The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default ​Paduak Piña spec progress shots

Here are some progress pictures of my new Piña parlor spec. This is figured Padauk with a Swiss Spruce top;

Keeping busy in New Hampshire!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have the Josie quilted maple guitar all strung up. I'm very happy with it's sound and playability and will try to get sound clips up on it in the next week or so. This is the third in my show spec series.

The top on this is a bear claw and quilted Sitka. It glistens in the light but is a devil to catch with a camera. I trying my best to show this in some of these shots;

It's not too hard to catch the figure on the back;

The bridge and fret board are Cocobolo;

The rosette is a bunch of mahogany, black and white wood purfling lines with spalted Tamarind in the middle;

I went with Snakewood bridge pins and bone saddle;

The neck is bound in Cocobolo with MOP side markers and a black purfling line against the Sugar Maple neck;

The headstock has three different kinds of maple. It has a quilted Western Big Leaf Maple overlay, Hard Maple core, and a maple burl back strap;

I get to play this one for a week or so while it learns it's new guitar identity then I'll put up for sale or save it for a show, whichever comes first.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
I had the fantastic opportunity to see this amazing guitar in person yesterday. I have seen some really nice guitars in my days, but this one made my mouth drop!!! As good as it looks in the pictures, it is 100 times more impressive in person. That back is truly 3 dimensional, you have to touch it to prove to yourself that it is a flat surface!!!! The absolute best thing is WHEN YOU MOVE THE GUITAR FROM SIDE TO SIDE OR END TO END JUST A HALF AN INCH, THE FIGURE MOVES AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing. It reminded me of one of those pictures that changes as you look at it from different angles. Then the DETAILS, the curves, the Cocobolo trim, the end graft, GEEZ it is all amazing.

Let me just say, I also think it is a steal for the price and am a little surprised that Mark did not price this higher. The sound is a nice full balanced sound, not anything like the bright sound maple gets maligned for. It is a steal for someone, and some of the most amazingly beautiful wood you have EVER seen.

addendum: I am not a paid spokesman for Hatcher Guitars hahaha!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I would agree with Tom, the Maple guitar is mesmerizing in person, and the craftsmanship is fantastic! You can look at the guitar a hundred times, and each time see some new detail, depending on the light and how you move the guitar. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that. It was very light and effortless to play, took a pick as well as fingers, and sounded fantastic - deep and rich. It was very challenging to let Mark take it home.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Show Spec #4 Swiss Spruce/Ebony Penelope

I am about ready to send the fourth of my show spec series off to the finisher.
I'll do some final clean up and the frets on Monday. This is my Penelope 12 fret model. It has abalone in places I have never put abalone before. The trim is Koa and the elevated neck is Koa as well;

The headstock is my sculpted pillow topped shape. I've never done one in black Ebony before and I can't wait to see how reflections will roll around on that sculpted head plate when it gets back from the finisher.

The black Ebony will get very black under finish but, the Koa will really come to life with more figure and a warmer red color. Here is the back of the neck wet with naptha;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 PM

That's the best looking guitar I have seen from you...and you've made some crackers...

Has a bit of an Olson vibe to it, looks like a fingerstlye dream.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Exquisite elegance at every angle. I've never seen anyone use a Koa neck. Do you think it will affect the tone (in a good way)?
Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
That's the best looking guitar I have seen from you...and you've made some crackers...

Has a bit of an Olson vibe to it, looks like a fingerstlye dream.
I love the expressions you guys use across the pond! Crackers? I love that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Exquisite elegance at every angle. I've never seen anyone use a Koa neck. Do you think it will affect the tone (in a good way)?
I have used this combination of Black Ebony and Koa, along with the Koa neck before on a parlor guitar. I was very happy with the sound I got. I believe a slightly harder neck does add to sustain and maybe a little better tone. It's hard to say but, I consistently am happy with guitars made with harder necks.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default ​I want to make a point on my Piña Parlor Spec

Here is a series of shots that show how I try to create a clean joint on the point of a Florentine cutaway and align the wood grain as it crosses over.
When I bend the side, I bend it with the cutaway part still attached;

I then cut it at the point and hand bend the "cup" of the cutaway on a bending iron. After that I miter the joining edges;

I join the points and apply binding tape to the outside while the point is opened flat;

Then I put the side in the body mold. When folding the point to shape the tape pulls the joint up tight. From there I run a line of CA glue on the inside to lock it;

I take the side out and steel bar (not sand) the edge. Here I'm using a scraper burnisher;

Then I glue in the supporting wedge;

This doesn't work every time, in which case I bind over the joint. I've had a couple builders ask me how I do this. If anyone has a better or additional steps that work please share!

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 07-03-2016, 05:37 AM

Great info. Amazing that the little line of CA glue on mostly end grain actually holds the piece in place prior to adding the supporting wedge. Also, tell more about the burnishing rather than sanding....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-03-2016, 05:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mark,
This is, among many other reasons, why I always view your posts! this is most insightful and helpful. Thank you for sharing this in such detail. LOVE IT!!

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 AM

Hi Mark!

Kudos!
This is exactly the way I did my first cutaway too, and it worked like a charm.
Why do you use the burnisher on the edge of the cutaway, btw?

Bye

Q.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:35 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I am about ready to send the fourth of my show spec series off to the finisher.
I'll do some final clean up and the frets on Monday. This is my Penelope 12 fret model. It has abalone in places I have never put abalone before. The trim is Koa and the elevated neck is Koa as well;

The headstock is my sculpted pillow topped shape. I've never done one in black Ebony before and I can't wait to see how reflections will roll around on that sculpted head plate when it gets back from the finisher.

The black Ebony will get very black under finish but, the Koa will really come to life with more figure and a warmer red color. Here is the back of the neck wet with naptha;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
Mark,

Well, what can I say? Your guitars have a certain WOW factor that gets my heart beating. Some call it GAS, I call it "NORMAL" ha! This guitar looks to be something really special. You may have said it already and I missed it, but what is the difference between your "show spec series" and your others? Is it just that you are building them for the SB show, or have you made certain changes to specs, or?

Also anxious also to hear some sound clips of some of these. I was unable to make the get together that a few of my AGF friends attended...I'm in the midwest ya know...severe travel disadvantage lol. So, some of us hillbillies need to take the next best thing...sound and/or video clips . Thanks for helping satiate my need for eye candy

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Great info. Amazing that the little line of CA glue on mostly end grain actually holds the piece in place prior to adding the supporting wedge. Also, tell more about the burnishing rather than sanding....
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinjazz View Post
Hi Mark!

Kudos!
This is exactly the way I did my first cutaway too, and it worked like a charm.
Why do you use the burnisher on the edge of the cutaway, btw?

Bye

Q.
I use this steel bar method because it tends to fold the wood into any imperfections and clean them up. Sanding tends to make imperfections open up and look worse.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohnson View Post
Mark,
This is, among many other reasons, why I always view your posts! this is most insightful and helpful. Thank you for sharing this in such detail. LOVE IT!!
Thanks Wayne,

I'm glad you find this helpful!

Mark

Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Mark,

Well, what can I say? Your guitars have a certain WOW factor that gets my heart beating. Some call it GAS, I call it "NORMAL" ha! This guitar looks to be something really special. You may have said it already and I missed it, but what is the difference between your "show spec series" and your others? Is it just that you are building them for the SB show, or have you made certain changes to specs, or?

Also anxious also to hear some sound clips of some of these. I was unable to make the get together that a few of my AGF friends attended...I'm in the midwest ya know...severe travel disadvantage lol. So, some of us hillbillies need to take the next best thing...sound and/or video clips . Thanks for helping satiate my need for eye candy
Thanks Woody,

My intentions were to do some of the various guitar shows and I wanted to start to build up an inventory of guitars to bring to these shows. This takes some time and money on top of the custom orders I am currently working on.
Turns out these shows are all booked up this year so I started mentioning that these are available for sale. My first two, the Claro Walnut Parlor and the BRW Greta are already sold and I have the recently completed Maple Josie available with sound clips on the AGF Marketplace section;
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=432024

The idea of the series was to show a variety of guitars, styles, and options I have or can do on custom orders (and selling some of them doesn't hurt either)

Thanks again for your comments,
Mark

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop