The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Gretsch G100CE Tailpiece Has Broken!

Well i have a Gretsch G100CE archtop and decided to do some recording, opened the case and the tailpiece has broken at the hinge. I have to say i'm gobsmacked, guitar has been well cared for and kept in its case at no extreme temperature one way or the other, its fitted with 12 gauge strings and i use use it tuned down 3 half steps.....to make things worse i'm in the u.k so little chance of easily getting a replacement part.
Here are the images

Thanks
Rob.

Last edited by RobKay; 03-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:04 PM

Here ya go:

https://darrenriley.com/store/gretsc...ce-0069833000/

FYI I've also seen them on eBay; that said, speaking as a lifelong Gretsch guy your long-term interests might be better-served with a standard Gretsch "G" tailpiece like those used on the late-model Electromatics:

https://www.angela.com/gretschelectr...tailpiece.aspx

More durable, cheaper, and probably easier to get in the UK to boot...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 AM

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the links, its a very cheaply made tailpiece and can probably be repaired at a crunch but wont look pretty, makes you think its probably best to get an instrument that uses standard type hardware. I'll order a new one just in case i decide to sell the guitar later.
Just to add theres a lot of tension on them two bits of metal, gretsch needs a rethink on that tailpiece....
Thanks again.
Rob(uk)

Last edited by RobKay; 03-29-2020 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:24 AM

My Eastman Acoustic Archtop pulled apart at the hinge also. Freaked me out because I was tuning it up after being in short term storage. It just popped and pieces went flying! Eastman was great at sending an upgraded replacement and I was able to put it on with no issues. Anyway, good luck with the repair.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for your thoughts......not a great response from Fender u.k. or the Gretsch/fender us...basically contact your local gretsch dealer and they will inform you how much it will be and an estimated delivery date, i know its strange times at the moment but i expected someone to stick the bit in an envelope and send us x amount and thats it.......i was going to buy one of the Gretsch Chet Atkins top of the range guitars but i won't be bothering now.
So there we go one Gretsch guitar stuck in its case.....useless.
Rob(uk)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
...I was going to buy one of the Gretsch Chet Atkins top of the range guitars but I won't be bothering now...
Lifelong Gretsch guy here - growing up in Brooklyn (my grandparents lived three blocks from the old 60 Broadway factory) Gretsch was our hometown brand and inevitably your first "good" guitar, got my first one in May 1964 (still own it), and use a '15 Electromatic G5622T-CB 3-pickup semi as my main gigging axe...

That said, I've played several examples of the G100CE and I'll be the first to tell you that even the Korean-made Electromatic 5400/5600-Series hollows/semis are in a whole different league; I wouldn't think twice about buying one of those as a wallet-friendly (under US$1000) pro-level instrument - quality/playability equals and often exceeds that of the Brooklyn originals, tone is straight out the classic Gretsch playbook (check out the reviews on the Electric Guitar subforum) - and as I said I use one as my go-to. The Professional Series is, as expected, the abode of the iconic "Golden Era" guitars: White Falcon (got one of those in my stable), Country Gent, 6120, Tennesseean, Duo-Jet, Double Anniversary et al.: hardware quality/fit-&-finish are slightly better then the E-Matics, and if you absolutely must have a '58 White Penguin, '59 Country Club, or '62 Jet Firebird this is the only way to get it for anything resembling a reasonable price - whether or not the price difference is worth it is up to you, but I wouldn't be put off from Gretsch instruments as a whole by your unfortunate experience...
Old 04-23-2020, 12:22 PM

Thumbs down

Fender the distributors for gretsch are just a waste of time just fob you off to their dealers who don't want to know....not enough money in it...guitars still in bits, looking for a different tail piece......
Old 04-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear, Rob - at this point I'd go with the cheaper/more durable/more available Gretsch "G" tailpiece and get back to playing again...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops