The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Guest 61722

Default Different ways to play the open G chord

Just a casual survey... how many of you play the open G chord with your pinky on the high E string vs. the ring finger? I keep practicing with my pinky, but it wants to fold in on itself and it's not stable. I tried taping the first joint with some white first aid tape, but then it was too rigid.

Am I really going to have so many problems down the road if I don't learn the open G with pinky? I can play the alternate fingerings for other chords using my pinky but it must be something about the stretch between the top and the bottom of the fretboard that's not working for the little finger of my left hand.

Just for the sake of comparison, I flipped my guitar upside down so it was in L-hand playing position. Same issue if I fret and open G with my right hand.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:01 PM

Both ways...depends on what comes next
Old 07-17-2022, 04:04 PM

I usually use my ring finger on the e string except when I use the pinky and the ring finger on the B string also on the third fret open G. My pinky is also not very strong or stable.
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 07-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

+1 on both. It takes time, but it will happen.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-17-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It took me a bit of practice to get comfortable playing the G shape with my pinky but it is worth it learning both ways. It helps with more efficient movement to whatever the next chord is as well as choices in whatever free finger you might need to fret a particular melody note that is not in the shape.
It takes some patience in the beginning and slowing down to get your fingers used to it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-17-2022, 04:11 PM
Guest 61722

Thank you for your replies. I can play the G with my pinky on the high E if I am also playing with my ring finger on the 3rd fret of the B. But w/out the third finger on the B to stabilize it doesn't work for me yet. I'm going to keep playing around with it. Maybe if I move my hand position or my thumb on the back of the neck that'll help.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I learned to play the open G chord 50 years ago so I have no recollection of the process, but I pretty much always use my pinky to play the high G. That allows a couple of different variations—if I’m playing the low G with my middle finger and the B on the A string with my index finger, I can use my ring finger to play the D at the third fret of the B string. This can be useful when the D is carried over from a previous chord or following chord (e.g., a D chord). Alternatively, the pinky is your only option if you play the G chord using the ring finger to play the low G and the middle finger to play the B on the A string. This makes it easier to switch between a G and a C chord, for example. The intro chord progression for “Take It Easy” is a good example where this second form is used.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I play it any number of ways depending on what the other chords are and what makes for the best transitions between them.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:44 PM

I pretty much always use the pinky to cover the 3rd fret on the high E and B strings on a first position G chord. That index finger has to do some hammer-ons and be ready to go to a G7 and then C. I can't think of any application where it was better to cover that fret with the ring finer.

Take up mandolin - the 4-finger chop chords will whip your pinky into shape!
Old 07-17-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

99% pinky.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:56 PM

My go-to G is middle on low G, index on B of A or floating and A string muted by middle (3rd-less G5, a bluegrass staple), ring on D of B, and pinky on G of high E.

In certain situations, I might use the ring on low G, middle on B of A, pinky on G of high E.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
Thank you for your replies. I can play the G with my pinky on the high E if I am also playing with my ring finger on the 3rd fret of the B. But w/out the third finger on the B to stabilize it doesn't work for me yet. I'm going to keep playing around with it. Maybe if I move my hand position or my thumb on the back of the neck that'll help.
There you go. I play it that way half the time anyway. Just play it that way for a while, and then the other way will come along eventually.
Charter Member

Sinestral has nailed it.

Both ways I play the G chord involve the pinky on the high G note. Then it’s either of two positions:

1) 2nd finger low E, fret 3; index plays the B note on the A string, fret 2
This permits the choice of fattening the chord with a D note on the B string with the ring finger.

2) ring finger low E, fret 3; 2nd finger takes the B note on the A string, fret 2
As sinestral says, this is a trap door to a C chord. I also like it to hammer on the E and C notes on the D and B strings, respectively.

Your guitar has a 1.75” nut. Maybe a bit of a reach for your hands?

In any case, Jayne is correct: using you ring finger on the high G note will limit you. Get that pinky in shape! You’ll be glad.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
My go-to G is middle on low G, index on B of A or floating and A string muted by middle (3rd-less G5, a bluegrass staple), ring on D of B, and pinky on G of high E.

In certain situations, I might use the ring on low G, middle on B of A, pinky on G of high E.
This. I was going to say it myself, but since it's already been said...
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 07-17-2022, 05:20 PM

I play it both ways, depends on the sound I am looking for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write