The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I have to admit, I'm done with "polite". As an example, I've played so many boutique P90s that might as well be G&L MFD pickups... I definitely want the old school flavor for this purchase. I just want it at relatively bargain prices...

I realize this thread is old, but I thought I'd weigh in...

I have a stock 2018 Eastman 805 acoustic. I love it, but the tone is not that dry, super punchy archtop thing. It has more sustain, more overtones, more overall warmth. I love its non-traditional tone precisely because I am a flattop player. I should note it has TONS of headroom, so I'm not sure I'd call it polite...it is loud and cuts nicely. I find it quite versatile. (Its neck is moderate size D, not a chunckster).

It is the best built Archie I played in my price range, but it was at the top of my price range. Much better built that the Eastman flattops I've played.

OP: Did you ever find one you liked?

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 07-19-2020, 04:04 PM

The percussive, middy, cutting rhythm thing is very much a product of parallel bracing and no guitar with X bracing is going to sound like that, nor should one expect it to do so. Those parallel braced guitars lack the sweetness and sustain of X braced instruments, because they were not built to sound sweet or to sustain. They are completely different tools the look exactly the same from the outside.
Eastman had been building fine carved violins, cellos and basses for years before they decided to build guitars. They used Bob Benedetto's book as their "guide" and so their archtops lean towards Bob's design features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Jeff, I'm interested in your comment for this, as I know it is your area of expertise.

When the "Loar" guitars came out, I jumped on , I think it was a 400. I sold it on shortly after getting it, then i went to a 700, which I bought from a large German box shifter. It arrived in a gig bag rather than the case, and it looked as if it had been handed round at a drunken beer soaked party. I sent it back, got another, same old gig bag, but so many build faults - sent it bavk again. Got a refund.

However I have heard of many who love them - and I agree that they are more like the old Gibson sound...slightly.

I agree that the Eastman (AR805) is much more "polite" with a more balanced tone and sustain like a flat top, but not like the percussive middly "rhythm box" sound of old Gibsons.

Didn't know they were "tributes" to Benedetto designs ! Zat so?
Old 07-20-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post

OP: Did you ever find one you liked?
I put it on hold because I need to sell some guitars to make physical room in the house. Just don't have the energy to do it... So complicated.

I'm not suffering though. I have a national brass singlecone for the chunky rhythm and volume, and a german silver tricone (modern, not vintage) for the sweet voice and volume. Neither of those will leave my side no matter what.

Under the current world situation I do feel like jerk for even thinking about a guitar when I have those two. Both of those were on my bucket-list for 30 years and somehow I have both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops