The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Free Online Classical Guitar Lessons at Delcamp

I will be starting these classical guitar lessons and wanted to put out the word, as requested by Mr. Delcamp.

Free classical guitar lessons on the internet. Lessons given by Jean-François Delcamp. The lessons will begin in September 2014 and finish in June 2015.

These free classical guitar lessons correspond to the first through sixth years at music school. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have the opportunity of having a teacher.

The conditions for registration are available on the forum: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM

What does the course consist of?

The course is made up of ten lessons at each of several different levels. The first lesson of each level appears in September, and subsequent lessons at monthly intervals. Students who join at the beginning of the course are encouraged to follow the lessons as they come out. Students who join later will find more than one lesson already out, and should start with the first and work through them sequentially.

Each lesson covers a number of exercises and practice pieces, for which the sheet music is provided, as well as demonstration videos and instructional notes by M. Delcamp. Students work on the pieces and post recordings of their progress for feedback by other students, before moving on to the next lesson.

you can read the faq here.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks mc1. )
Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 AM

that's a neat and nice thing to do. i hope it goes well.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:35 AM

I have done these and really enjoyed them (only up to three I think). It really gave me the push I needed to get some recordings done and if you have chosen the level right you will be playing alongside people of similar ability. I love the warts and all videos which you don't tend to get on here as the good players put everyone else off. (In my opinion) And you can get some good feedback.

The only downside was that some of the contributors can be a bit overbearing. The idea is that people of similar ability comment on each other but some seem to choose a level they find easy and set themselves up as some sort of guitar god picking up everyone else's minor flaws after every video. If someone's thumb is sticking out from behind the neck (a capital offence in classical) or their fingering isn't quite perfect, point it out fair enough. But don't point it out every time they post as they already know and are working on the problem and pointing it out every time is not helping!

So now I play blues where my thumb can peek out from behind the neck and nobody cares. In fact it is even encouraged sometimes! Downside of this is I haven't recorded anything in ages.

So in summary, pick the right level for yourself, be constructive and not over critical and don't labour the point. Some people will be better than you and some will not.

Bitter? bitter? I'm not bitter....
Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I used to be a member of that forum, but I have posted in a while (over 2 years) thus my "dues" haven't been paid, lol. I will check it out though. Thanks.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for he heads-up. I just requested to be registered. I took classical lessons when I was 15, i.e. ages ago, and would like to take another shot at it.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM

thanks for posting this!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 PM

This sounds like something I might benefit a lot from.

If I only had the time right now.

Oh well.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I didn't think I had time either but he asks that students practice about 30 minutes every other day, with 10 minute practice on alt days, six days a week. I can manage that.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM

I took classical guitar lessons 45 years ago and signed up on delcamp to give it another go. After years of playing self-taught fingerstyle pop/folk tunes, the simplest lesson in the first level has me going crazy. It's so focused on doing things in a manner so exact that it has me over-analyzing every movement of every finger muscle. I'm going to keep with it for a while but do wonder if I'm going to stick it out. I may be too old a dog to learn new tricks.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM

I haven't done the Delcamp lessons, but they would be a great option if you can't do live lessons - because you get feedback - I feel it is well nigh impossible to get the niceties of classical technique down on your own...

I've been taking classical lessons for a year now (I know, not so long) but I do get tremendous satisfaction from finally achieving things that my fingers point blank refused to do at first... It is also very useful for acoustic finger style playing (which is my particular goal) and the emphasis on tone carries over to steel string too. So I would encourage people to give it a try and stick with it... progress is eventually made albeit sometimes incrementally slowly. I think the important thing is to approach it from the point of view of an adult learner with goals in mind that do not include passing exams or competing with others, just learning things that will contribute to your playing...
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
... I think the important thing is to approach it from the point of view of an adult learner with goals in mind that do not include passing exams or competing with others, just learning things that will contribute to your playing...
That's a good attitude - and I need to adopt it! Thanks for the suggestion.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 08-09-2022, 11:41 PM

I found AGF because of this thread (while researching the Delcamp free class). Later, I joined AGF with a guitar question, but it was answered by the manufacturer before my account/membership was approved

While watching my old Delcamp recordings, I remembered this thread and think it's a good time to bump it because... Classes start beginning of September. So, for the interested folks, right now is a good time to review the class materials to pick the appropriate level (D01-D10).

It took me forever to figure out where the class materials are. In case you haev the same trouble, I've circled them below. Follow the link provided in the OP (1st post).

I completed the D01 class (absolute-beginner level) last year and had a very enjoyable experience. Frankly, I signed up with the expectation that I'd quit in the middle (like all my self-teach musical adventures); but it turned out to be such a fun learning experience that I finished it. In fact, I plan to join the D02 class this year. GAS: I started the class with 1 classical guitar and ended it with 3; ok, maybe that's not such a good thing?

The main things I liked about the class:

- Motivation (the courteous feedbacks just make you want to practice)
- Reasonable time (for D01, recommended practice time is 2hr/wk)
- Interesting songs (folk and classical)
- A year's worth of progress on Youtube (it's a requirement)

A surprise near the end of the class (at least for me because I didn't know it): you are given the option to take a graded exam. I think it is actaully a nice way to validate all the hard work you've put in over the year and a good a way to get objective judgment on whether you should advance to the next level or repeat the level. (You can always advance to the next level without taking the exam.)

I'd be happy to answer your questions regarding the Delcamp free online guitar class; or better yet, post on the questions on Delcamp site and get even better answers.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:31 PM

Cool, looking into this, thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write