The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 07:29 AM

Default Considering Travel Guitar

I am looking at possible travel guitars. The dealers in town carry Martin and Takamine. There are no Taylor's with in a 1 to 2 hour drive. I know the normal suggestions but I am curious about the Taka-mini.

Does anyone have any experience with the Taka-mini?

Thank you all in advance for your responses.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-09-2022, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Price range?

Is this for travel on airplanes, or a vehicle that has a lot of room? If the former, consider a guitar that either folds (Voyage Air), or can be disassembled into a a small pack (Furch Little Jane, Journey)

Concerned about temperature and humidity? If so, consider carbon fiber, like the Journey OF660, or the Enya guitars (recent reviews in the Carbon Fiber forum).

Sorry, I have no experience with the Taka-mini.

The problem with many travel guitars is that they are enough of a specialty item that its hard to find a dealer to try one out. Guitar Center, or even Amazon, carries some. So you could make use of their return policy if it doesn't work out.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:58 AM

Aside from the comments immediately above (all good points) the Taka -mini is a 3/4 size guitar and, I'd suspect, has the same drawback in tone that all 3/4 size instruments do. I know you said there's no Taylor dealers in your area but you might look for some used local Taylor GS-Minis to buy (or to try and then you can just order one online as they are VERY reliably built similarly). The GS Mini is slightly larger than 3/4 and the sound reflects just that - about as close to a full size in a travel guitar as you can buy and not the toy sound you get from a 3/4 (Baby Taylor included).

Sorry for this answer but sometimes the answer isn't exactly the one you hope for.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:30 PM

FWIW, the Guild Jumbo Junior is pretty much a match (size, price, construction formula) for the Taylor GS Mini, and I've played one whose voice I prefer to that of the GS Mini I bought as a traveler a while back. Both models have enough example-by-example variability that I would be reluctant to buy one sight-unheard--the three Guilds I tried had quite distinct voices, as have the many Taylor's I've run across. Not huge, and probably not so much good/bad as different, but even my aging ears have their preferences.

FWIW, part deux: The Taylor's gig bag is very nice, but for air travel I got a Travelite TL-60 polyfoam case (which also fits my National M-1) that is sturdy enough for gate-checking. This model seems to be discontinued, but similar foam/wood-frame designs are worth checking out. The TL-60 looks like this:

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/chrisbsmusicinc_2270_44726107
Old 08-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Don't know how difficult it would be for you to audition one, but the Breedlove Concertina models are really, REALLY nice little guitars... head and shoulders beyond a GS Mini, in my experience.

You can get the Concertina in a variety of formats from a number of the different "Series" that Breedlove offers... the Discovery Series is the least expensive at around $400, but I'd suggest checking out the Organic Series or the Artista Series Concertinas. For ~$800, they are seriously nice little guitars that do not sound like toy guitars!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-09-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Don't know how difficult it would be for you to audition one, but the Breedlove Concertina models are really, REALLY nice little guitars... head and shoulders beyond a GS Mini, in my experience.

You can get the Concertina in a variety of formats from a number of the different "Series" that Breedlove offers... the Discovery Series is the least expensive at around $400, but I'd suggest checking out the Organic Series or the Artista Series Concertinas. For ~$800, they are seriously nice little guitars that do not sound like toy guitars!
It completely slipped my mind that our Martin dealer also handles Breedlove.

The $400 range is where the Taka-mini is at. I am wanting something the can easily go on the plane when we fly to Florida on Southwest. If we drive it will take less space.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-09-2022, 01:39 PM

I went thru the paces to find a guitar that I could, and wanted to travel with.
The GS mini was too big for the car and too fragile to leave in the car for hours.
The Fender/Squier stratacoustic sounded like crap.
I’ve gone as far as taking my Yairi, but taking it in every time we are going to be stopped for more than 20 minutes is a PITA.
Finally stopped on the Journey Instruments OF660.
In some ways, I wish I’d gone with the RT660. But you can’t beat the OF660 for space saving. And the CF is dang near indestructible.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 08-09-2022, 01:44 PM

I suggest a Martin 0-X1E. It is a sturdy-built guitar, using mostly non-wood parts, so it is not subject to temperature or humidity concerns (warping, fret sprout, etc.). It is nicely balanced tonally with a suprising amount of bass. Built-in pickup with sound hole controls, and a nice gig bag.

Look for a retailer who will quote you a lower price than what I see on eBay.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM

Honestly, for a travel guitar where you are exposing it to changes in humidity, temperature, bumping around, etc., I would go with a laminate wood guitar that has a solid top. I don't know enough about carbon fiber guitars and how durable they are to make a recommendation one way or another, but I've heard a few that sound really nice... at least on YouTube.
The biggest questions: Are you flying or traveling via ground (bus, truck, car)
Are you planning on bringing it with you to camp sites (no matter if it's a glamper or not)? Are you expecting to play it around the campfire, beach, etc., or just indoors at your aunts house?
Will the travel compartment always be climate controlled, or will it be sitting in the bed of the truck with a travel top that will get to 120 or higher in the summer and 40 or lower in the winter?
Are you looking for a smaller guitar, or are you looking for something that will withstand travels
If you are expecting any type of abuse at all, go with a laminate bodied guitar. If you are going canoeing with it, carbon fiber.

Takamine makes a nice guitar. I've looked at their 12 strings and I am impressed with those. That said, you might consider a few others.
Breedlove makes a nice guitar for a reasonable price.
I've played a few nice Washburns
Ditto for Yamaha, Alvarez, and Ibanez brands.
I have a Sigma guitar, which is a laminate guitar built in Korea and was in general a Martin style dreadnaught guitar. This is my go-to guitar when traveling, but I don't go camping with it.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 08-09-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
FWIW, part deux: The Taylor's gig bag is very nice, but for air travel I got a Travelite TL-60 polyfoam case (which also fits my National M-1) that is sturdy enough for gate-checking. This model seems to be discontinued, but similar foam/wood-frame designs are worth checking out. The TL-60 looks like this:

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/chrisbsmusicinc_2270_44726107
Wow, that polyfoam case costs as much or more than the Gator/SKB hard cases being sold (and which offer a significant amount more protection IMHO).
Old 08-09-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Wow, that polyfoam case costs as much or more than the Gator/SKB hard cases being sold (and which offer a significant amount more protection IMHO).
Well, I paid Amazon $79.99 back in 2013, and the current Amazon price of a Gator hardshell classical case (same size) is $119.99, while Sweetwater has the SKB molded ABS case for the GS-Mini at $169.99. (The official Taylor Aero soft case is $189--and, to be fair, seems pretty resistant to a range of ordinary dangers.)

I am not completely confident that anything short of a Calton-grade flight case is proof against the hazards of an automated airline baggage system, but the polyfoam/reinforced-top/sides construction of the Travelite is a decent alternative to a five-ply wooden case--and probably better protection against shock. I don't know why that line is no longer available (it's still listed on the Saga site), and I don't see a lot of direct competitors for that particular design/construction formula.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:36 PM

I bought a McPherson Touring Carbon guitar for travel, outside use several years ago. Love the sound and playability, transitions nicely from my Taylor 814ce. I since have grown paranoid when having to stay in motels for extended periods of someone deciding they need it worse than me. I acquired a Traveler Pro-Series Mod-X for that void. It collapses down to the size of a tennis racket. It features the same scale length as a Les Paul. It can be played acoustically and also has a piezo and humbucker pickup. It fills all my needs for use and low cost in case of theft or breakage.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you’re looking at acoustic travel guitars, but if you just want something super portable to practice on, I can recommend the Traveler Ultra Light. It’s 24.75 scale 1 11/16” nut , basically just a neck with strings but it’s stable and fits anywhere. I used it while traveling through France.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:49 PM

Voyage-Air. Real travel guitars at every price point. Start here and then look at the others. I have no affiliation but a buddy had one and it was impressive. And I've never read a bad owner review of one.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

Last edited by jp2558; 08-09-2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added nfo.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:35 PM

Alvarez has its own line of travel guitars. I think these are supposed to have 1-3/4 nut widths but, per my experience, the string-spacings on the nut are narrower than one would expect. Plan on cutting a new nut.

Were I to get something like these, I'd probably get an acoustic-electric. I think there are too many compromises in tone. I'm certain that they don't sound like jumbos, dreads, or even OOOs (but a good sound editor can do that for a video).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion