The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-05-2022, 10:27 AM
Fathand Fathand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 493
Default Repair bending blanket

My bending blanket overheated in a spot and blistered up. On a later bend when pressing on it the blister rubbed off.

Does anyone know how to repair a 1 inch hole in the silicon. I am thinking something like automotive silicon in a tube or silicon tape?





https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...posted-public/

Last edited by Fathand; 07-05-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2022, 02:47 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,480
Default

Use high temperature silicon. Bend using the un-repaired side. You will probably get some offgassing for a while. Or just use it as it is with the bad side out. Watch your temperature, use a metal strip on either side of the blanket to keep the temperature even. If you are planning on bending many sides order another blanket, while the above will work it is not great as heat is concentrated at the wires. I doubt you will find much else to use to repair it. Cean it with alcohol first and make sure it ir evaporated.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Fathand Fathand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Use high temperature silicon. Bend using the un-repaired side. You will probably get some offgassing for a while. Or just use it as it is with the bad side out. Watch your temperature, use a metal strip on either side of the blanket to keep the temperature even. If you are planning on bending many sides order another blanket, while the above will work it is not great as heat is concentrated at the wires. I doubt you will find much else to use to repair it. Cean it with alcohol first and make sure it ir evaporated.
Thanks, I have bent 2 sides with the hole on the outside so far. 2 more to go on current projects. I wonder if I could get a piece of silicon bakeware and attach it somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2022, 07:34 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
My bending blanket overheated in a spot and blistered up. On a later bend when pressing on it the blister rubbed off.

Does anyone know how to repair a 1 inch hole in the silicon. I am thinking something like automotive silicon in a tube or silicon tape?





https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...posted-public/
You can order a box of Black PTFE grill mats off Amazon. They are black PTFE that are almost paper thin and are designed to use on an outdoor grill to cook vegetables on.

You most likely would have no luck "gluing" them to your blanket, but they can be easily cut to fit and will protect your work as long as you aren't going over 500 degrees F.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-05-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2022, 06:44 AM
Fathand Fathand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Use high temperature silicon. Bend using the un-repaired side. You will probably get some offgassing for a while. Or just use it as it is with the bad side out. Watch your temperature, use a metal strip on either side of the blanket to keep the temperature even. If you are planning on bending many sides order another blanket, while the above will work it is not great as heat is concentrated at the wires. I doubt you will find much else to use to repair it. Cean it with alcohol first and make sure it ir evaporated.
Thanks, this worked, I got some Permatex Red 650 silicon in a tube. Cleaned with alcohol, Slathered it on, rubbed it in a bit, then smoothed by putting masking tape over it. Warmed the blanket up to 100 F to speed dying. When dry, I peeled off the masking tape.

Not sure how long it will last but I've done two sides so far.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/per...0ml/1000169229
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2022, 05:22 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Thanks, this worked, I got some Permatex Red 650 silicon in a tube. Cleaned with alcohol, Slathered it on, rubbed it in a bit, then smoothed by putting masking tape over it. Warmed the blanket up to 100 F to speed dying. When dry, I peeled off the masking tape.

Not sure how long it will last but I've done two sides so far.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/per...0ml/1000169229
I had some nichrome wire and been known to take a leap of faith made a whole blanket out of the stuff (I got a big tube). I did a couple dozen sides with it before I bought a proper blanket.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Fathand Fathand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I had some nichrome wire and been known to take a leap of faith made a whole blanket out of the stuff (I got a big tube). I did a couple dozen sides with it before I bought a proper blanket.
A lot of work for a $65 blanket 😀,
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2022, 06:46 AM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
A lot of work for a $65 blanket 😀,
With shipping well over $100 back ten years ago and I only planned on making 2-3 guitars. It was more of a challenge, could I make a guitar without buying a bunch of stuff. Now if I only kept to that plan...
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2022, 10:01 AM
Fathand Fathand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
With shipping well over $100 back ten years ago and I only planned on making 2-3 guitars. It was more of a challenge, could I make a guitar without buying a bunch of stuff. Now if I only kept to that plan...
I know the feeling, every one I build makes me want to build 3 more
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=