The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
David;

Once in a while, years ago, I used to stop by GC right as high school let out. The noise was off-putting but it was fascinating watching a sales person take a garbage guitar and make it sing. I've also heard some really bad players who make a great guitar sound like garbage. My take on that is that of all the pieces parts of the guitar, the player is the one who makes the music.
+1! Evan--You Got It Right!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David;

Once in a while, years ago, I used to stop by GC right as high school let out. The noise was off-putting but it was fascinating watching a sales person take a garbage guitar and make it sing. I've also heard some really bad players who make a great guitar sound like garbage. My take on that is that of all the pieces parts of the guitar, the player is the one who makes the music.
Spot on, Jim. The guitar is nothing without the player. How many of us could make Trigger sound like Willie Nelson does?

I count myself very fortunate to be extremely satisfied with all the instruments I own. They all have their own idiosyncrasies, but I've never been one to spend too much thought in wondering how I could make them 'better', especially when there's little chance that I'll ever really know whether a slight change here or there made things even different, let alone a quantifiable change.

That's why I always groan (mostly with a smile, of course) when I see folks wax lyrical about the astounding effect some unverifiable change has made to their instruments.

I trust the maker (especially of a higher end instrument) to be using components chosen for their consistency and functionality. I think it's way more important that things fit properly, and are adjusted correctly than (in the vast majority of cases) what each bit is made of.

Now, I think I'll go and play my glorious, cathedral-like Emerald X20-7 for a while.

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest"
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 08-24-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David;

Amen to that.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David;

Then why do we keep buying guitars, in search of "the one"?
Old 08-24-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Then why do we keep buying guitars, in search of "the one"?
For some it isn't the search for "the one", but merely another one
Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

I suppose I could say that I have yet to find a guitar that matches my superior skills. But that would be fake news. As 500 years of guitar development has demonstrated, there is always room for improvement. I would say the same about guitar play, which is certainly true in my case.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim;

I suppose I could say that I have yet to find a guitar that matches my superior skills. But that would be fake news. As 500 years of guitar development has demonstrated, there is always room for improvement. I would say the same about guitar play, which is certainly true in my case.
Well, all this talk about guitars, including the description "plays great", and I've yet to find one that makes me sound any better. Seems that I may have plateaued about a year or 40 back. But, I do find that adding a new one now and then keeps me fired up to play... that's the reason I'm using these days. As far as "room for improvement"... yeah, I got lots of that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber