The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Default using a thumb pick?

hi everyone! i am thinking of experimenting with a thumb pick because I find that at times I want to both finger pick and strum with a pick in different parts of a song...i was wondering, for those of you who use a thumb pick, how effective is it to strum with a thumb pick? thanks everyone!
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 AM

Just as effective as with a regular pick, and you don't have to worry about it flying away.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:16 AM

I've recently been using a thumb pick. I trim and file them until they suit me.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 PM

thanks guys, for your tips...i have two questions:

(1) I usually favor a thinner pick (i use dunlop nylon .46mm), do they make thumb picks of that thickness?

(2) For those of you who trim your thumb picks, how do you do it? I tried putting one on today but found that too much of the pick "sticks out" for my liking. (I usually hold a pick so that much of the pick is under my thumb and only use the top 'little bit' sticking out to play)

Thanks again!
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

I've been using a thumb pick for a long time. I've used everyone imaginable and it's all personal. Yes, they make thicker and thinner ones. Go to your favorite store and buy 6 or more different ones and just play around. I use an old fashioned emory board and some fine sand paper to shape mine.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:06 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I went from bare thumb to thumbpick for 3 years, then back to bare thumb. I grew tired of the "click" of using the pick, unbalanced volume. Prefer the feel and tone of bare flesh...more "whoomph".
When I was using the pick my favorite was Kelly Speedpick, medium.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-15-2005, 08:52 AM

I use thumb picks when I break my thumb nail only. They are very different in sound and attack angle, but they work.I must confess though, I much prefer my thumb nail..when I have one.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 AM

I use bare thumb or thumb pick depending on the song. I think you'll find that a thumb pick isn't ideal for strumming....do an upstroke and watch the pick fly off your thumb. I've seen videos where Tommy E. can do an upstroke with his thumb pick, however I have to use my index finger. I think a thumb pick is mainly useful for Travis style alternating bass and some Chet Atkins songs, especially when you want that muffled, thumping bass sound, otherwise I prefer the bare thumb.

There's also the hybrid picking option where you use a flat pick for fingerstyle. Holding the pick with the thumb and index finger and using your free fingers play the melody notes. Tommy Emmanuel does this with ease as well. Check out his rendention of Amazing Grace from here http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp show #245 (near the end of the video)

Using a thumb pick takes a little more effort than a bare thumb. You have to be careful not to dig into the strings too hard...it requires more finesse. Like everything else, it just takes practice.
Taylor GA3

Last edited by deltoid; 02-15-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 AM

I love the thumbpick and find when you want volume and definition, it works well. I also love the sound of bare fingernails, so I perform with a thumbpic, relax with barefingers.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM

I have always used my thumb and the pads of my finger`s, never got on with a thumb pick. Tried but found that the pick bit would tap the sound board by the sound hole above the 6 string.
Then I found the Fred Kelly speed , & slick pick. Now I cant go back, even growing my finger nail`s.
The clarrity of the bass when playing fast is just untrue. Great deffinition
can`t go back now.
Simmo
Old 02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
OCD Certified

My favourite was the Kelly Speedpick Heavy until I got a Slickpick Medium(orange) as a gift from Pat Kirtley.
It is my favourite now. Has the warmest tone and does not drown out the high strings (since I do not use fingerpicks).
I need to try the Heavy slickpick next.

I hate strumming with thumbpicks; not even with the yellow thin FK Speedpick. The up strokes is a always a mess and I find it hard to balance out the volume with the rest of the fingerpicking.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell