The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM

I bought a used Guild D 40 With a crack and a lifting bridge. Luckily, the crack turned out to be a finish crack, which doesn't bother me. Just having the bridge repaired. Waiting on it now, just a couple weeks more.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
I bought a used Guild D 40 With a crack and a lifting bridge. Luckily, the crack turned out to be a finish crack, which doesn't bother me. Just having the bridge repaired. Waiting on it now, just a couple weeks more.
Be glad it doesn't need a neck reset, then!

By the way, where in the northern suburbs of Chicago do you live? I went to high school in Arlington Heights.

whm
Old 11-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Grew up in Chicago. High school in Northbrook. Still in Northbrook.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM

As has been said, this is a really big subject.

IMO, as someone who has actually made the stuff, I'd say that nitro is not really stable over the long term. Long here means on the order of 50 years or more, so that may not bother you.

Shellac dissolves in either alcohol or alkaline water solutions. Some folks seem to have alkaline sweat, and can eat through a shellac finish very fast.

Since finish adds both stiffness and weight, and generally more weight than stiffness, less is usually considered 'better'. After all, particularly on the top we're usually trying to keep it light.

It's been well said that when there are a lot of ways of doing something, that's a sign that either everything works, or nothing does. In the case of finish, it's the latter. They all have some advantages and drawbacks, and makers choose the one that has the advantages they need, and drawbacks they can live with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion