The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hi,

Many of the luthiers discussed on the AGF have high base prices, $9,000 and up. Who are some great, maybe up-and-coming luthiers whose base prices are under $5,000?

Thanks
Hi all

Trevor Kronbauer. Base price still $3600.00 USD. Not sure what he's doing during COVID times.

My mini-Jumbo is 17 yrs old, and an amazing instrument (Koa/Sitka).

The mini-Jumbo is his sweet-spot instrument.

Several Fanned Fret tappers have had him build guitars too.

I've played about a dozen Kronbauers, and 8 of those were Mini-Jumbos. One of my students had him build a Ziracote/Cedar which is still an amazing sounding guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-21-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all

Trevor Kronbauer. Base price still $3600.00 USD. Not sure what he's doing during COVID times.

My mini-Jumbo is 17 yrs old, and an amazing instrument (Koa/Sitka).

The mini-Jumbo is his sweet-spot instrument.

Several Fanned Fret tappers have had him build guitars too.

I've played about a dozen Kronbauers, and 8 of those were Mini-Jumbos. One of my students had him build a Ziracote/Cedar which is still an amazing sounding guitar.

I think Trevor builds fabulous guitars. The 2 I had the privilege of owning for several years were both phenomenal instruments. I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on another one when the time comes.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Aviva Steigmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
I just checked her website, beautiful work. And she apprenticed with Todd Cambio, that's interesting. Thanks for posting this
You’re welcome. There was an article about her in an Acoustic Guitar mag article about luthiers who are women. It’s such a boys club, it was refreshing to see. Also I’m correcting the spelling of her first name. AVIVA.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Kraus Guitars

Check out Kraus Guitars- Bill's starting price is well below $5000. He built me a beautiful OM. www.krausguitars.com
Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

If you go to $5200 it covers Kinnaird which, after spending a week with them and a few other weekends recently, I would highly recommend. He has at least a couple Deep OM's for sale at the moment that are under $5k and are all amazing...don't tell anyone, but the mahogany one is the best .

Fred Tellier is another Canadian builder well under your cap and I have a Lutz/Bubinga SJ of his that is the masterpiece that sent me down this very expensive rabbit hole of buying handmade acoustics for a hobby.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Default FE Tellier

Fred Tellier (Fe Tellier guitars) is a member here and a regular on the guitar shows scene. Those who have played Fred’s guitars know has good they sound. They have surprised a lot of people over the years.

Important notice : Fred is a relax, easy going, kind and generous human being. Which make for a fantastic commission/build experience. Don’t underestimate the importance of this.

I have had Fred build me two guitars. Both are fantastic. In fact I just commissioned a third build, about to begin soon😊. You can Have a look at the build threads and sound sample made with a research in this forum.

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop