The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-11-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim E View Post
Heh. I like how you're not taking sides, but this is the side you're taking. And you'd rather buy a wood Yamaha, if you were in the market for such a guitar, which you are not, so it's a moot point anyway.
I hope you got the jest meant there...and I'm wrong a lot, so there is that. All that said, I'd like to try one in person.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim E View Post
Heh. I like how you're not taking sides, but this is the side you're taking. And you'd rather buy a wood Yamaha, if you were in the market for such a guitar, which you are not, so it's a moot point anyway.
Yeah even buying a cheap Yamaha wood guitar completely defeats the purpose for what I want. If I want a small great sounding guitar, I've got a CEO-7, but for having a guitar that I can leave in the car for an entire vacation at the beach a cheap Yamaha just ain't gonna cut it. There might be the possibility of installing a cheap UST working through that tiny soundport. It's worth considering. It would allow me to get through a couple of songs at an open mic if I happen across one on vacation. Still pondering....
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
If there was an easy way to get a JJB or Journey pickup in it I would have ordered already.
Hi Mick

Well, I did a dry run on a Kala tenor guitar that is similar size to the Enya Go.

It’ll be easier than I thought. That side sound port gives a clear view to place each transducer, unlike the blind non view through a regular guitar sound hole. Which means the template, golf tee and tiny stick aren’t needed.

To install each transducer:
- Put stickum (provided) on the end of a paint stir stick (or similar),
- put the transducer on the stickum,
- put superglue or double sided tape on the transducer,
- insert though the sound port to the correct spot,
- press and hold until the glue/doubletape is set.

The target spots are under the saddle between strings e-a, d-g, b-e. Perhaps a bit over the high e to un-hot the b string. (With bridge pins in to locate the string holes. Put a little led flashlight inside to light the target spots. And install the jack last.)
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-12-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Hi Mick

Well, I did a dry run on a Kala tenor guitar that is similar size to the Enya Go.

It’ll be easier than I thought. That side sound port gives a clear view to place each transducer, unlike the blind non view through a regular guitar sound hole. Which means the template, golf tee and tiny stick aren’t needed.

To install each transducer:
- Put stickum (provided) on the end of a paint stir stick (or similar),
- put the transducer on the stickum,
- put superglue or double sided tape on the transducer,
- insert though the sound port to the correct spot,
- press and hold until the glue/doubletape is set.

The target spots are under the saddle between strings e-a, d-g, b-e. Perhaps a bit over the high e to un-hot the b string. (With bridge pins in to locate the string holes. Put a little led flashlight inside to light the target spots. And install the jack last.)
Ok cool. That sounds pretty do-able. I just noticed that Amazon has the Enya Nova Go on sale for Prime Days for $159.00. It might just be time to pull the trigger...
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Well Prime Days end tomorrow so I pulled the trigger on the Enya Go ($159) and a Journey Tech pickup ($39) tonight. Should have them in a few days. It’ll be nice to have a (somewhat) indestructible guitar with a pickup that I can take on trips and leave in a hot car if I need to. I appreciate the discussion on this thread. I’m pretty excited.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-12-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Well Prime Days end tomorrow so I pulled the trigger on the Enya Go ($159) and a Journey Tech pickup ($39) tonight. Should have them in a few days. It’ll be nice to have a (somewhat) indestructible guitar with a pickup that I can take on trips and leave in a hot car if I need to. I appreciate the discussion on this thread. I’m pretty excited.
Following to hear your results! I'm intrigued to pick one up myself, GM; but I'm sort of on a spending halt . . .
Old 07-12-2022, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well Prime Days end tomorrow so I pulled the trigger on the Enya Go ($159) and a Journey Tech pickup ($39) tonight.
Can't wait to hear what you think, I saw a performer playing a Klos (plugged in) a couple weeks ago. It was a really small guitar and sounded really good ! Looks like you are on the right path.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

The one I've been looking at online is the (I guess) later-model Enya X4 Pro, stands out with its big off-position soundhole

Lots of yakking in this (I like Sean Daniel and the woman has a divine voice) but eventually he plays both acoustically (though primarily with the guitar-based effects) and then plugged in. There's a pickup and a mic in there IIRC.

Not sure if the embed will work so I'm posting it both ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmFnZ5-atvc

Old 07-14-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
The one I've been looking at online is the (I guess) later-model Enya X4 Pro, stands out with its big off-position soundhole

Lots of yakking in this (I like Sean Daniel and the woman has a divine voice) but eventually he plays both acoustically (though primarily with the guitar-based effects) and then plugged in. There's a pickup and a mic in there IIRC.

Not sure if the embed will work so I'm posting it both ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmFnZ5-atvc

I saw the videos for the X4 Pro and it is really impressive for the money. I decided to go with the Nova Go because it's quite a bit smaller and will take up less space in the car. And it being really cheap helped seal the deal too. LOL If I get as much use out of the Nova Go as I think I will, an X4 may be in my future down the road. I just wish they had a version with a standard pickup instead of the electronics with all the effects. Anyway, Sean Daniel also did a review of the one I got, but his is in a Barbie Dreamhouse pastel purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2KuuK6Qfk&t=743s
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 09-26-2022, 06:35 PM

Default What gauge can the Go withstand?

Ok since everyone ignored my question on the other more recent thread which became all about the X4, I am reframing my comments here:

"I pulled the trigger on a Nova Go last week since it was down to $159 again!

I'm very impressed with the guitar. It actually reminds me a great deal of one of the Macpherson Touring guitars, but cheaper. The saddle on mine is flush with the slot and doesn't appear to have a weird angle. It looks like Tusq or maybe even Bone. I don't think the saddle radius matches the neck radius perfectly tho as the intonation is a bit wonky on the 6th string. The intonation is arguably better in the middle strings than my Emerald X7, but I'm just judging off the mediocre stock strings.

What is the heaviest string gauge anyone's tried on one of these? I generally use a set 16-56 and a bit worried this little plastic joy might buckle lol. I'm also a tad concerned that the nut is not removable and is part of the mold. Still I'll be playing this thing in bed and walking/hiking trips."

Last edited by Crowyote; 09-26-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
What is the heaviest string gauge anyone's tried on one of these? I generally use a set 16-56 and a bit worried this little plastic joy might buckle lol. I'm also a tad concerned that the nut is not removable and is part of the mold.
I have no experience with the Nova Go, but carbon fiber can take more tension than wood. The short scale should also help to keep the tension down.
Do you have to modify the nut for heavier strings? Guitars with a zero fret usually have wide nut slots out of the box.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-07-2022, 09:14 PM

...how 'bout cutting a hole under the strings halfway between the leaf ports and the bridge... and mount a mag pickup? It competes with the yamaha apxt2 ....which probably already has a better pickup system than you'll be able to install in the Enya. Not completely carbonfiber though. I'd still go with the apxt2, between the two.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 10-11-2022, 04:49 PM

These are cheap again today, but it seems they're out of tune in many demo videos. Not a good sign.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
These are cheap again today, but it seems they're out of tune in many demo videos. Not a good sign.
Interesting observation. It adds to my suspicion that the makers and marketers of these instruments don’t actually have a lot of real guitar expertise on board. You only have to read the advertising copy to realize that - the lack of any relevant specifications also suggests it. Who ever bought a guitar based on its overall length?

For some reason, the whole thing makes me think of “Galaxy Quest”
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Interesting observation. It adds to my suspicion that the makers and marketers of these instruments don’t actually have a lot of real guitar expertise on board.
On the other hand, I've sometimes had a hard time finding relevant measurements for things like upper/lower bout size or fretboard radius even from bigger-name manufacturers. And when I emailed Enya support for the Nova Go fretboard radius, I got a reply back within 24hrs saying it was 16". So they do have a clue about what they're making.

As to the out-of-tune videos, I have found that short-scale instruments (I have an electric with a 19" scale(!)) tend to be more difficult to play in tune. The lower tension means that you can easily pull notes out of tune with your fretting if you're not careful. Combine that with the uncompensated stock saddle and high action and I can see that happening. They do seem to have gotten reviews from some people who are, shall we say, less fixated on details as we are here on AGF.

That said, I have had no tuning issues or otherwise with my Nova Go, and by dropping in a compensated saddle at the proper height, in plays as well as any of my other guitars (narrow neck and short scale taken into account).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber