The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Smile Ebony CG Rollers ?

Hi.
Are there ebony replacement rollers for classical guitars ? I don't mean the buttons/handles.. the rollers...IF so, can they be obtained and R&R-ed while retaining the rest of the tuner mechanism ? Or must the entire set of 6 (3 per side) be changed where the rollers are already ebony ? M
Old 08-07-2020, 04:45 PM

I don't know if there are ebony rollers to retrofit existing tuners. But if you are buying replacement tuners check out Gotoh Classical tuners. They come with optional black aluminium rollers. Google, Gotoh 35ARB1800 for an example.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:23 PM

Do you mean literally ebony wood, or just black in color?

The wood idea: no.

Swapping a black roller for whatever's there now: Yes, in most cases, and it just depends on the tuner. Some are an easy swap, some are a hard swap, some are better off just buying new ones...
Old 08-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Yes, I do mean actual ebony wood...I've a theory that going out of tune allot is possibly being caused by the plastic rollers expanding and contracting. Ebony would likely be the material that would do this the least...There are flamenco guitars with ebony friction pegs..I think ebony rollers would be nice.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:14 PM

I have retrofitted ebony barrells to classical machine heads, unlikely you can buy parts of the shelf to achieve this, i used a lathe to machine them up

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 PM

mirwa, how do they fare far as helping to hold tuning ? Did you do if for this same reason, or was it just for esthetic value ?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:38 PM

Customer wanted ebony barrels, I do not think there was an issue with tuning

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Unless you’re going back and forth between severe temperature extremes, I’m inclined to doubt that the rollers are expanding and contracting enough to make a difference in string pitch.
I think it’s more likely that the top is expanding and contracting from humidity changes.

And, oh by the way, nylon strings just don’t stay in tune. Mine has steel tuner capstans and still has to be re-tuned every time I pick it up.

All that said, if you give me some dimensions, I’ll have a go at turning some of ebony.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair