The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I’m an older guy with a finicky right shoulder, so I can relate. I have a D42 which sounds wonderful. My OM28 compares well and is more comfortable to play.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
Isn't the L-size bigger than a Dread? I had one a long time ago &, while a very nice guitar, seemed big to me. If not bigger than a dread, it sure is close.

If I were going "small" I'd go to a 00-sized guitar. I have a CS 00-18 & it is super comfortable. With the Adi/Hog woods it has a big voice. Not a dread, for sure, bit a very big sounding guitar.

The suggestion to look at a 12-fret 00-sized guitar is a good one, too.

Frank
The "L" has the same 16" lower bout that most Dreads do, but the tight waist makes it sit lower under the arm than a dread does.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:28 PM

I'm partial to deep OO's, also know as, "H" and/or Nick Lucas sized guitars.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:32 PM

Another vote for a 00 12-fretter... also try to find a Martin 000-30A
Fraulini Erma #19
Old 08-09-2022, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

These are not really smaller than a dread, but they are way more comfortable seated, and you get most of the dreadnought sound;

Martin J-40 left, Martin GP-28 right
Old 08-09-2022, 05:47 PM

An OM with rosewood back and sides can give you lots of bass response, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Each model has its own strengths. Nothing sounds like a dread. Especially in the open positions. But a good OM is close, and has its own advantages.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
These are not really smaller than a dread, but they are way more comfortable seated, and you get most of the dreadnought sound;

Martin J-40 left, Martin GP-28 right
Never played a Martin GP but the J-40 is every bit like what a dread can offer but for me without the snap of a dread. Not necessarily a bad thing in hindsight after I sold my 40. One more in a long list of guitars I should have kept?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 PM

I found you either need a very expensive and lightly built OM style guitar or something like my Larrivee L sized guitar with a large lower bout and smaller upper bout. It makes it easier hold in your lap but gives me more depth. The Taylor GS is another example of this style.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
I'm partial to deep OO's, also know as, "H" and/or Nick Lucas sized guitars.
I was going to suggest a deep bodied Collings C10.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:29 PM

I'd put my deep-bodied size 0 up against many dreads. I was playing some tunes with a friend of mine who after playing for a while, simply asked me "Do you realize how loud that guitar is?".

Old 08-09-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd put my deep-bodied size 0 up against many dreads. I was playing some tunes with a friend of mine who after playing for a while, simply asked me "Do you realize how loud that guitar is?".

That's a great sounding single 0! Color me impressed!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That's a great sounding single 0! Color me impressed!
Thanks. I'm very pleased with it every time I play. I wish someone would produce a similar guitar at a "easy to reach" price point. This one was a couple hundred and I don't understand why some manufacturer isn't producing something similar.
If there's something similar on the market at a reasonable price I'd love to know so I could recommend it to folks who are looking for a similar instrument.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogle View Post
I'll agree with Goat Mick.....a CEO-7 is a very nice choice.
Agree… I had a 000-18, and it was great, but the CEO packs more of a punch, to my ears. I sold the 000-18.

You might also look into 12 fretters, if that works for you.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:21 PM

Sound and response preferences differ, and you've already gathered some guesses at what you might like. While I have and play a couple of six string dreadnaught style guitars, I happen to like the sound and response of many smaller than dread guitars. I have no problem finding what I might call warm and woody from my smaller that dread guitars.

That said, if you happen to like your dreadnaught, but your issue is the reach over or around the lower bout, you can consider a different playing position. I've got an old bod. When seated I play with the guitar on left thigh, neck up and left foot on low foot-stool. This is sorta-kinda "classical guitar position" but with deeper bodies I'll modify that sometimes to holding the guitar so that the top slopes backward. Not full "TBone Walker" (search for pictures) but this makes things easier on my old shoulder.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-09-2022, 08:00 PM

Check out the 1942 LG2 Reissue - no it’s not a dread. But **** does it have a wonderful warm sound. I play it more than my custom shop bird because it’s so comfortable and articulate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion