The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2022, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Default NTGD - Enya Nova Pro Arrived Today

Lady Luck smiled upon me today and my work computer did a complete belly up crash and die so I got a free day off while they overnight a new one. Knowing that my Enya was scheduled to be delivered today, I went down to my local Mom & Pop (Campbell’s Music, Johnson City, TN - great store!), and played every travel guitar they had in stock from little Yamahas, Baby Taylors, and everything else I could find. I gotta tell you this little Enya sounds as good as any of them. Very thin, easy to hold and dang near indestructible. I’m very impressed. It is a little zingy but I think a lot of that is because the stings are new and haven’t been played. It by no means sounds like my J-45 or CEO-7 but for what it is I like it! And I can throw it in the car on summer trips and not worry about it at all. This thing is a lot more than just a guitar shaped object. The fretwork is clean, it’s set up well and the finish is perfect. I got it on Amazon during Prime Days for $159.00 with free shipping. Dang good semi-hard gig bag too. Pics to prove it happened.

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Last edited by Goat Mick; 07-18-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a cool travel companion Mick, great price,no need to worry about it Congrats.

And BONUS! Day off to go play guitars, nice.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-18-2022, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Looks like a cool travel companion Mick, great price,no need to worry about it Congrats.

And BONUS! Day off to go play guitars, nice.
I’m not complaining!!
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-18-2022, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Nice, Mick, it looks like a lot of guitar for the price!

I'm tempted get the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus (EA-X4E Pro). At $899, is it too good a deal to be true for what seems to be a decent carbon-fiber, acoustic-electric guitar?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-19-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Had a quick check and wondered why your Nova Pro has 6 instead of 4 strings

(IOW, did you mean to write Nova Go?)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

I was wondering the same thing, after poking around on Amazon for a while
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-18-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It says Nova Go on the headstock. It’s an expansion from their ukulele line.

‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-18-2022, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

That's a great report for an affordable travel companion. Thanks ! Wondering if you played any of the HPL Martins?

Last edited by jdinco; 07-18-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:54 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Lady Luck smiled upon me today and my work computer did a complete belly up crash and die so I got a free day off while they overnight a new one. Knowing that my Enya was scheduled to be delivered today, I went down to my local Mom & Pop (Campbell’s Music, Johnson City, TN - great store!), and played every travel guitar they had in stock from little Yamahas, Baby Taylors, and everything else I could find. I gotta tell you this little Enya sounds as good as any of them. Very thin, easy to hold and dang near indestructible. I’m very impressed. It is a little zingy but I think a lot of that is because the stings are new and haven’t been played. It by no means sounds like my J-45 or CEO-7 but for what it is I like it! And I can throw it in the car on summer trips and not worry about it at all. This thing is a lot more than just a guitar shaped object. The fretwork is clean, it’s set up well and the finish is perfect. I got it on Amazon during Prime Days for $159.00 with free shipping. Dang good semi-hard gig bag too. Pics to prove it happened.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Kicking myself for not jumping on the Amazon Prime deal, but then I am on a spending freeze and would hear hell if I had another guitar delivered . . .
Old 07-19-2022, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
That's a great report for an affordable travel companion. Thanks ! Wondering if you played any of the HPL Martins?

I used to have one of the black HPL 000 Matin guitars but I really couldn’t use it as a travel guitar because it was just as vulnerable to heat as a solid wood guitar. The HPL gives you more protection against humidity and impact but you still have to carry it in every where you go. Granted it does sound much better than the Enya but the main thing that pointed me towards the Enya is that I can leave it in a very hot or very cold car without worrying it’s going to warp or come apart. It’s not a great sounding guitar but it’s pretty nice and sounds just as good as a Baby Taylor or one of the small, all laminate Yamahas I tried Monday.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-19-2022, 04:45 AM

Curious, would you have paid the full price? *)

I can't help but think it could have sounded better if they had put in a more standard soundhole.

Last winter I visited an old colleague and he showed me his "favourite" guitar in terms of quality/price ratio. Turned out to be a guitalele sized bright orange plastic nylonstringer that looked as if it was cast or blown from a single piece. He told me he picked it up for less than 50€ and it honestly sounded a lot better than you'd expect. And amazingly well intonated.

*) The question with all of these is of course what you get from them. I can see the interest if they allow you to keep studying while travelling but only if the size difference doesn't make it difficult to transpose what you acquired to your usual instruments (and doesn't come at the risk of developping bad habits).
If that's not the goal, won't the instrument become something you end up not taking along because it's just not rewarding enough to pick up and spend time with rather than doing travel-related things you can not do when back home?
Old 07-19-2022, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Curious, would you have paid the full price? *)

I can't help but think it could have sounded better if they had put in a more standard soundhole.

Last winter I visited an old colleague and he showed me his "favourite" guitar in terms of quality/price ratio. Turned out to be a guitalele sized bright orange plastic nylonstringer that looked as if it was cast or blown from a single piece. He told me he picked it up for less than 50€ and it honestly sounded a lot better than you'd expect. And amazingly well intonated.

*) The question with all of these is of course what you get from them. I can see the interest if they allow you to keep studying while travelling but only if the size difference doesn't make it difficult to transpose what you acquired to your usual instruments (and doesn't come at the risk of developping bad habits).
If that's not the goal, won't the instrument become something you end up not taking along because it's just not rewarding enough to pick up and spend time with rather than doing travel-related things you can not do when back home?
The scale length feels close enough to my “good” guitars that I had no problem playing it right out of the box. It’s a bit shorter but it feels a lot like my telecaster in my hands. And yes, I was planning on buying it at full price before I saw the Amazon Prime Days deal, it just made me pull the trigger a little faster. This guitar is not going to be the one I pick up every day and I didn’t expect it to be when I bought it. But it does sound really good for a travel size guitar and I’ll grab it anytime I want to take a guitar without having to worry about leaving it in a parked car for extended periods. After I install a pickup it’ll probably be my festival guitar as well. It’s a tool intended for a specific purpose and will be used as such.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-19-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I guess I'm missing the point: is there a lot of call for leaving a guitar in a car? Under what circumstances is that a necessity? Traveling salesman? Even though carbon fiber can handle temperature and humidity extremes better than wood... why?

I like small guitars. And carbon fiber guitars. And wood guitars. But, I don't put any of them through "torture testing." I have had guitars that have traveled thousands of miles with me... just never had to leave them endlessly in a hot or cold car.

Anyone care to enlighten me? While I can certainly be a smartass, that isn't my intent here... just trying to learn. Wanting a small, inexpensive CF guitar - I get that. TIA.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I guess I'm missing the point: is there a lot of call for leaving a guitar in a car? Under what circumstances is that a necessity? Traveling salesman? Even though carbon fiber can handle temperature and humidity extremes better than wood... why?

I like small guitars. And carbon fiber guitars. And wood guitars. But, I don't put any of them through "torture testing." I have had guitars that have traveled thousands of miles with me... just never had to leave them endlessly in a hot or cold car.

Anyone care to enlighten me? While I can certainly be a smartass, that isn't my intent here... just trying to learn. Wanting a small, inexpensive CF guitar - I get that. TIA.

There have been several times that I thought having a guitar with me would be nice but not worth the trouble of carrying it with me every time I got out of the car. I understand you’ve never felt this need but that doesn’t negate my reasoning for wanting one.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-19-2022, 11:15 AM

I can think of one example that comes from personal experience. Say you have a job that requires your boots on the ground. You get a couple 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. Your facility doesn't have a locker and you don't want a co-worker walking off with your guitar (many that share your workplace are high school dropouts and haven't had a felony in at least a year).

But you want to bring your guitar to practice on your lunch, and so CF fits the bill. I'd be more concerned that something like a RainSong or Emerald would be ripped off from your car than from any heat or cold extremes. That is the sales pitch of CF instruments from the get go, and a $159 guitar even makes more sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber