also own a Cervantes Crossover I. I have owned a Takamine and two different nylon string Taylor guitars, including their flagship. I was not happy with any of those guitars, but I like the Cervantes because it is much more responsive.

- Glenn
Old 11-22-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I have owned several crossover guitars over the years, a Lowden S25j, a Taylor and an Ovation. None were as good as the Dowina models now available.
Which Dowina model?

I keep looking at a Bona Vita nylon string that I really like…

Various stringed instruments
Old 11-22-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I’ve seen the Yamaha NTX5, Furch nylon cutaway, Cordoba fusion series - which ones sound the best acoustically and plugged in to you?
Slightly curious also about the atmosfeel system on the Yamaha, if it’s any good vs say , anthem classical.

Thanks!
Out of the ones you listed the Cordoba Fusion series is the best unplugged by miles. Plugged in the Yamaha wins hands down. All the way up the line Yamaha has fantastic pickups on the nylons.

I would tell you to try on some of the Taylor Academy nylons before you buy. They do vary in tone a bit but for a few hundred more you get a more refined sound.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmillbern View Post
Which Dowina mfodel?

I keep looking at a Bona Vita nylon string that I really like…
I don't know the model number but Steve Cooney plays one. A demo can be found on YouTube.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:50 PM

Furch - I absolutely love my GNC 4 SR. It is by far my absolute favorite nylon crossover I have ever owned. I actually sold my Lowden nylon after I purchased the Furch because it didn't compare.
The only "better" (in my opinion) is the Goodall nylon that I had the privilege to play a while back.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Is this the model? Martin 000C12-16E

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-nylon-natural
Yes, that's the one.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:03 AM

https://open.spotify.com/album/1mP0H6sPc8lEHpaBlsUw0i

Really love the tone here, how can I get close to this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical